Freakin' Weather...Am I SOL?

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
I'm pretty aggravated. Snowed 15 inches of wet heavy snow last night. Lost power at 10:00 pm while watching TV (vip722). Power came back on for about a minute, and then off again until 7:00 am this morning.

I turn everything on this morning, and the 722 takes a very long time to get up to speed, but the dvr does not function any more. When I power on, I get a message "error 311, an issue has been detected that may affect your ability to record or pause live tv." I've done hard and soft reboots, cleaned the hard drive a couple of times, to no avail. Both tuners work fine, just no dvr.

It's an owned unit, 2 months old. Any body have a fix, or am I screwed out of a few hundred bucks?
THANKS!

ps ~ I already know the advantages of leasing :).

I'm pretty aggravated. Snowed 15 inches of wet heavy snow last night. Lost power at 10:00 pm while watching TV (vip722). Power came back on for about a minute, and then off again until 7:00 am this morning.

I turn everything on this morning, and the 722 takes a very long time to get up to speed, but the dvr does not function any more. When I power on, I get a message "error 311, an issue has been detected that may affect your ability to record or pause live tv." I've done hard and soft reboots, cleaned the hard drive a couple of times, to no avail. Both tuners work fine, just no dvr.

It's an owned unit, 2 months old. Any body have a fix, or am I screwed out of a few hundred bucks?
THANKS!

ps ~ I already know the advantages of leasing :).

It's under warranty if only 2 months old. Call E*. Doesn't matter whether you own it or rent it. If you have DHPP they should ship free.

I just got finished with online tech chat. They are sending me a new unit, no strings. I asked if I would still "own" it and he said yes. No charge, since the 722 is only 2 months old. I did, however, copy the chat, just in case I need evidence of what was said.

THANKS for the help, I feel better. :up

PS _ my 722 was bought off of eBay

Good

I just got finished with online tech chat. They are sending me a new unit, no strings. I asked if I would still "own" it and he said yes. No charge, since the 722 is only 2 months old. I did, however, copy the chat, just in case I need evidence of what was said.

THANKS for the help, I feel better. :up

PS _ my 722 was bought off of eBay

Sounds like a power surge took out the unit. Better put it on a good surge protector when you get the new one. One that also catches zaps thru the sat and ant input. Even better would be a good UPS so when pwr goes down gives you a chance to shut off. I know that we have been hearing a lot of advice about plugging straight into wall but just don't think that is the safe way to go.

UPDATE

Well, my replacement 722 arrived today...pretty fast shipping.

The 722 that I purchased back at the first of the year was brand new, but the one that arrived today says that it's remanufactured.

Is this par for the course??? If this is the way it's supposed to go down, I guess I'm good, but it seems that they would replace my 2 month old 722 with a new unit.

So, what do yall think? Should I ask for a new one, or shut up and be happy? I haven't unboxed it yet.

I had one that did that straight out of the box. And of course it was the only one I had on the truck the customer had no problem using it w/o DVR functions till I got back the next day to replace it again.

Every time there is a power outage our office seems to always get 1 or 2 calls about some sort of receiver issue including failed equipment. TVA keeps the voltages cranked way up in this area. The average reading directly from receptacle is 135 to 140 volts.

i had my 625 for 2 1/2 years and i woke up one day and it did the same thing...until then i had never seen the problem. but since then, i have replaced several rec's at customers homes for the same error message. but yeah, no problem for me either, i just called dish, told them my hard drive was bad, and they didnt even have me go through troubleshooting, just sent me another.
it's just a maxtor hard drive in there. good brand, but all hard drives have a chance of failure after time.
but anyway, you're unlikely to get a new unit. if you tell them somethings wrong with this one, they'll just send another reman. reman's are fine though.

Every time there is a power outage our office seems to always get 1 or 2 calls about some sort of receiver issue including failed equipment. TVA keeps the voltages cranked way up in this area. The average reading directly from receptacle is 135 to 140 volts.

If you are getting that high of a voltage out of the outlet, you had better call TVA to come out and check it! That isn't right and may indicate a problem with the neutral connection to the power company, or a faulty voltmeter! It really shouldn't be much higher than 122 volts per phase under load...

Okay, I just activated the replacement. Everything seems to be functioning...except the EPG is only showing current and the next hour. I did a soft reboot, but nothing changed. I think I'll do another check switch to force an EPG download, unless some of you folks recommend something else.? BTW, the soft reset took a huge amount of time (10 minutes).

The thing that most often kills electronic equipment isn't surges; usually it is browns. As Bob Haller recommends, a UPS or fancy line conditioner can help with this as they either provide proper voltage or they shut off the power entirely.

$99 equipment upgrade fee from nowhere

Need to reposition wing dish to get HD locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)