Free DVR Upgrade Offer. Should I replace my VIP722?

EmpireState

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
My VIP722 has been rock solid for many years but I received a free upgrade offer that expires on 1/31. My 722 has always worked great but lately I have noticed intermittent blocky pixelation when starting recorded programs or fast forwarding to a new portion of a show, and the time it takes to start a recorded program has increased with a wait time that shows a black screen for several seconds. Not sure if my 722 is getting old or if this is a new firmware issue.

Let me know if you think I should do the free upgrade to something else and if so what receiver should I choose. 24 month contract applies, but I don't care because I am not leaving dish. 922 is excluded from the offer. I'm on the warranty plan right now, probably stupid, so I pay extra each month for service incase equipment fails. Maybe that would cover a failure in the future if I choose not to upgrade now. Not sure.

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Since the 922 isn't included what would you upgrade to--a 722K? Not worth swapping IMO to incur another 24 agreement plus if you use OTA on the 722 you have you'll have to purchase an OTA module for the K although that will allow TV2 OTA access and an extra channel OTA. If your current receiver is bad they'll send you another without another agreement and with the service plan they won't even charge you shipping. Why "upgrade"???
Ed

Since the 922 isn't included what would you upgrade to--a 722K? Not worth swapping IMO to incur another 24 agreement plus if you use OTA on the 722 you have you'll have to purchase an OTA module for the K although that will allow TV2 OTA access and an extra channel OTA. If your current receiver is bad they'll send you another without another agreement and with the service plan they won't even charge you shipping. Why "upgrade"???
Ed
well said :up

You can probably get that 722 replaced with a 722k w/o contract, since you are on the warranty plan. Just address the audio drop outs. pixelation, and other probs. Sorry, "old corps" beat me to it. I can only add this: make sure you either get the OTA module included or ask if you can remove it if you bought it. Also, make sure to ask if it will work on the K. Even if you don't use/have an OTA module, you might be able to get a free one included with your replacement.

Last edited:
I can only add this: make sure you either get the OTA module included or ask if you can remove it if you bought it. Also, make sure to ask if it will work on the K. Even if you don't use/have an OTA module, you might be able to get a free one included with your replacement.
The OTA tuner in a 722 is not removable so it can't be transferred to a K model.
The 722K has an optional OTA module that is not included. I would suggest asking to get it as part of the upgrade.

Thanks guys. I'm keeping my VIP722, I've never been unhappy with it and I really don't need the additional OTA tuner.

I appreciate the effort from Dish though. The Dish offer included some free PPV certificates and free Starz for a few months. I called them about it and they bumped Starz up to a year and dropped $10 off my monthly bill just because I said, "what else do you have to give me for free". The CS found those offers and gave them to me. Dish has been treating me fairly well lately, I'm a long time customer. Thanks Dish.

The OTA tuner in a 722 is not removable so it can't be transferred to a K model.
The 722K has an optional OTA module that is not included. I would suggest asking to get it as part of the upgrade.
TY for clarifying that. I don't have an OTA tuner, so wouldn't know.

. . . or if this is a new firmware issue.
My 722 has the same issues and a couple more that arrived with new firmware updates. I have been offered replacements by a Field Supervisor that suggested that I stick with the 722 if I can. But the issues are starting to get really bad as if the thing is being programmed to implode.

And the cheapest place I have found the 722k OTA module, is Amazon.com.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts