Free sat v7 questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Macy's is indeed on 105W. But i'm not aware of BVN being there. as far as I know BVN is on 113W on 2 transponders, and also on 97W as part of a multi-channel transponder. Move slightly east from Macy's and you should get 103W with NHK World and RT and CGTN.

NHK, RT, and CGTN are part of the Srv_1 through Srv_6 that he's getting, so he's somewhere between 103 and 105. No idea where he's getting BVN from in that circumstance though, unless they're testing it somewhere new.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Macy's is indeed on 105W. But i'm not aware of BVN being there. as far as I know BVN is on 113W on 2 transponders, and also on 97W as part of a multi-channel transponder. Move slightly east from Macy's and you should get 103W with NHK World and RT and CGTN.

97 can be trickier than expected because it's sandwiched between 2 stronger birds, so it's quite easy to miss
See if you can get 95W, that's the one with a bunch of Chinese channels, and hop from there. Or 99W, that has a strong transponder with JBS in HD and some radio channels with a video slide that's in Cyrillic (Russian) characters.

Wow. Confused now, the svr channels are rt, nhk, cgtn, posss. A discovery no name but had truck u on it, then macy 4 and 5 macys music, and micro, microhd, and $ microhd. .. I am at magentic so. 179

Wow. Confused now, the svr channels are rt, nhk, cgtn, posss. A discovery no name but had truck u on it, then macy 4 and 5 macys music, and micro, microhd, and $ microhd. .. I am at magentic so. 179
The SRV channels you mention are definitely on 103W and the Macys channels are on 105W so your dish is now pointed at/just slightly west of 103W. If you are looking for 97W then you need to move your dish about 6 degrees to the east and just a bit higher in elevation.

P.S. Welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

Last edited:
And if your going to do more than just play around to see what you can get a satellite meter is an excellent investment. The cheapest ones for $20 or so just buzz to tell you your on a satellite but not which one. Step up a little bit and you can input a transponder frequency/symbol rate for the satellite your looking for and then tune right to it without all the fuss and muss. I have motorized dishes but KU and C band but with a static dish I can find a satellite in just a few minutes with a decent meter. Saves you hours of hair pulling and profanity.

And if your going to do more than just play around to see what you can get a satellite meter is an excellent investment. The cheapest ones for $20 or so just buzz to tell you your on a satellite but not which one. Step up a little bit and you can input a transponder frequency/symbol rate for the satellite your looking for and then tune right to it without all the fuss and muss. I have motorized dishes but KU and C band but with a static dish I can find a satellite in just a few minutes with a decent meter. Saves you hours of hair pulling and profanity.

I still use the “haul the TV outside” method :biggrin

I did pick up a sat finder, $18 one, guess i should have ponied up for a digital. Thinkinv i may have magnetic field issue, to compass' say im at 179. But sats at 104ish. .i used dish aligner app but i think it put me around 93,95 got all $ .52 channels.

Part of the learning curve. :)

Ok, question about my v7. Is it dvbs2 as seller stated, if yes why am i not seeing the dv s2 channels from 103
Seller claimed dvbs2 and 8psk.?

Yes, it is. Are you getting anything on 103?

if yes why am i not seeing the dv s2 channels from 103
Seller claimed dvbs2 and 8psk.?

These are more complex waveforms and require two things. First of all they need a bigger dish than standard DVB-qpsk feeds and the dish needs to be ['dialed in'] aimed correctly. A dish that is just aimed 'so so' gets enough signal for the stronger transponders to play video but with a marginal dish you need to have that dish be tuned dead nuts on in order to get the 8-psk type feeds. With a better satellite meter you rough aim your dish on a standard qpsk dvb feed and get the signal as strong as you can and then you select a 8-psk feed and fine tune the azimuth, elevation and skew to dial it in. If you can't get any of the 8-psk feeds your dish is either too small or the dish isn't peaked correctly or both. In your case a 33 inch dish is way too small for 8-psk. A 100cm dish 'might' be able to get some of them but a 1.2 meter KU dish is best.

These are more complex waveforms and require two things. First of all they need a bigger dish than standard DVB-qpsk feeds and the dish needs to be ['dialed in'] aimed correctly. A dish that is just aimed 'so so' gets enough signal for the stronger transponders to play video but with a marginal dish you need to have that dish be tuned dead nuts on in order to get the 8-psk type feeds. With a better satellite meter you rough aim your dish on a standard qpsk dvb feed and get the signal as strong as you can and then you select a 8-psk feed and fine tune the azimuth, elevation and skew to dial it in. If you can't get any of the 8-psk feeds your dish is either too small or the dish isn't peaked correctly or both. In your case a 33 inch dish is way too small for 8-psk. A 100cm dish 'might' be able to get some of them but a 1.2 meter KU dish is best.
I agree with your explanation, but still, with a 33" I think he should be able to pull in the main NBC transponders on 103, maybe not reliably (especially during rain/snow), but still detect them. I remember being able to get those on a Superdish. Same, I think, for the main PBS transponder on 125W. But yes a larger dish would be a lot better

I agree with your explanation, but still, with a 33" I think he should be able to pull in the main NBC transponders on 103, maybe not reliably (especially during rain/snow), but still detect them. I remember being able to get those on a Superdish. Same, I think, for the main PBS transponder on 125W. But yes a larger dish would be a lot better

What is a Superdish?

Yes i have good signal on 103,
I got brownie deal today, lol. Ebay refunded me for v7 due to seller ebay violation,
Question, i found 4 48" dishes local cheap, but the arms and miunts are missing.... Can i get them or. Ake them??

What is a Superdish?
it's a dish that was used by Dish Network to get 121W, 119W and 110W. Because 121W is a bit lower power than the other Dish satellites, the dish is slightly larger than the usual DN and DirecTV dishes. If I remember correctly it's about 60cm tall and oval in shape. Anyway, my point was that I was able to get NBC on 103W with something smaller than a 33" dish. It was not reliable reception but nevertheless those channels did scan in.

Reactions: danristheman
Yes i have good signal on 103,
I got brownie deal today, lol. Ebay refunded me for v7 due to seller ebay violation,
Question, i found 4 48" dishes local cheap, but the arms and miunts are missing.... Can i get them or. Ake them??
definitely get them (if the price is right). You can always get creative with the arms and mounts later

The DISH super dish was mainly larger due to the fact that signals on 105 and 121 were not as strong as their own "super" powered satellites. :)

Reactions: danristheman
it's a dish that was used by Dish Network to get 121W, 119W and 110W. Because 121W is a bit lower power than the other Dish satellites, the dish is slightly larger than the usual DN and DirecTV dishes. If I remember correctly it's about 60cm tall and oval in shape. Anyway, my point was that I was able to get NBC on 103W with something smaller than a 33" dish. It was not reliable reception but nevertheless those channels did scan in.

So theoretically I could get PBS on CBand right now with my existing 90cm GeoSat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)