Free source of Belden CATV RG6 coax cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Our local cable supplier, Rogers, is upgrading the cable feeds in our area. They are replacing the RG6 drops with RG11. In many cases they have installed new temporary RG6 drops. When the installer removes the RG6, which is in pristine condition, with the RG11, the RG6 is trashed.
I have acquired about 250 ft of the discarded RG6 and it is in perfect condition. I test it by inserting it inline with the cable box and using the service menu I can read the additional loss. It measures -4db per 100 ft at 819mhz. Not bad at all. Perfect for OTA as well as FTA.

I would like to try some RG11. Maybe I can scrouge some from the cable guy the next time he comes by. Bear in mind you need special connectors or adapters and the cable is stiff and ackward to handle. My longest sat feed is about 85 feet of quad RG6 without any problem. I have always used quad coax or other quality cable. I stay away from bargain crap. Also I use compression connectors.

What was their rationale for running RG11 to the home? Seems like a lot of bother to me. (Having flashbacks to my college days with first-generation Ethernet...)

I love Rg11, I run that more then I do rg6 on installs half the time

Been trying to see if I can get a spool of flex 500 cable

What was their rationale for running RG11 to the home? Seems like a lot of bother to me. (Having flashbacks to my college days with first-generation Ethernet...)
I believe customers are complaining that they can not achieve the internet download speeds that Roger's is claiming to sell to them. They had to upgrade the cable at my place as I was only getting a 40 Mb download speed but was paying for 100 Mb. After the upgrade, I am at 57Mbps.

Last edited:
50 plus megabits? Wow... I've been clunking along at 17 megabits and have been happy as a lark (except for the monthly data cap, which I routinely hit).

I believe customers are complaining that they can not achieve the internet download speeds that Roger's is claiming to sell to them. They had to upgrade the cable at my place as I was only getting a 40 Mb download speed but was paying for 100 Mb. After the upgrade, I am at 57Mbps.

Are you running ethernet from the modem to the computer? Also does the computer have a gigabit Ethernet card?

Over here, charter has 100 mbps internet available. With an RG6 drop to the house, ethernet, and a gigabit lan card I have run speed tests and gotten an average of 95 mbps into the computer.

There are a lot of factors that could be kicking the speed down

A lot of the Rogers customers in our area are running cable TV, VOIP and internet on the same feed. It makes sense to provide RG11, especially on longer runs over 100 feet.

Are you running ethernet from the modem to the computer? Also does the computer have a gigabit Ethernet card?

Over here, charter has 100 mbps internet available. With an RG6 drop to the house, ethernet, and a gigabit lan card I have run speed tests and gotten an average of 95 mbps into the computer.

There are a lot of factors that could be kicking the speed down

I have Gigabyte everything. However since I flashed my switch, it has now become the bottleneck at 57Mbps. The new firmware slowed it down.

I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Here's why I say they are upgrading to RG11 so they can upgrade there system to QAM 1024.

Attenuation. RG11 probably should have been run in the first place, but the RG6 was working fine for older systems. When they started adding services that required more bandwidth and higher signal integrity, they couldn't get away with the RG6 lines anymore.

All Rogers Cable is sweep tested to 1Ghz, not the 2.4 or 3 that the Sat Installers use. Even the RG11 will be 1Ghz because their system stops at 862Mhz.

All Rogers Cable is sweep tested to 1Ghz, not the 2.4 or 3 that the Sat Installers use. Even the RG11 will be 1Ghz because their system stops at 862Mhz.

But wouldn't this allow for some headroom for future plans?

That's why I only bum compression fittings from cable installers. Their cable generally leaves a lot to be desired. For cable, I buy Perfect Vision satellite cable from Fleabay.

The RG6 Belden coax from Rogers does work OK on my sat installs. I have compared it to sat quad cable side by side over a 50 foot run. The STB Q reading is the same. The cable may be conservatively rated to 1GHZ, but it obviously excedes the rating.
Also works great with my OTA antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts