Freezing on Genie at various times during use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I've had an issue with my Genie that is really starting to get old, and I've been on the phone with DirecTv Tech Support, and they do not seem to have any solutions.

The unit seems to freeze at various times and I'll explain below.

Sometimes when pressing List, there is a very long pause before it comes up....

When scrolling down thru the available items to play...

When pressing Exit to return from the List back to full screen TV....

However, the worst of it is when F-FWD thru a commercial, the bar will disappear from the bottom of the screen, and the unit will simply stop responding to all input for several seconds and it continues to speed thru the program.

This happens whether watching in front of it or trying to watch from it on another unit in the house.

A red button reset does not correct this, and a system test does not give any error codes (except for a dial tone error when working on the phone with DirecTv customer support).

Any suggestions as to how to correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I've had an issue with my Genie that is really starting to get old, and I've been on the phone with DirecTv Tech Support, and they do not seem to have any solutions.

The unit seems to freeze at various times and I'll explain below.

Sometimes when pressing List, there is a very long pause before it comes up....

When scrolling down thru the available items to play...

When pressing Exit to return from the List back to full screen TV....

However, the worst of it is when F-FWD thru a commercial, the bar will disappear from the bottom of the screen, and the unit will simply stop responding to all input for several seconds and it continues to speed thru the program.

This happens whether watching in front of it or trying to watch from it on another unit in the house.

A red button reset does not correct this, and a system test does not give any error codes (except for a dial tone error when working on the phone with DirecTv customer support).

Any suggestions as to how to correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Is this an HR34? Several people have reported this issue with a recent software release. My guess is that it will be fixed soon....

This is the way my HR34 has been since day 1. It got better for a few weeks after the clearmybox code, but it's been obnoxious again for a couple days.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just another case of why the HR34 is flawed from day one, Thank god I never had it, HR44 is world's better, But for how long it stays that way? Who knows, maybe until a software breaks it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I have not had much trouble out of my HR34.

On rare occasions, I've lost the Home Sharing but, I am currently using the "unsupported" home networking version of Whole Home DVR, and sometimes get "No Networked DVR's found" but, my 2 other DVR's can see and play items from my Genie.

I do a red button reset, and all is well.

After I posted this thread, I found a similar thread and someone mentioned the HR34 and HR44 use the same software but the HR44 runs better due to a better CPU. Another poster made reference to a possible firmware issue causing the problem.

So, I'm asking the experts. This is a rather irritating problem. It's getting rather old, if you know hat I mean. Is it worth waiting on DirecTv to correct it? Is the HR44 problem free? Is it worth calling DirecTv and requesting a swap to the HR44 due to this problem?

Thanks.

The HR34 and the HR44 use the same basic software although I am sure there are internal software "switches" because of hardware differences. There is a software issue in the latest release of the HR34 software that causes slowdowns and other similar issues but not a whole home problem, so my guess is that yours is a different issue, and DirecTv won't look at it because you are using unsupported whole home.
DirecTV won't swap out the HR34 for an HR44. Joed is correct that if you get a service call, and the tech has an HR44 on the truck, you might be able to persuade him to swap the DVRs.

Just another case of why the HR34 is flawed from day one, Thank god I never had it, HR44 is world's better, But for how long it stays that way? Who knows, maybe until a software breaks it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I've actually had no real problems with my HR34 at all, and for most people that's the case.

I might call for service if I thought it would help.

I'm using the "unsupported Whole Home" because the techs that installed my Genie didn't know what they were doing to "network" connect my DVR's, took the necessary hardware to do so, and upon the first attempt, whatever they hooked up froze my whole home network. So, since they didn't know what they did wrong, they just took everything.

2nd, I don't pay the fee for free service calls, and I can't see paying for a service call to solve an issue they know is a problem.

I have long since forgotten what kind of hardware is necessary to make my Whole Home work the "DirecTv way" and I'm not sure what they would charge me to install that now if I were to call and ask for it....

We have been having this problem since the last upgrade. Had tech out and found no problem with the Hr34 system. So it has to be the software. Due for a free upgrade in September. May call today and see what can be done sooner.

Just got off the phone with tech support. A new software update is being worked on to fix the problem soon.

Reactions: glen4cindy
Now I have been told by the tech support and the sales support that the HR34 and the HR44 are the same. (even though I was to understand on Satellite Guys the HR44 has a faster processor) If you have an HR34 you may or may not get an HR44 should the HR34 fail. Now the premium upgrade plan do not mean you can get an HR44. You can simply can make changes to your equipment without charge. This is how it was explained to me by a sales person. I find their upgrade rules a bit ambiguous. The semantics are tricky. One would think that if you are eligible for an upgrade and would mean you could get the newest equipment. I was told again I may get another HR34. Confusing. What’s the point.

I hope the software download comes soon. I a tried of the delay’s with the HR34.

DirecTV will NOT replace the HR34 with an HR44, you cannot upgrade from one to another. Just as DirecTv considers all DVRs the same, they consider the two genies the same. There are several posts on this and other forums pointing out that this is the policy. It has always been the policy, whether we like it or not!

Reactions: DJ Lon
No, it's not yours. It's a leased receiver just like the ones you get from DirecTV.

DirecTV will NOT replace the HR34 with an HR44, you cannot upgrade from one to another. Just as DirecTv considers all DVRs the same, they consider the two genies the same. There are several posts on this and other forums pointing out that this is the policy. It has always been the policy, whether we like it or not!

They do for some people. Others, like me, they won't.

I called support today to check on the status of a new software release. The fix is still being worked on. The tech had me change some settings on my main DVR and Genie. The changes are under menu-setup-TV Display--
under preferences make sure scrolling effects are off -- under resolutions make sure only the 1080i and 1080p are checked. I am not sure about other tv’s with lower resolutions. So far this appears to be working.

HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)