Front Projection Help?

Nope, The original lamp is under a 30 day warranty. I guess it is better to happen now then in 31 days.

Well I received the projector today. :D Set it up and turned it on for the first time to begin the setup and configuration of it. Then after 2 min of use the bulb blew. :mad: I guess I will just have to wait a few more days to play around with it.

WTF? That is insane!! You didn't order the secondary lamp at the same time? I always make sure to have two lamps; 1 in and 1 on the shelf.

Already ahead of you Charper, but I am not going to put my bought lamp in until I know that it is not the projector blowing the lamps. I would hate to see the extra one go up in smoke also.

If I had an extra lamp and mine had just blown... it would either be working or toast by now ;)

The only thing that is saving mine right now is that I don't have a screen yet. I wanted to make sure I did not go to large or small so I taped out the screen size I was thinking of and then set the projector to fill that size to be sure it was not to large. I found during the few minutes that it was operating that 106" should be just about perfect.

Ahh, I see now!

I figured that if I bought a lamp and the extended warranty, I should never be down. Once the lamp goes, I will replace it with mine and then swap the other via warranty. This will give me three replacements without having to spend any extra money over the next couple of years.

Just bought the 106" Da-Lite screen to go with my projector. Now I just have to live with the anticipation until I get both of them.

Screen arrived today and it only took a couple of minutes to have it installed. Now if I can only get the projector back from the exchange. It shipped back out from them today so I should have it when I get home form work on Friday. I have already relocated all of my audio/video equipment down to the new room. Next step is to setup the speakers and play with the configuration until I get the right sound for the room.

Received the projector today and I tested it and all I can say is...

WOW

The picture quality is better than I could ever believe. Started to play Meet the Robinson's on Blu-Ray and the quality was just outstanding. No I just need to get it mounted to the ceiling and all the cables run and I will be all set.

Thanks to everybody that gave me their help and recommendations in this thread.

wow...i have to love it!! frkn amazing isnt ??

Make sure you do 2 things:
1. use digital video essentials to correctly set the white and black levels.
2. ensure that you sit far enough back not to see the pixels / screen door effect. If this is not possible, slightly defocus your PJ to blur out the pixels.

enjoy!!

Gregg

1. use digital video essentials to correctly set the white and black levels.

The HD-DVD version of video essentials is on my list to purchase.

2. ensure that you sit far enough back not to see the pixels / screen door effect. If this is not possible, slightly defocus your PJ to blur out the pixels.

Do you think that 20 feet is plenty far enough back. :D

frkn amazing isnt ??

Yes it is. I was a little worried about the whole setup but after seeing it in action, I will never not have a FPTV.

Do you think that 20 feet is plenty far enough back.
Have a look at the graph in this post
http://www.satelliteguys.us/974649-post12.html

20' is about the distance from which a normal human eye would not see the "screen door" on a 100" screen at 720 lines of resolutions.

But if there is something remarkable in Panasonic LCDs, it's the unnoticable "screen door".
Hence, try closer, 15-12-10'. If "pixelization" annoys you - move back. I doubt it will.

The "in the action" experience when sitting close to the screen (i.e. having a large field of view),
can "compensate" for some imperfections you might see in still images and will hardly notice while watching movies.

Diogen.

The "in the action" experience when sitting close to the screen (i.e. having a large field of view),
can "compensate" for some imperfections you might see in still images and will hardly notice while watching movies.

hi, not a chance on this. If you can see the SDE, or pixel structure (if that is what you are referring to) you are sitting too close or you need to defocus the PJ. . If one was to use this logic you could say, just watch SD satellite when viewing a large size, because it is big so it wont matter that it is only 1.5 m/s of data.

If you can see the SDE, or pixel structure... you are sitting too close or you need to defocus...
I have seen the previous generation Panasonic twice (two evenings).
From what I've seen this "defocusing" is already done by the manufacturer. And you can't undo it.
If one was to use this logic you could say, just watch SD satellite...
On a 800x450 resolution screen it takes a split second to differentiate between a SD and HD feed.

Diogen.

I have seen the previous generation Panasonic twice (two evenings).
From what I've seen this "defocusing" is already done by the manufacturer. And you can't undo it.

On the Panny AE 500 / AE 700 and AE 900 series units it is not done by the manufacturer. I am also willing to bet that if you asked one of the their marketing reps they would say that they desire you to see the pixel structure. Pixel structure and recreating the "film experience" are incongruent terms.

Gregg Loewen
Datacolor Product Trainer
ISF Video Instructor
THX Video Instructor

On the Panny AE 500 / AE 700 and AE 900 series units it is not done by the manufacturer.
I don't know what they do and what it is called.
I know that AE 700 (I think) has a pixel structure much much less noticable (nose to the screen)
than any other LCD/DLP projector in the same class/price range I've seen.

Diogen.

hey Diogen!

excellent observation, you are 100% correct.

Manufacturers have been consistantly trying to minimize pixel structure (aka: screen door effect) and the Panny AE 700 was consistant with their efforts. For this reason I do very much like the panny PJs (please note below). The higher the resolution the less evident the SDE will be.

The above being said....you never want to see any pixel structure. I know in your arguement you said the image size made up for it....however....give your self a large picture size and then defocus it (or sit at a proper distance back) and you will say OH MY GAWD!!. You will see a huge difference, the image will become film like and you will have much less eye fatigue.

*Note*
While I do very much like the LCD images produced by the Panny PJs (especially at their price points) I have NEVER seen any of them grow old gracefully. Usually within a 1000 hours their image substantially degrades (the LCD panels). This is visually evidenced by color uniformity issues (green blobs, hazy parts to the image, etc). If one does chose this technology (and that if its sister LCOS/XSRD) also get an extended warranty that will cover this degradation issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)