Frustrated Dish Owner - I cant be alone on this!

why because his opinion differs from yours??:rolleyes::rolleyes: he said nothing that most of us don't know already. Let the guy express himself. its always the same BS around here :no. I've had both providers and they both have issues, period. the sensitivity that a few show would indicate the some here like to lick charlies a** hole.......... and the same goes for those who do this exact thing on the Directv side.

Umm, you guys slamming the OP should read this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/217987-frustrated-dish-owner-i-cant-alone.html

There's some background behind this post that may clarify things a bit.

I have only been a dish customer for the past 9 months (15 year former comcast customer who never registered any complaint) but have become increasingly frustrated with my Dish account as we move into the digital age. Let me preface that I am not trying to bash Dish or Directv, my Dish service has been, for the most part, enjoyable if perhaps a little expensive (more on that in a moment). I just want a service that can meet my needs, which I feel are becoming more standard every day as HD becomes common place and I wonder if Directv would be more accommodating.

Please let me explain my dilema.

And yet he says nothing about early termination Fees...hmmmmm or the fee to ship receivers back hmmmmmm

I wonder how got out of his contract with Dish? I thought he said he was a customer for only 9 months

I got out by being charged $195 early termination fee! :rant:

Was a big pill to swallow when coupled with the $400 I paid Directv for 3 additional HD boxes (1 more DVR and 2 more receivers, 5 in total).

Like I said, I called Dish two days ago with zero intention to leave. I liked the service, loved redzone without sunday ticket and had good experiences. But when I tried to find out how to get 5 HD rooms for my new theatre room and newly finished basement I was met with a ton of resistance.

Despite several attempts to rectify that it was not possible as the up front costs would have been slightly higher than the $400 I gave Directv and my monthly costs for the lease of the boxes as well as comparable programming would have been about $60-70 more per month (which really adds up).

The worst part for me was that no one at Dish really tried to keep me. Maybe they did not realize my potential to drop $600 cash or maybe I did not do a good job of explaining it, but they seemed to not care whether I left or not.

Believe it or not I STILL DO NOT know what $600 cash and $100 a month could do to accommodate my need with Dish.

So yeah $600 out of pocket stings but I save that in one year just on service fees and programming changes. Bottom line for me is that if Dish could have given me the same hardware (the Duos simply will not work for me) for the same price and had something less than $60+ month in lease fees I would probably have stayed.

Heck 24 months from now, I will be reviewing Dish again :D

I got out by being charged $195 early termination fee! :rant:

Was a big pill to swallow when coupled with the $400 I paid Directv for 3 additional HD boxes (1 more DVR and 2 more receivers, 5 in total).

Like I said, I called Dish two days ago with zero intention to leave. I liked the service, loved redzone without sunday ticket and had good experiences. But when I tried to find out how to get 5 HD rooms for my new theatre room and newly finished basement I was met with a ton of resistance.

Despite several attempts to rectify that it was not possible as the up front costs would have been slightly higher than the $400 I gave Directv and my monthly costs for the lease of the boxes as well as comparable programming would have been about $60-70 more per month (which really adds up).

The worst part for me was that no one at Dish really tried to keep me. Maybe they did not realize my potential to drop $600 cash or maybe I did not do a good job of explaining it, but they seemed to not care whether I left or not.

Believe it or not I STILL DO NOT know what $600 cash and $100 a month could do to accommodate my need with Dish.

So yeah $600 out of pocket stings but I save that in one year just on service fees and programming changes. Bottom line for me is that if Dish could have given me the same hardware (the Duos simply will not work for me) for the same price and had something less than $60+ month in lease fees I would probably have stayed.

Heck 24 months from now, I will be reviewing Dish again :D
If having HD on 5 TV's really means that much to you....can u loan me a grand or 2??;)

I have only been a dish customer for the past 9 months (15 year former comcast customer who never registered any complaint) but have become increasingly frustrated with my Dish account as we move into the digital age. Let me preface that I am not trying to bash Dish or Directv, my Dish service has been, for the most part, enjoyable if perhaps a little expensive (more on that in a moment). I just want a service that can meet my needs, which I feel are becoming more standard every day as HD becomes common place and I wonder if Directv would be more accommodating.

And yet he says nothing about early termination Fees...hmmmmm or the fee to ship receivers back hmmmmmm

Juan, I do not do flame wars and I see you are hyper sensetive and loyal to Dish; thats perfectly fine.

I am paying $195 early termination and $15 per unit to ship them back. Here is the data from the Dish email I got yesterday because I do not like some implying I am being less than truthful:

Dear RICH,
Return Authorization Number: <removed>
We have processed your request to return the following equipment:

MODEL: CAID: SERIAL NUMBER:
Receiver - ViP722k
Receiver - ViP222k

R0107549900
R0107589592

RRERMU62461D
RRERNU01115E

To help you easily return your equipment, we will be sending you boxes and pre-paid shipping labels.

Within the next two business days, we will send you tracking information for your replacement equipment.

To review your replacement equipment request, log in to your DISH Network online account and select Orders from the left menu.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer.

He said he ate the ETF in the second thread when he signed up with D*. He also mentioned how much he would be paying for the extra D* receivers in that post.

Ok enough flaming.

This is the internet, we need to take people at their word or at least all use our brains to detirmine if a persons story is true or not.

With that said if you search here you will (unfortunately) find stories like this one here from other folks as well. Unfortunately these calls happen from time to time. The old one bad apple saying goes well here because it takes one bad CSR to ruin an opinion of one of its customers. It should not happen but unfortunately it does. :(

It is funny because this thread has me wanting to call Dish and just ask them to tell me the best deal that they can provide to accommodate my 5 HD room need, 2 DVRs, et al with the understanding that I would be willing to drop some coin upfront if they can get me a comparable deal.

My real concern is that Dish:

A) will not lease more than 3 units
B) they have continually questioned why I cant just be happy with the Duo's SD secondary signal
C) want to hit me with up to $17 per month EACH just to use the boxes. At 1 or 2 units that can be palatable, but with 5 its rather cost prohibitive over the course of 24 months.

Those factors aside, I have just never gotten any feeling that they wanted me or cared to do any work to keep me and my money. If I knew I could talk to someone who would at least make a good faith effort to keep me I would make the call.

C) want to hit me with up to $17 per month EACH just to use the boxes. At 1 or 2 units that can be palatable, but with 5 its rather cost prohibitive over the course of 24 months.

Last I saw from what you are getting from D* was one DVR and 4 single HD receivers. With Dish, your one DVR would have been free and the other four @ $7.00.

Last I saw from what you are getting from D* was one DVR and 4 single HD receivers. With Dish, your one DVR would have been free and the other four @ $7.00.

That is true, but at the suggestion of another member and after reviewing my desired setup, I went ahead and paid another $99 to upgrade one of those 4 HD receivers to a second HD DVR.

This would give me 2 DVRs and 3 receivers. It broke down like this:

HD DVR # 1 - Free
HD Receiver # 2 - Free

HD DVR # 2 - $199
HD Receiver # 3 - $99
HD Receiver # 4 - $99

Came to $397 plus tax. Then they took the $20 equipment lease fee ($5 x 4 as first one is free) and discounted my programming to offset those fees (effectively waiving the fee but not technically). The one time Dish did mention the 922's as an option for me they said it was $649 and I would still have to pay a monthly fee and I would need additional receivers on top of that!

From what I have read the Dish 922's are awesome and probably better than the DTV HR-24s I am getting. Unfortunately the Dish equipment lease fees are a deal killer.

Last edited:
And finally, the crowning jewel was telling me that when not if (yes he said that exactly) I come back, I will be required to pay first months service on a credit card before service can be activated".
I've got news for you. This is now standard practice for anyone subscribing to Dish. Everyone now pays for their first month BEFORE they get installed. It has been like that since June 3rd, when new pricing structures were put in, Have fun with Direct.

I've got news for you. This is now standard practice for anyone subscribing to Dish. Everyone now pays for their first month BEFORE they get installed. It has been like that since June 3rd, when new pricing structures were put in,
seems pretty lame. Yep pay for a month BEFORE we even install it. SO if the tech does a shoddy install and you complain we still have your money :rolleyes:

Have fun with Direct.

I know I am. The OP probably will too

The poor OP rushed to judgement. He'sonly going to better off by a few dollars.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/218080-my-dish-vs-directv-horror-story.html

I actually have until July 9 to cancel/change but I have yet to see how or what configuration Dish could provide to be comparable.

To be comparable to the Directv offer I would need to get the following:

5 HD signals (Duo wont work and I do not want to split signals)
At LEAST 1 HD DVR (but would prefer 2)
America's Everything Programming
HD for Life
All non tax fees included (equipment lease, hd, et al)

I would need to get the above for a comparable price to what DTV is offering which is:

Months 1-5: 79.99
Months 6-12: 96.99
Months 13+: 120.99

For this, I would also be willing to pay up to $400 upfront to get proper equipment.

This would not even include Sunday Ticket, which as a football fan I like and is nice but is not required (dish's redzone is great).

Anyone think this is even possible? Maybe I rushed to judgement but I feel my old plain was givng me the shaft so the DTV looks great.

With your termination fee, you are close to $600.00 out of pocket, and that's where the economics go awry.

Agreed and I have said as much. I was so frustrated at the wall I hit with Dish in trying to get someone who cared that it seems a small price to pay. Obviously its a lot of money but if all I get told by Dish is "Bye" instead of some solution, then I have no choice because my requirements really are required, not just "nice to have's".

I did not spend $50k to remodel a basement and create a separate theatre room to see SD signals, who would? And yes I want HD in my bedroom, living room and office.

Workout room and library can be SD all day long :up

Why does anyone feel it is a big deal to have your first month of programming paid upfront? I like it this way because customers don't freak out about their first bill being double anymore.

The payment is usually made by credit card so if you had any disputes you could get your money back. I hope the OP puts some updates on here after he has DirecTV for a while. I'm interested to see if he thinks he made a good decision or not. I guess you never know which is better until you have had both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)