FTA Motors with Azimuth *and* Elevation Control?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Agreed WescoPC. Also as a Lantern supporter, I don't see wide acceptance with the FSS linear KU satellite distribution model especially if a motorized dish is a requirement. Fixed dish installs would have enough challenges, but I believe that there is an adequate installer base around the world to install and service. Introducing unique requirements or equipment to receive Outernet will provide obstacles for the masses to install and service through the eventual hardware failures. Parts need to be readily available and generic.

The Outernet concept of using cubesats with circular polarity would solve the solution completely. A small stub antenna (like that used for SiriusXM or GPS) could be mounted by anyone and would provide excellent reception in fixed or mobile applications. No aiming issues or need for professional installers. The pole could be tilted, shaking and wobbling in the wind with no reception problems! As long as the antenna location can see the sky, the data will be falling like rain!

attachment.php
38270d1095564597-sirius-satellite-radio-antenna-question-dsc3202_upload.jpg

sr6p_lrg__68042.1409179745.1280.1280.gif
yhst-67720110273938_2270_12724765
handperspective.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the idea for using FTA satellite was that it was free, with the exception of the outlay for the dish, etc. From what I read about them the idea is to bring Internet to the masses. The masses might inhabit areas where no subscription services are available, or where socioeconomic conditions exist that preclude payment for satellite service.

As for setting up a fixed satellite dish for dependable long-term service, the success of the project depends on trained individuals in different locations to set up the FTA dishes, or to have a ground station transmit the downlink signal terrestrially and eliminate the need for a dish.

Doesn't SiriusXm offer terrestrial service in some locations, I kind of remember having that option on their portable XM receiver. You had the option to receive the signal either via satellite or a terrestrial link. Terrestrial reception wasn't available at this location though.

FTA satellite time is not free and not necessarily cheaper than piggybacking a different platform. A transport stream is a transport stream is a transport stream.... FSS KU linear satellite signals are just one set of frequencies and transport stream envelope on a readily available platform which has both benefits and shortcomings.

SiriusXM terrestrial signals are used to fill in the missing satellite data especially useful in cities where buildings and other obstacles block the line of sight satellite signals. Otherwise, Howard Stern and your favorite music would disappear from your SiriusXM radio when you drive beside tall buildings (urban canyons) or into parking garages.

Reactions: spongella
Circular polarity, a great idea!

BTW the parameters for the Outernet 113W Ku are 12089/H/11718 according to my Amiko.

Have to bone up on those Cubesats..

One of the Cubesat projects involved using a dongle, the Funcube Pro and the later version Pro Plus. It was to involve youngsters in the field of satellites.

Does anyone know how many functioning Cubesats are out there, and what frequencies they are transmitting on?

Great discussion, always new things to learn from the cognoscenti in the field.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts