Getting started with FTA channels (Astra 4A)

vz3013

Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
USA
Hello, I am new to this FTA satellite channel thing, I have been using FTA DTV (A tv-top antenna) for quite a while but when coming to Satellites I have no idea in anything, I have 2 new old stock DISH dishes kit that are in a oval and the spot where the holes are the drilled in the dish makes it stand in a portrait way rather than landscape, I was hoping to be able to receive channels from Astra 4A in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA if that isn't possible then I would like to connect to a USA satellite that hopefully has something like FOX or NBC, some of the good channels that you can find on the normal free antenna tv, I would like advise on what I need for this

Wanted to welcome to SatelliteGuys!!! However in bed and it is late here on the East Coast. So, not going to get into details in this post, but plenty of guys here will steer you in the right direction. Until then search and read the many threads already here, to give you an idea.

Reactions: vz3013
Wanted to welcome to SatelliteGuys!!! However in bed and it is late here on the East Coast. So, not going to get into details in this post, but plenty of guys here will steer you in the right direction. Until then search and read the many threads already here, to give you an idea.
Im also going to bed now :oldlaugh going to read when I wake up tomorrow morning

Reactions: KE4EST
Good Morning and lots of coffee!
Check out satbeams.com. It will give you an idea of what you may be able to get.
Couple of things. If you live in Africa, you may be in luck.
FTA satellites do not transmit with as much power as the big guys. So usually a dish of 1 meter, 3 feet diameter. would be your minimum. Not sure of how many are doing it with a smaller dish. But it would probably be like a dog.
"Because they can", you know....
Waiting to see what others have to say when they shake off the cobwebs.

Attachments

• Astra4a.jpg
    Astra4a.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 63
He’s in Sioux Falls, SD per his post so Astra is definitely out of the footprint.
Maybe I can connect to Galaxy 3C because according to satbeams, there seems to be a lot of FTA channels such as fox news and many more popular ones

Hello, I am new to this FTA satellite channel thing, I have been using FTA DTV (A tv-top antenna) for quite a while but when coming to Satellites I have no idea in anything, I have 2 new old stock DISH dishes kit that are in a oval and the spot where the holes are the drilled in the dish makes it stand in a portrait way rather than landscape, I was hoping to be able to receive channels from Astra 4A in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA if that isn't possible then I would like to connect to a USA satellite that hopefully has something like FOX or NBC, some of the good channels that you can find on the normal free antenna tv, I would like advise on what I need for this

Maybe I can connect to Galaxy 3C because according to satbeams, there seems to be a lot of FTA channels such as fox news and many more popular ones

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Take a look at the link below. Frequencies that are five digits are KU band. Anything with four digits for frequency is c band and will not be receivable on a small dish.

If you find a satellite and channels that interest you next check the encryption section for the channels you see. Blank usually means in the clear (unscrambled). Anything else like BISS, Powervu, etc is encrypted and will not be receivable.

Things change often with FTA so ask here if you see something of interest to make sure it is still up there. Good luck! :)

I was thinking of connecting to Galaxy 19 frequency 11842 H, also Im wondering how lyngsat knows your location to tell you which satellites are out of range without it ever asking for my location :confused: . I was thinking of getting a GT MEDIA V9 Prime reicever box and a cheap 8 dollar ku fta lnb on eBay.

I was thinking of connecting to Galaxy 19 frequency 11842 H, also Im wondering how lyngsat knows your location to tell you which satellites are out of range without it ever asking for my location :confused: . I was thinking of getting a GT MEDIA V9 Prime reicever box and a cheap 8 dollar ku fta lnb on eBay.

97w (Galaxy 19) is a good choice to start out with. If you point there you should get other transponders on that satellite too provided your dish is big enough and aimed correctly. Not sure what you mean by 'lyngsat knows your location to tell you which satellites are out of range without it ever asking for my location' :what2

I'm not familiar with the V9 as I don't use it myself but if you are looking to start with FTA on a budget then yes the GT Media receiver line should get you going. You might also want to check out the offerings here as you will likely get better after sale support. ;) HyperMegaSat

Reactions: N5XZS

At the top of each lyngsat page for a particular satellite, it has a phrase like "Azimuth & elevation in Seattle, Washington, United States: 147.33° & 30.05°The EIRP values are for Olympia, Washington, United States"

I think it estimates your location based on your IP address it sees when you view their page. It's only an approximation. In my case, it's hundreds of miles off. But good enough for the purpose.

View specific satellite footprints for a better estimate of whether you will be able to receive a satellite.

Philosophy coming warning!

When considering buying equipment for a new hobby, I ask myself if I'm serious about the hobby. If yes, I buy good value, not a cheap price. The reason is a cheap product will eventually disappoint. Then I regret buying it. So first ask yourself if you're serious about a new activity. Then buy.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

At the top of each lyngsat page for a particular satellite, it has a phrase like "Azimuth & elevation in Seattle, Washington, United States: 147.33° & 30.05°The EIRP values are for Olympia, Washington, United States"

I think it estimates your location based on your IP address it sees when you view their page. It's only an approximation. In my case, it's hundreds of miles off. But good enough for the purpose.

View specific satellite footprints for a better estimate of whether you will be able to receive a satellite.

Philosophy coming warning!

When considering buying equipment for a new hobby, I ask myself if I'm serious about the hobby. If yes, I buy good value, not a cheap price. The reason is a cheap product will eventually disappoint. Then I regret buying it. So first ask yourself if you're serious about a new activity. Then buy.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Cheap LNB's are things that I see lots of people buy, but I do have a really good dish with the mounting accessories although I don't know about how serious im gonna be with this hobby as model railroading is my main hobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts