Issue with receiving vertical channels on Titanium PLL Cband with V8 and V9 GTMedia receivers

41satman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
PNW
I have tried a v8 and v9 gtmedia and only picking up horizontal channels from either of my two titanium pll cband. When I tried an old no name receiver I got verticle channels. I am thinking the lower voltage may be too high and switching to horizontal.

Either a voltage passing splitter or open a coax cable jumper connected to a LNBF.

14Vdc is well below the polarity switching point for vertical. Under load, the voltage will even be lower. 19Vdc is much higher than the switch point for horizontal.

Have you tested with a temporary short coax jumper?

Crazy question, but is the skew angle set correctly (not 90 degrees out of rotation)? On the C138, the "0" skew mark aligns with horizontal polarity and not vertical. Have you compared your transponder frequencies and polarities between the gtmedia STB and the generic STB vs the Lyngsat website, are the lists and transponder polarities matching?

Reactions: AZ.
Either a voltage passing splitter or open a coax cable jumper connected to a LNBF.

14Vdc is well below the polarity switching point for vertical. Under load, the voltage will even be lower. 19Vdc is much higher than the switch point for horizontal.

Have you tested with a temporary short coax jumper?

Crazy question, but is the skew angle set correctly (not 90 degrees out of rotation)? On the C138, the "0" skew mark aligns with horizontal polarity and not vertical. Have you compared your transponder frequencies and polarities between the gtmedia STB and the generic STB vs the Lyngsat website, are the lists and transponder polarities matching?
My titanium box says c1. The instruction from the internet says 0 horizontal if lnb has screws and verticle with no screws, but mine is different from their photos. Both of mine have aluminum heat sinks on them. At any rate today I tried all angles and only horizontal on all satellites. I also tried all receivers I have here. One receiver I don't have the correct remote but only one received vertical channels. It was a no name chinese cheapie. The other 4 (2 gtmedia and might be as it was called v5 and gt remote worked a little)could not scan in a vertical channel nor show transponders I put in manually. If the rain lets up I have a couple other lnb to try. I have been playing with dishes since the 90's and have 3 big ones installed( here and two vaction places and never had such problems. The other places have combo lnb and work. Here I have a ku on the out side of the scalar ring and it switches polarity properly. The titanium has been installed for years and I have had gtmedia receivers for several years. Became aware the the issue while trying to get byu at 91w. I have dish so I look for programs here that I can use at my vacation places.

My titanium box says c1. The instruction from the internet says 0 horizontal if lnb has screws and verticle with no screws, but mine is different from their photos. Both of mine have aluminum heat sinks on them. At any rate today I tried all angles and only horizontal on all satellites. I also tried all receivers I have here. One receiver I don't have the correct remote but only one received vertical channels. It was a no name chinese cheapie. The other 4 (2 gtmedia and might be as it was called v5 and gt remote worked a little)could not scan in a vertical channel nor show transponders I put in manually. If the rain lets up I have a couple other lnb to try. I have been playing with dishes since the 90's and have 3 big ones installed( here and two vaction places and never had such problems. The other places have combo lnb and work. Here I have a ku on the out side of the scalar ring and it switches polarity properly. The titanium has been installed for years and I have had gtmedia receivers for several years. Became aware the the issue while trying to get byu at 91w. I have dish so I look for programs here that I can use at my vacation places.
I have a dual power bypass splitter to try.

I have a dual power bypass splitter to try.
I have scanned in verticle channels before as they are in my channel list. I need put my other so will put a different c1 on.

Attachments

• 20231105_181352.jpg
    20231105_181352.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20231105_181419.jpg
    20231105_181419.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 69
I have a 22k switch to switch between the c and ku band but that has been there forever. I had a rat that chewed some wires where it entered under the floor. Put an aluminum guard and he chewed that too. I am suprised there are so many horizontal channels that I don't miss vertical that much, but must get to the bottom of this. Still raining out so may put the old receiver on that gave me verticle channels and meaure some voltages. It was the one that had the 13.8 and 18.8 outt the back.

Very odd situation as it had been previously working.

Confirm that the C1-PLL LNBFs (single output) only have one STB attached at a time (no splitter or multi-switch)?
It worked once as I have a few vehicle channels in my old list. I still get verticle with this generic dvb. Photo dvb and byu at 91w. I give up, but today I switch in the receiver that gets vertical channels without doing any thing else. Actually two worked, the old genetic and the v5 that x squared remonte does the sertup. Byu with old receiver

Attachments

• 20231107_090808.jpg
    20231107_090808.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20231107_093639.jpg
    20231107_093639.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 75
Very odd situation as it had been previously working.

Confirm that the C1-PLL LNBFs (single output) only have one STB attached at a time (no splitter or multi-switch)?
It worked once as I have a few vehicle channels in my old list. I still get verticle with this generic dvb. Photo dvb and byu at 91w. I give up, but today I switch in the receiver that gets vertical channels without doing any thing else. Actually two worked, the old genetic and the v5 that x squared remonte does the sertup.

Only one gtmedia v8 at moment.
At the river where I have a GtMedia v7 and only getting horizontal channels but have some vertical in my channel list. Tried adding some vertical channels show decent strength but no quality.
Here I have a combo lnb but no other receivers to try. Still perplexed. Have one more place to visit this week here I also have a combo lnb.

I'm not sure but I think this new 5G filtered LNBF that I got direct from Titanium is bad. It seems to be stuck on vertical polarization. Neither my osmio nor my XR-3 can pick up horizontal signals - actually, they're intermittent on the horizontal but solid on the vertical.
My older c1 is stuck on horizontal with several gtmedia, but not on older receivers. Have two of those lnb s and both the same. I have verticals in my channel list so must have worked earlier. The issuse seems to be incompatible between gtmedia and titan now

Polarities are switched by changes in the voltages. If the voltage (measured at the dish) is not within the correct range, the polarity will not switch. My guess is that the LNBFs are not receiving the correct voltage

I would test the voltage under load to be sure the STB, coax and connectors are providing correct voltages when measured at the LNBF.

The C1-PLL current draw is higher than DRO type LNBFs. Maybe the GTMedia STB provides inadequate voltage and/or current. Add to this the quality of coax, length of coax run, moisture ingress, tight coax bends, coax damage, splices, connectors, corrosion...

What is the loaded voltage on both polarities when measured at the LNBF end of the coax (not at the back of the STB)?

Did you run a single temporary coax cable out to the dish and completely bypass ALL existing wiring and switch?

Have you bypassed the 22KHz switch?

Removed, checked, cleaned and reconnected each fitting?

Tried a different and/or higher current rated power supply on the STB?

Today I removed the 22k switch an no change. The voltage under load is 13.8 and 18.8v. Out the back of receiver is 14 and 19v. The receivers that get vertical channels are 0.2v lower. Today I rotated the lnb 90 degrees at a time and got vertical channels at 180 degrees to where I normally where I get horizontal but then could not receive horizontal ch. If the voltage was low I should get verticals. With three older receivers I get both vertical and horizontal and they all have 0.2v lower than the 3 gtmedia receivers I have tried. Would love to get the voltage a little lower and hooked several powerpass splitters hoping their diode might reduce the voltage but no change.

180 degree rotation would not change polarities. The polarity will remain the same. Did you instead intend to say that the LNBF was rotated 90 degrees and vertical polarities were received?

It seems to be something specific to your GTMedia STBs. I don't have this brand, so unable to test and comment. Maybe another member has a GTMedia STB and could comment if they have experienced any anomalies.

Tried all 4 postions at 90 degrees starting at the position I get horizontal
and only got signal at 180 degrees and was able to scan in a vertical transponder on 127w. Not a channel there I'd want to watch.Could not get a horizontal at that rotation tho. I think there voltage is too high and switchig to horizontal at low voltage but could be the lnb is switchig at the lower voltage to horizontal. I have spent a lot of time on this. Looking at titanium upgraded c138 with 5g filter as I have some interference on one satellite, but don't want to buy with current problem.

Tried all 4 postions at 90 degrees starting at the position I get horizontal
and only got signal at 180 degrees and was able to scan in a vertical transponder on 127w. Not a channel there I'd want to watch.Could not get a horizontal at that rotation tho. I think there voltage is too high and switchig to horizontal at low voltage but could be the lnb is switchig at the lower voltage to horizontal. I have spent a lot of time on this. Looking at titanium upgraded c138 with 5g filter as I have some interference on one satellite, but don't want to buy with current problem.
Worked on the system yesterday and have some observation. Three time I as able to receive some vertical channels but takes a very long time to come in. When you first add a satellite they ask for polarization and I choose auto. Alli get is horizontal. I put on verticle on the transponder but nothing. The I go back to satellite and change auto to verticle and after 5-10 minutes I receive the vertical channel but no horizontal. It says no signal but after a considerable time I have vertical but no H. I have a feeling the receiver is doing some calculations. I have been able to view nasa several times but not a sytem I can live with. Trying to set up another setup another satellite just for vertical, but not successful yet.