Fta receiver recomendations

Accessdenied

Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Ontario
I'm looking for a fta receiver that is compatible with my paid bell subscription card. If this is possible. The reason is, we have a paid bell sub in the living room and a viewsat 9000 hd in the bedroom and my wife would like bell and I enjoy the FTA. If there is a receiver that can do both that would be great. Also if it was HD, PVR, and was capable of all the new formats.

My fta equipment is as follows: 7' mesh dish, a Ku/C band LNBF. A Gbox to drive the motor. A 33" dish mounted the mesh dish with a DGL-1189D LNB.

It's time to upgrade the viewsat and if there is no compatible receivers to go with subs what do you recommend for a new FTA receiver?

Attachments

• image-1558470513.jpg
    image-1558470513.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 111
I'm not look to hack bell. I was inquiring if there was a fta receiver with the card reader that supports bell with the paid subscription I know that there were other sat providers that did this. I called bell and asked if this was against there policy. In short they said no and they encouraged me to investigate and that they would help with any technical problems as its not there equipment they may not know all the ins and outs.

Styler1 said:
No way you can use a FTA to view Bell, that would be hacking which is not allowed on this site.

I've not kept up with the new equipment so was wander what you would recommend or are using, I'm looking for the English channels and as many as possible

All of the paid providers (Dish, Directv, Bell, Shaw, Globecast) will only activate their receiver.
You can't take a card from Bell and put it into a FTA receiver and get the programming

Iceberg said:
All of the paid providers (Dish, Directv, Bell, Shaw, Globecast) will only activate their receiver.
You can't take a card from Bell and put it into a FTA receiver and get the programming

Thanks for the info i wasn't sure if any of the new units were capable. If I remember correctly I believe the paid provider STN allowed other units on there system, and after talking to the Bell tech he had my hopes up as he told me all the fta receiver would need to do is have a set of ID numbers that there system could read to register it. He also told me that a Dishnet receiver would work on there system with some alteration to the receiver. Which I believe is not legal.

you were misinformed. The R & S# on the Bell receiver is tagged as a Bell receiver. So you couldn't take a Dish receiver, load Bell software and activate it
In fact, there is a software disable thing in the receivers now so you cant load the others software. Use to be if you took a virgin receiver and aimed at the other companies satellites (take a Dish receiver and aim it at 91W) and turned it off it would download the other software (and render the receiver useless). They finally fixed that

As an experiment I connected a VIP722K that had never been activated to a DPP44 connected to both 91 and 82 satellites. The receiver downloaded the complete Bell guide. I then reconnected the VIP722 to a DPP44 connected to 110/119/61.5 and the receiver downloaded the Dish guide without any problems. Of course I realize the 722 could not be used the receive Bell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)