Shipping Shaw receiver down south - does it have to be "hit" up north first?

FernyD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Mesa
Two weeks ago my receiver here in AZ went bad so they shipped a new one to my place and it is sitting there waiting for me. I was going to have it shipped down here but I read in some thread about the two channels they use for a "hit" have been moved to G1. I think it is channels 265 and 268. I do have the regular one, I think it may be 252?

Can anyone shed light on this? Do I need to hook it up to a system up North first, then ship it down? It is so frustrating I pay $100 a month for the service and only use half of it, sometimes.

I do have a way of watching Canadian TV for those techies out there. I use RemotePC at home on my desktop computer. I also have it installed here. So when I really want to watch something I log into my computer, bring up a browser, go to the Telus app, and watch it there, streaming it down here. Every channel and every series I have saved. My friends are all wondering about doing it this way rather than the Shaw Satellite box as it is such a hassle.

The quality is probably a 7.5 but I find it streams pretty consistently. I tried a VPN but I have never found one that lets me log into the Telus service app at home. I have to go through my home computer. Thoughts anyone?

If you are in Arizona and want to use it there, you are far outside the footprint for G1, so no need to even bother. By not long after the first of the year, all the Shaw channels will be on G1as Anik F2 is circling the drain.

Reactions: grantb3
I think you might have misunderstood.

I’ve had and do have service down here for the past seven or eight years. One of my working receivers went bad a few weeks ago and Shaw is replacing it.

They already sent the new receiver to my house and it is sitting there ready to be shipped down here.

So they are replacing the old receiver with a new one.

I just needed to know whether I had to do something to get the new one operational in Canada before I shipped it back down here.

And yes, I am well aware of the service going down permanently in the spring, probably in the February timeframe. But that still gives a few months of watching Canadian TV.

I’ve had and do have service down here for the past seven or eight years. One of my working receivers went bad a few weeks ago and Shaw is replacing it.

They already sent the new receiver to my house and it is sitting there ready to be shipped down here.

I just needed to know whether I had to do something to get the new one operational in Canada before I shipped it back down here.

And yes, I am well aware of the service going down permanently in the spring, probably in the February timeframe. But that still gives a few months of watching Canadian TV.

It’s possibly true. When I bring my inactive Dish receiver to Canada I’ve had trouble activating it sometimes because Dish tells me they are sending the signal to a specific geographic location and they want the specific address I am at (its in my RV so I travel with it). So now I make sure it’s active before leaving my home. I would assume Shaw is similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
It’s possibly true. When I bring my inactive Dish receiver to Canada I’ve had trouble activating it sometimes because Dish tells me they are sending the signal to a specific geographic location and they want the specific address I am at (its in my RV so I travel with it). So now I make sure it’s active before leaving my home. I would assume Shaw is similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dish is different, there are no spot beams for any of the Shaw Direct transponders, so they can't send a hit only to a specific geographical location.

As far as whether the new receiver should be activated in Canada first, I don't know the answer. FernyD, you might want to ask your question at the forum: Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

I believe that a fellow member named Keith Brannon posted instructions in another thread in this sub-forum about what channel must be used to activate a receiver in the southern provinces. Probably the thread about Anik F2 going away.

It doesn't matter how long you've been getting service in Arizona or how legitimate your subscription is as the satellites you previously used (Anik F1 and Anik F2) will be gone early next year and the new satellite (Anik G1) that replaces both of them doesn't cover the southern U.S..

I believe that a fellow member named Keith Brannon posted instructions in another thread in this sub-forum about what channel must be used to activate a receiver in the southern provinces. Probably the thread about Anik F2 going away.
Unfortunately, anything I said in that thread was about re-acquiring channel maps after changes were made to the signal modulation, and all were with activate receivers.

Unfortunately, anything I said in that thread was about re-acquiring channel maps after changes were made to the signal modulation, and all were with activate receivers.
Apologies for misspelling your surname. I should have looked it up.

My thinking was that the mapping data would be coming in the same channels as the activation hits but that isn't necessarily so.

Reactions: Keith Brannen
Apologies for misspelling your surname. I should have looked it up.
No problem, get it, or various versions, all the time! LOL!
My thinking was that the mapping data would be coming in the same channels as the activation hits but that isn't necessarily so.
The mapping data does, as we have seen on this site for those who only get the one satellite when there was the change in modulation. It would certainly make sense to have the activation available on both satellites. However, whether that is the case or not, I'm not sure, and would hate for the OP not to have a definitive answer before having his receiver shipped down south.

I didn't misunderstand at all. It doesn't matter what service you have had in the past. The migration to G1 has already begun and your location in Arizona is far outside the footprint. You will only be able to watch channels that remain (for the time being) on Anik F2, which are fewer all the time. Up to you if you want to go to the bother.

Reactions: QCK
I didn't misunderstand at all. It doesn't matter what service you have had in the past. The migration to G1 has already begun and your location in Arizona is far outside the footprint. You will only be able to watch channels that remain (for the time being) on Anik F2, which are fewer all the time. Up to you if you want to go to the bother.
He said "And yes, I am well aware of the service going down permanently in the spring, probably in the February timeframe. But that still gives a few months of watching Canadian TV" so he does want to go to the bother. The question is if he can activate the rcvr from F2.

FerryD I think I read somewhere that you need a signal from G1 to activate but I'm sorry I can't find that info to be sure. There are more ppl on the forum Keith mentioned so ask there and I think some body will know. Good luck!

Reactions: Keith Brannen