Shaw Direct Signal in Az

I am east of Sacramento near Folsom Lake and found a GeoSatPro 1.2m dish awhile back so I ordered the F1X LNB from KuSat to play around. I am about 200 miles from the Oregon border and estimate about 250-275 miles from the lowest contour. I am getting signals in the low to mid 50's on some transponders, with occasional jumps to 60 where I briefly get video. Other transponders can't get a lock and and jump around in-between 0-50 range. This is using the receivers signal meter so with a professional meter I may be able to fine tune a bit, but doubt that would be enough to make it work. Was wondering if I can find a 1.8m dish, any idea how much it would help and at least get the signal to the 60's for some of the transponders?
Wow, superb news! So this is a 4’ dish? 6’ would probably take care of business hopefully. Do keep all of us posted, as this is at least hope :)

can you get shaw direct channels in AZ. right now in Feb
Sorry, you are way too late for the party. It's all over for snowbird reception in the southern states.
The Anik F2 satellite will be retired in just a few days, and Anik G1 satellite does not have a prayer
of working that far south. At least we got a quarter century of signals, but the show must move on.

Reactions: bayguy
I guess I would have to disagree. East of Sacramento may well have stable reception with a big dish. Something in the 1.8 Meter range.
Sacramento is around 155 miles north of the northernmost areas of Arizona, around 380 miles north of Phoenix and 485 miles north of Tucson.

Since the question was about Arizona rather than northern California, your answer relates to a decidedly different question. I doubt that snowbirds are flocking to Sacramento or points east of there.

While interest in the Shaw offering isn't necessarily exclusive to snowbirds, it is likely rather limited.

I guess I would have to disagree. East of Sacramento may well have stable reception with a big dish. Something in the 1.8 Meter range.
I know of someone in Denver as well with a big dish getting G1 aok as well. He’s using a 2.6 meter, which is likely overkill.

Wow, superb news! So this is a 4’ dish? 6’ would probably take care of business hopefully. Do keep all of us posted, as this is at least hope :)
Will do, been looking at Craigslist and Facebook marketplace but nothing yet, hopefully something will show up. Doesn't look like there is many dealers out there selling new ones anymore, and the ones I have found are more than I would like to pay.

Reactions: tvmaster
You can travel most of the way across the continent on a line parallel to sacramento and have a similar reception.
You were responding to a reply by mikekohl to a post by Piker_67 rather than forecheck.

Sorry, you are way too late for the party. It's all over for snowbird reception in the southern states.
The Anik F2 satellite will be retired in just a few days, and Anik G1 satellite does not have a prayer
of working that far south. At least we got a quarter century of signals, but the show must move on.

Sacramento is around 155 miles north of the northernmost areas of Arizona, around 380 miles north of Phoenix and 485 miles north of Tucson.

Since the question was about Arizona rather than northern California, your answer relates to a decidedly different question. I doubt that snowbirds are flocking to Sacramento or points east of there.

While interest in the Shaw offering isn't necessarily exclusive to snowbirds, it is likely rather limited.
Sacramento is about 500 miles from Las Vegas, and it's another 250+ miles further to Phoenix.
I agree with everything else, but distances across California are huge.

Sacramento is about 500 miles from Las Vegas, and it's another 250+ miles further to Phoenix.
What matters here is how far south of the coverage area you are. Horizontal distances don't matter so much. Where California hurts is in the south 2/3rds.
I agree with everything else, but distances across California are huge.
No more huge than in Oregon or Washington. As I noted above, the across part doesn't count at all -- its the up and down part.

What matters here is how far south of the coverage area you are. Horizontal distances don't matter so much. Where California hurts is in the south 2/3rds.

No more huge than in Oregon or Washington. As I noted above, the across part doesn't count at all -- its the up and down part.
I was speaking of north to south distance in California.
If you were looking at true north to south distance, I figure approximately 70 miles per degree of latitude.
Sacramento = 38.6 north
Denver = 39.7 north
St George (next to AZ border) = 37.1 north
Las Vegas = 36.2 north
Flagstaff = 35.2 north
Phoenix = 33.4 north
Tucson = 32.2 north

Using those approximations, north to south latitude distance Sacramento (38.6), Phoenix (33.4) is 5.2 degrees
That would rough out at over 350 miles north to south. A significant distance that does drop signal a lot.

If you were looking at true north to south distance, I figure approximately 70 miles per degree of latitude.
It is difficult for most to equate degrees of latitude with distances. Never mind that they don't typically know what their latitude is.

This also assumes that the fall-off of the signal is predictable and given that the Earth, by most accounts, is not flat and the coverage area isn't elliptical, projections are difficult.

It is difficult for most to equate degrees of latitude with distances. Never mind that they don't typically know what their latitude is.

This also assumes that the fall-off of the signal is predictable and given that the Earth, by most accounts, is not flat and the coverage area isn't elliptical, projections are difficult.
We are back to square one. If someone wants to try things outside of a predicted coverage area, anything besides an site verification with a working system or spectrum analyzer is subject to disaster.

Reactions: tvmaster
We are back to square one. If someone wants to try things outside of a predicted coverage area, anything besides an site verification with a working system or spectrum analyzer is subject to disaster.
Sounds like a challenge to me. lol. Never underestimate a desperate, culturally deprived Canadian…

Reactions: Foxbat
Sorry, you are way too late for the party. It's all over for snowbird reception in the southern states. The Anik F2 satellite will be retired in just a few days, and Anik G1 satellite does not have a prayer of working that far south. At least we got a quarter century of signals, but the show must move on.
"East of Sacramento" does Piker no good, he's in Arizona. Like Mike said there's no prayer there.

Will do, been looking at Craigslist and Facebook marketplace but nothing yet, hopefully something will show up. Doesn't look like there is many dealers out there selling new ones anymore, and the ones I have found are more than I would like to pay.
At 10:05am, EST, today, February 27, 2024, Anik F2 has officially gone dark. Only G1 exists now, so take that into consideration when pointing your dish... a sad day for CDN ex-pats indeed

Reactions: forecheck