GAME DAY COMETH! Post your Football game day recipes here!

Well...another Bears game tomorrow...against Philly...so...

Philly Cheese Steaks! What else? :D

The best thing you can do is if you know the butcher, have him slice up some ribeye steaks nice and thin...and saute those up with the onion and peppers in garlic and olive oil. After its cooked up real nice, throw some provelone cheese on top and let it melt. Put that on a hoagie roll and your all set.

No huge crew tomorrow. I've got to get to octoberfest at the lynfred winery in Roselle, IL...drop my daughter off back at her moms, and the Bears were nice enough to accomodate me with a later game...;)

It will be me, the wife, and a neighbor or two enjoying the game with cheesesteak in hand...

You’re both right. It's a matter of opinion really. I have both a gas and a smoker that I convert to charcoal once in a while.

Personally, if I had to chose between 1 or the other though, I’d chose gas. Grill Master, Bobby Flay has admitted the same. Shocked? Lemme explain.....

Gas has the ease of temperture control, easy start-up and cleanup.

Charcoal requires more labor in starting up, controlling the temperture can be challenging and cleaning up is tedious. You live in Wisconsin and I Cleveland. In the winter, it can be a bear in playing with charcoal when you can just flick a switch and start-up a gas grill.

Charcoal cookers claim that there's more of an art to cooking since most of it requires physical attention, where as a gas grill is moderated by knobs and constant gas flow.

To me, the difference is in functionality and gas is more ideal for everyday use.
Amen... I use my Orion Cooker as the charcoal is easy to get going, I do not have to worry about charcoal fluid imparting off flavors to the meat... heck, I have used gas to get it started when the coals were damp... but for my grill... fire up the propane, wait 5 minutes or so to heat up and if I want smoke flavor add liquid smoke to meat or soak chips and toss over the lava rock...and dang that cheese steak sound's good :D

The thinly sliced rib-eye is what makes the cheesesteak...folks tend to take shortcuts with stir-fry meat but that gets too chewy...got to go with the rib-eye...

Anyway...kickoff.... :)

Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili with Smoked Pulled Pork

This was a slow cooker recipe I found in one of my wifes cooking magazines. I modified it to use up some extra pulled pork I had on hand. It sounded like an awesome recipe for the upcoming fall season and it sure was!

Ingredients:

• 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2-1/2 cups cooked pulled pork (*original recipe called for cubed turkey)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:

In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

Yield:
10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)

Pictures: attached....

Attachments

• CIMG1743.JPG
    CIMG1743.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 217
  • CIMG1744.JPG
    CIMG1744.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 190
That chili sounds good!

I might try that for the up and coming Detroit / Chicago game this weekend.

This was a slow cooker recipe I found in one of my wifes cooking magazines. I modified it to use up some extra pulled pork I had on hand. It sounded like an awesome recipe for the upcoming fall season and it sure was!

Ingredients:

• 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2-1/2 cups cooked pulled pork (*original recipe called for cubed turkey)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:

In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

Yield:
10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)

Pictures: attached....

This was GOOD! The Pumpkin adds something, and it doesn't really taste 'pumpkiny'....(as if thats a real word!) :D

For Atlanta next week I'm thinking about BBQ...a big old HAM!

Any suggestions?

This was GOOD! The Pumpkin adds something, and it doesn't really taste 'pumpkiny'....(as if thats a real word!) :D

For Atlanta next week I'm thinking about BBQ...a big old HAM!

Any suggestions?

I agree with your assessment of the Pumpkin Chili. I was expecting a more potent Pumpkin Flavor. Maybe next time, I will add 2 cans of pumpkin instead of 1. BTW, what meat did you use, turkey, pork or other?

I agree with your assessment of the Pumpkin Chili. I was expecting a more potent Pumpkin Flavor. Maybe next time, I will add 2 cans of pumpkin instead of 1. BTW, what meat did you use, turkey, pork or other?

Pork like you suggested...I thought about turkey, but I figured pork would give it a fuller flavor.

Well, Bears vs. Vikings tomorrow...

...and my enthusiasm for Chicago sports teams is waning considerably...sad to say. (Yawn...)

However, I may yet go to the game tomorrow...and tailgating is the thing to do...so here goes...

On my friends portable "fire and ice" propane grill ...

Fire and Ice Thermos Grill by Char-Broil (Discontinued) - Portable Gas Grill Review

I'm going to attempt to duplicate HD MM's Kiel Basa creation from the "Whats for Dinner" thread with about three feet of Kiel Basa!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1544503-post228.html

I'm heading to Gene's Sausage Shop on Belmont in Chicago right now...

Gene's Sausage Shop & Delicatessen - Chicago, IL

If any of you are ever in Chicago...do yourself a favor...that place is really good...

Shepherds Pie with Scallion-Cheese Crust

I made this dish yesterday and had ready to eat during the 4pm NFL games. It served as the perfect compliment to a cool autumn football Sunday. The aromatic smells that permeated the kitchen were to-die-for!

For the filling:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 pound ground veal
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped very small
  • 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
  • 1 level tablespoon tomato puree
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 level tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh beef stock
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

For the crust:

• 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup scallions, cleaned and chopped
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar

Cooking Instructions:

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven pan. Brown the veal and beef. Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the onions to the pan and saute until they are translucent. Add the chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, tomato puree, thyme, parsley and cinnamon. Stir and saute for 2 minutes. Next, stir in the flour, which will soak up the juice, then stir in the wine and the beef stock. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Return the meat to the pan and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Cut the potatoes into large even-sized pieces and place into a pot of cold, salted water. (I chose not to peel and instead left the skins on to make for a more rustic taste). Bring the water to a boil and cook potatoes until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Potatoes are done when a knife can easily go through.

When the potatoes are done, drain off the water, return them to the saucepan, cover with a towel to absorb the steam and leave them for about 5 minutes. Next, add the butter and mash them to a puree. Season with salt and pepper.

When the meat is ready, spoon it into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and level it out with the back of the spoon. After that, spread the mashed potato evenly all over. Sprinkle the scallions on top of the potato, scatter the cheese over the scallions and bake the pie @ 400°F until the top is crusty and golden, about 20-25 minutes.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 171
Here's an extremely simple slow cooker recipe that I use for most football games at my house:

Place 2-4lb pot roast (arm roast or similar) in bottom of slow cooker. In a separate bowl, mix 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup with 1 package of dry onion soup mix. Pour mix over top of pot roast and turn on slow cooker. When roast is 3/4 done, flip roast and continue cooking until done. DO NOT add any water! It will seem like it needs water at first but it will create its own gravy.

I specifically didn't mention cooking time because it will depend on whether you use LOW or HIGH setting and individual slow cookers tend to vary a bit. For me, a 3lb roast takes about 4hrs on HIGH or 6-8hrs on LOW.

I like to use grass fed beef arm roast which IMHO has more flavor. I have also used bison roast (careful not to overcook) which works too. I also normally add carrots and sweet potatoes. Carrots go in right away and sweet potatoes can go in when roast is 1/4 done.

Well...the Kielbasa as expected was delicous...however the small cooking area of the tailgater porta-grill and the inflexibility of a Gene's Sausage Shop" three foot kielbasa wound up deminishing from the 'presentation' somewhat. instead we wound up with about four average kielbasas with grillmarks that...well.. WOULD NOT have made bobby flay jealous.... lol :D :D :D

However, we did as we intended...split the kielbasas in half...serve them between rye bread as a sandwich.

Great game too!!

HD MM, thanks for the idea! :up

Bye week for the Bears..but thats not going to stop me. Thinking about throwing together an Irish corned beef and cabbage dinner for the Notre Dame / Washington game tonight. Its cold and rainy here in chicago. No grilling, so I'm thinking a nice, fragrant boiled dinner might be just the thing...

Ironically, I can't even say I'm a Notre Dame fan...but my dad and brother are (which I can't figure out for the life of me considering neither of them went there...must be an Irish thing or something. I'm actually more of a Northwestern fan by reasons of geography than anything else...which, Ironically enough, IS where my dad went to college...:confused: )

Anyway, as anyone who has ever read my posts can attest to, I'm far from a sports addict, but DO like my one game a week...and that is going to be it...

Anyway, here goes....

Get a LARGE stock pot and throw in the following...

3-5 pound, corned beef brisket, one or two medium heads of cabbage (quartered), one or two yellow onions (halved...if you want to try something fun, stick a clove or two into the onion halves) ,two cloves of garlic (crushed), one or two bay leaves, 6 or more peppercorns and/or allspice, go by taste). Pour water into the pot until everything is completely covered with water. With whatever room is left in the pot, throw in some red potatoes and trimmed carrots and cover with water again...

Put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Cover, and let the pot simmer for about 45 minutes per pound of corned beef. Give or take. For example...a three pound corned beef should take about 2.5 hours to cook. Occasionally, skim the top to get rid of any excess.

Now that I'm looking at all that, sounds like a lot of work...if I'm going to do this I better get busy... ;)

Last edited:
Spiced Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon and Creme Fraiche

In this thread, I previously posted a Pumpkin Chili recipe. It was good, but lacked the true Pumpkin taste as myself and Vampz26 can attest to. I decided to do another Pumpkin inspired dish. This time, in a soup form!

The recipe was inspired by a Bobby Flay soup served at his Mesa Grill Restaurant.

Ingredients:

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 2 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 2 stocks celery, coarsely chopped
  • 5 cups vegetable stock, or water
  • 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1 teaspoon (canella)
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 teaspoons chipotle puree
  • 3/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Garnish: 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)

Directions:

Heat the butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until soft. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Strain the stock into a clean medium saucepan and whisk in the pumpkin puree until smooth. Bring to a simmer and add the 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, spices, honey and chipotle. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Add water, if the soup is too thick. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of the creme fraiche and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix together the remaining creme fraiche and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and garnish with the cinnamon creme fraiche and a handful of pumpkin seeds.

Thoughts:

As with any Bobby Flay recipe, this soup contained the perfect balance of sweet and spice. Bobby likes a lot of heat in his dishes, so the only recomendation I have for those of you who don't like as much heat, half the chipolte puree from 2 teaspoons to just 1. The sweetness of the honey, and the different spices, both in the form of hot spices (chipolte) and aromatic spices in (allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon) can all be tasted and are perfectly balanced throughout this dish. The pumpkin is well tasted too. The creme Fraiche (I used sour cream), makes for the perfect consistency.

This soup served as the quintessential autumn soup. The pumpkin and spices in this recipe make a sure hit during this fall season. I'm looking forward to making this again for Thanksgiving.

These pictures were taken after I strained the vegetables and added the pumpkin and spices. I served the soup with a few slices of the peperoni & sausage bread I made the day before. That recipe can be found: HERE.

BTW, toasted pumpkin seeds would've served as the perfect garnish, however I didn't have any on hand for this recipe.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 188

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts