Genie HR34 & AM21 OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

frank1104

Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
NYC
Hi All,
I just bought the AM21 and i have the Genie ( HR34) - I was told that it would autoscan for my local channels... but it's asking me to enter in a zip code... am i doing something wrong?

I live in NYC but i was told by a friend he was able to pick up a Buffalo OTA channel ( strong signal i guess) - if i enter a zip for that would i have any issues?

Anyway let me know the steps to have the AM21 just do an auto scan... It would make my life so much easier....

Thanks
Frank

:welcome to Satelliteguys frank1104! It should scan. Did you enter your zip code? Iceberg will chime in soon and let you know the correct procedure. There is no way you are going to pick up a Buffalo station from NYC, much too far unless there is an atmospheric anomaly that got you occasional reception.

it will only scan if i enter the ZIPCODE.... I thought this was a plug and play type of thing - my GF lives in Florida so i go there from time to time for a week, she has Directv but no DVR so i'm thinking about bringing my Genie next time for the week... we can cuddle and watch movies LOL.... would this OTA work there too?

as for the AM21 and genie you just had to plug it in and it would scan everything in the area... Oh how i want those free NJ channels LOL

Hmmm I keep reading it will autoscan on the HR34.... I don't want to put in the silly zip code and get a list, i just want to get what's coming in... if anyone knows the steps please tell me... I have a Hr34 ( Genie) and AM21

with a AM21 it does ask for a zip. Enter your zipcode and then it scans. Any channel in the database it will show guide info. The others will say "regular programming"

If you didnt have a HR34 (say a HR21,22,23,24 or R22) the zipcode loads what Directv has for locals in their database. Its basically a software thingy that Direct has. Enter the zip and it will be fine.

When you go to Florida you will have to do a reset on the AM21 (in the antenna setup there are 3 options...one says reset settings or something like that). After it downloads the guide then do "initial setup" and enter a zip for her area. It will then scan for the locals it can pick up

Thanks Iceberg... but i was told that when you set this up with the Genie you'll get a pop up at the start asking it to scan for all ota channels in your area without the zip

with a AM21 it does ask for a zip. Enter your zipcode and then it scans. Any channel in the database it will show guide info. The others will say "regular programming"

If you didnt have a HR34 (say a HR21,22,23,24 or R22) the zipcode loads what Directv has for locals in their database. Its basically a software thingy that Direct has. Enter the zip and it will be fine.

When you go to Florida you will have to do a reset on the AM21 (in the antenna setup there are 3 options...one says reset settings or something like that). After it downloads the guide then do "initial setup" and enter a zip for her area. It will then scan for the locals it can pick up

Don't forget that the Genie requires a swm setup. If your gf doesn't have one, the Genie won't work there.

Thanks Iceberg... but i was told that when you set this up with the Genie you'll get a pop up at the start asking it to scan for all ota channels in your area without the zip

I've never seen that and I owned a HR34 for over a year. Got my AM21 after the fact. It's in the software that it asks for a zip as the other DVR's load the channel database off that zip. The HR34 is different and it does scan and loads the extra channels it finds

I won't get charged more from Directv if i have more locals in HD after buying this? I will get a switch so when i visit my GF i can bring my Genie and AM21 with me... I should be ok right?

I've never seen that and I owned a HR34 for over a year. Got my AM21 after the fact. It's in the software that it asks for a zip as the other DVR's load the channel database off that zip. The HR34 is different and it does scan and loads the extra channels it finds

I won't get charged more from Directv if i have more locals in HD after buying this?
no. They dont know what locals you are picking up

Heck at one time I had a "moved" account to get locals from where I use to live (Duluth, MN) via satellite and on the AM21 I got Minneapolis and Mankato (60 miles down the road...a CBS & FOX Only) so I had 3 markets of networks :)

It may be that the HR34 acts differently than other receivers as far as the AM21 is concerned. The zip codes determine which television DMAs you might be able to receive OTA.

I don't know what would happen if you could receive signals from more than 2 DMAs.

The antennaweb.org site can predict which stations you will receive with a particular class of antenna, and what compass direction they're at.

No, it's a separate module. It's about $50 or so, available from Directv and other vendors like Solidsignal.

$50 + tax from Directv
But I've noticed lately Directv seems to add a $50 "service fee" if "payment history isnt good"......I noticed that the other day. Because I use to be billed through my Telco they show last payment for me as 3 years ago....even though I've paid it through my Telco just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.