Geosatpro 2.4 Meter Prime Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greggor48

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
How do you find the elevation on this antenna? I know the offset type antenna has the elevation on the antenna but this GEOSATPRO 2.4 METER PRIME do not seems to have any on it. Let assume my elevation is 32, how can I find it? I will also like to motorize thia antenna when I purchase it (for home use) and my latitude is 13N and longitude is 61W.

AMC 4 for me is 42 (elevation), Galaxy 25 is 46 and Galaxy 10R is 19. These are the satellites I will like to reach that have FTA signal in my area (Caribbean) and adequate programming. I can reach all of them using my Channel master 1.8m.

What elevation would I require to set the dish to motorize the antenna giving my location above? Need to know before I purchase.

links galore

Here is an angle meter you would use to set the elevation of such a dish.
This is a short discussion of a cheap version.

This web site is just one of many which explains the setup and geometry of a prime-feed dish.
After you read and digest everything on it, you will be an expert in alignment of your 2.4m dish. :)

I found this review of the GeoSat 2.4m dish very educational.
It's listed as coming with a polar mount.
Contact SatelliteAV and see if he has a PDF copy of the manual (I didn't find one when I looked).

You should just be able to add a linear motor to move it.
This 18" example is probably too short - get some advice before choosing a brand or length of motor.
Many such motors sell for as much as $200 or $300.

Then, to move the motor, you'll need a V-box controller between your FTA receiver and the motor.

It took me some effort to link everything above, but it's worth it if it helps you understand the problems and easy solutions.
Setting up a 2.4m dish shouldn't be a major hassle, but you might want to read the C-band section of this site for more encouragement.

I know on my 6 foot prime focus dish there is no elevation meter...just a knob & arm.

I have markings on the piece of metal for my true south and a few other satellies

I think most Polar Mount dishes have an offset deviation (I suppose that could change with your location). I'm at 32.6 degrees and my deviation is 5.5 degrees. If you have a polar mount, the mount should be set to your latitude and add the deviation to that, in my case the mount is set at 32.6 degrees and the deviation makes the dish 38.1 degrees (subtract that fron 90 degrees and it's 51.9 degrees). I suppose it depends on how you hold your Protractor (angle finder). Yours should be close to this, since you are at 32 degrees, which is close to mine. But, here is a site you can find out yours:
AZ/EL Calculator

It doesn't account for the deviation. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts