Getting Ready To Replace ANOTHER 722.....

willywonka

Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Central Washington State
Does anyone else have problems with the 722? I just ordered another replacement, which I think is the 4th or 5th one since I first bought the HD reciever. Symptoms include:
1 Died completely, no lights, just dead.
2 Recorded programs that were never intended to be programmed.
3 Change a channel on the DVR and had it shut itself off and go into a complete power reset. It will do this sometimes in the middle of viewing a program while the DVR is not recording anything.

I have checked the power, which is fine. The unit is in an enclosed space but I have tried it both ways. I have installed a fan to circulate air. The TV and DVR are plugged into the same circuit, (Directly into the wall, not a power strip) the sound system is plugged into another circuit. The 722 is connected to one TV (A 46" Sony). Dish send a tech out one time to check the last installation, he found no issues.
If I am doing something wrong, I will be happy to correct it, but I suspect that the issue lies with the 722.
Thanks
Bill

What do your Counters show for temperature high/low/avg? Menu-6-3, Counters, scroll down almost to the end.

OK, I'll take a swing at those problems!

1) Power supply probably died. If your power is clean, then this wasn't your fault.

2) Sounds like either your own accident with the remote, your kids getting into mischief, a neighbor unknowingly setting timers on your receiver, a Dish Pass setting with an ambiguous search phrase, or a good ol' fashioned mistake in the EPG. I doubt this was a problem with the receiver itself. Did you replace it? :eek:

3) I suspect the disk was going bad. This is a common failure mode.

For the record, I have a 7yo 722 and it has exhibited none of these problems. The fan died, but I replaced it myself for $12. (I own the 722.)

You can have a subtle hot-neutral reversal. Check the voltage of neutral (wider socket or silvery pin) to the ground (round socket/pin). If it is 110V AC or other than 0V that is a problem. Or buy a polarity checker with 3 neon lights for about $3. After 24 years I found exactly 1/2 of more than 50 house circuits were reversed in the wall (white wire=neutral and black=hot) when replacing all the wall sockets, white for ivory to match the walls. Most things worked but there were a few tingling shocks. It causes strange behavior and little sparks.
-Ken

Thanks for the help, I don't think it's a wiring problem but I will re-check it. Since I am not under contract with Dish, they have been great about replacing the unit, which is leased. What I was really wondering about is if there is an inherent problem with these units, sounds like there isn't.
Thanks again.
Bill

That high of a failure rate does tend to point to an environment issue, whether it be heat, electrical, grounding or other failed/failing component outside of the receiver itself. Did you check the Hard Drive counters like I asked? Any avg over 130 or a high around 140 will cause issues.

I am thinking an in home electrical issue as well.
A power conditioner may solve the issue.
I would have the outlets as well as the breaker that feeds that part of the house checked.

Be sure and check your dish and grounding block for an issue also. if a bad wire is shorted to the conduit the technician grounded too, or the system is ungrounded as some technicians feel grounding the system "impede's" the signal, that could be an effector. Also a spare test jumper from the LNBF (also a no no sometimes tech's do) could be shorting to something external to the house, or even the ground.

The bottom line though, is it sounds like something is either over heating or over amping your system. One of the things I suggested is extremely unlikely, but sometimes you have to start at ridiculus and work your way backward. again, double check house wiring and also check your TV. Those are your most likely root causes.

That high of a failure rate does tend to point to an environment issue, whether it be heat, electrical, grounding or other failed/failing component outside of the receiver itself. Did you check the Hard Drive counters like I asked? Any avg over 130 or a high around 140 will cause issues.

The average temp is 104, high of 125. I haven't had a chance to recheck the power yet, hope to get around to it this weekend. We really don't have any power problems, the circuit the DVR is plugged into has the TV, Sound system and DVR all plugged in. (All Sony).
Thanks
Bill

It's either the aforementioned grounding/power/heat issues or just plain bad luck...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)