Getting ready to try this again

jailbird

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 11, 2004
A little over a year and a half ago I tried to make the jump to SC. The equipment was ordered, and then the next thing I know there was a medical emergency and hospital bills, so the order got canceled :(.

So fast forward to now and I'm trying to get ready to make the jump again. I probably won't switch until we get our tax refund in Feb, but I figured I'd go ahead and research everything now.

My main 3 reason for switching:
1) Trying to save some money.
2) Hopefully better PQ.
3) Because by the time I pay DISH $199 to upgrade from a 942 to a 622, I might as well get whole new equipment :).

Since I'm in the Dallas area, I have a feeling SC will be a better bet than BEV.

I'm ready for the move, the biggest roadblock right now is the wife. She has a few favorite shows that she'll be furious about if she can't get them:

1) The VOOM HD "Monsters" channel as a whole - SC has "Scream", and I think that'll work. It's not in HD, but Monster isn't really true HD either :).
2) "Ghost Hunters" on SciFi - I checked the Space channel and I can't find this show. I thought it was on there before? Is it just during the off season, or is this show not available at all?
3) "Dog Whisperer" on NGC - Looks like it's available, just delayed?
4) "Meerkat Manow" on Animal Planet - Same as above, delayed?

Which makes me curious. Are the shows in Canada just extremely delayed from their US couterparts, or do they just have a different on/off season?

So I think I might be okay except for Ghost Hunters. I'm hoping it's available, just not on right now. I could always keep DISH or local cable for that, but then that eats into my "save some money" excuse :).

Allot of american shows are on at different times (we watch Gray's anatomy an hour earlier on SC at 8pm instead of 9pm) some shows are just not shown and others are sometimes a season behind. Scream channel is nothing to wright home about...I had it for awhile and dropped it because we never watched it and too many commercials. If you go to SC's web site and look under whats on (you will have to put in a canadian postal code I use "M4B 1B3" thats for Toronto and will give you the east coast list. there is a drop down tab that will let you look at one channel and that will let you see the whole week. I have been very happy with SC (am in my second year) and while you wont find all the shows you will see allot of the main us network stuff. Sorry I could not be more specific but I have not watched any of those shows so I can't speak from experience.

The main issue is instead of a US channel being imported into Canada, somebody decided to start up a "basterdized" version of the channel. So at one time we had MSNBC Canada, which didnt have much of the US version of the channel. That since has gone belly up and we get the legit US channel (same with A&E). Another thing is some shows were picked up by other channels. When WWE Raw was on Spike, TSN (think ESPN) had the rights, so Spike Canada had reruns of VIP.

Also, if they create a Canadian version, they have to have X amount of Canadian content. So thats why on Comedy Network we have Red Green on 6 times a day :)

As stephen said, check the listings and see if your shows are on there.

and look at all the channels (when searching) because sometimes shows will end up in odd places, an example is W (womans channel) runs "most haunted" which airs on the travel channel here. One plus of the european shows that air in Canada they are not highly censored for language like they are in the US. For example you can hear all of Gordon ramseys colorful language (on Ramsay's kitchen nightmares) although they do bleap a few of the more colorful lines on most haunted, however if you have ever watched it on the travel channel they will sometimes have a 20 or 30 second bleep and will miss some of whats going on.

Ya, I did the searches when is how I figured out some of the shows are behind :).

So far everything looks ok except for Ghost Hunters. I'm hoping it's just a season thing. We'll see!

Thanks again!

I thought maybe it was on another channel like A CHannel or City (Space, City & A Channel are all owned by CHUM and sometimes they move shows around) but I was wrong

You'll love your *C. I've had it since 2002. Canada has different movie chsannel names as well but you'll find a lot of our movies hidden inside. Plus the coast to coast time shift on our us nets and the canadian nets. CTV Kenora is a bit of an oddball channel (320) with a bit of different timing. Between our Denver and seattle viewing, we still can catch something missed from Kenora

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts