Gigabit WAN, which router?

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
My ISP is offering 101mb down with 15mb up :) So I would need a router with gigabit WAN as well as LAN. Any suggestions?

depends a lot on your network. and do you need this to be a stand alone router, or is it an integrated modem/router?

if it's a stand alone router, most will handle the job. if it's an integrated device, it depends on the technology. I use a Motorola Surfboard at gigabit to the LAN, but it's not needed on my 30 megabits connection.

100 versus 101 megabit isn't going to be a problem IMO. You will almost never peg the connection anyway.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The IP required gigabit connecton to achieve the 101 speed. I am cabled with cat6 and employ gigabit LAN devices but I'm not sure the E2000 router would do gigabit WAN

Attachments

• LAN 004.JPG
    LAN 004.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 130
The ISP is technically correct, in that you need Gbit on the WAN side to get 101 mbit.

My point is that you have to ask yourself if that's a real world issue when there will be almost no time when you'll get much more than 25-30 mbits/second.

I have 30 mbit, and I only saturate the inbound on large downloads from sites with high bandwidth capability.

Last edited:
Thanks for showing your "wiring plant".

You need to replace the two small switches with one big switch if you move a lot of traffic on your LAN. As it stands you are limiting your LAN traffic when you're going through the router.

You can pick up 16 and 24 port wire speed switches by tp-link and trendnet at reasonable prices.

Overhead will bring your speed down to under the 100Mb limit.

From a practical perspective, once you reach between 85/90 Mbits/second you won't get much more out of 100 Mbit. So I understand the "why" of their pushing a gigabit WAN port.

But my push back is that most homes with multiple active connections won't manage to pull down that much bandwidth to begin with. Nice to be getting to the point where our ISP connections are rarely part of the download speed equation.

My real want was the 15mb up. But the download is great as we do a lot of video streaming in the house. The router offers gigabit speed on the LAN and it really does :) . The two Gigabit switches don't slow anything down. I do have all the gaming connections on one switch though. But my kids often put up another switch in their rooms for all their friends needs. But only the computers and the NAS units have 10/100/1000 NICs. The speed across the LAN is almost the same as two HDDS in my computer. I'll have to see how it works if I upgrade the connection. Right now I'm at 30/5

Netflix stock jumps up 13 percent over Microsoft buyout rumors

Tablet Market Share

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts