Going back to D* ( not a rant just an explanation)

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
First of all I found this forum via Voom and think it is awesome.

Hopefully I will not be looked at as a "Troll for D*" but I wanted to share some thoughts. Voom does have more HD "content" than D* currently but the cinema 10, Moov, Auction, Gallery and World Sports all are something which never appealed to me. Cinema 10 does offer some movies that I have watched but I can count them on one hand. This appeals to some so I am not knocking it, but, older movies don't do it for me. I enjoyed Rave at time, kids loved anamania, and Rush at times, TNT-HD was great during BB season, and the coverage by HDnews of the conventions and in general was good. They will be missed. I do believe having PPV in HD, HDNet (not counting HDNet Movies), NFLHD and all the added SD content( for non HD tv's in house) and ST's offset these IMO. Voom's PQ might be better right now and I will not argue that point with the NFLST sucking bandwidth. Two things grind on me re: VOom. 1. The olympics...I could watch the SD AND hd feeds via D* after being promised by 3 csr's pre-olympics that I could via V* only to get a blank screen. I let that slide by. Next was the NFLHD feed they advertised on their site and PG. That is obviouly not happening on V*. It was hard to let it slide by. You can say I am a couch potato on Sunday and I guess I am but i love football. Another reason was no Fox Sports Net (other than FL)meaning no college sports, no brewers(even though they still suck but my wife likes BB as her brother plays AAA for the Brewers, got a cup of coffee for a week and a half and we could not see the game....ouch! I was mud in the house )o: lol and making daily trips to Miller Park fora short time) The PG also needs to be corrected so I can watch what it says is on. Voom also needs to make it affordable to have more than 1 box in your if you want to add it. $200 for a "profesional install" is way to high. Also $20 for HBO/Cinemax/etc a month is not in line with the other services. Voom does, to their credit offer more movie channel offerings with starz etc., but I am not a movie guy with 3 small kids in the house. Finding time to watch them is difficult and then we go back to the price. Also D* gave me a HD receiver for $100 w/antenna

Voom is a quality service, but, I think more suited for movies than sports. I hope they succeed and thrive as competition helps the consumer get a better product and price in the long run. But it just doesn't suit me. I will still check this forum without bashing Voom after I leave to see if they can survive and if they add some of the items I really like. I sure learned a lot from some of the posters here and hope to do the same from the D* section.

GL VOomers!!

"TNT-HD was great during BB season, and the coverage by HDnews of the conventions and in general was good."
Don't be sad about TNT-HD, it should be up on D* in the HD package within the next two weeks. This comes from many inside sources, on this website and others that tell us the contract has been signed!

Stinking D* Troll !!!!

Just kidding, I am in the same boat as you, it is all about the football. Sunday Ticket overall has to be one of the top "features" for anyone selecting a satellite provider. Without it, I don't think D* would have grown so fast. It was the hook for me 7 years ago.

Voom is a great service. Especially if speciality HD content is your main attraction. I do not think they will even be around this time next year and that is too bad because competition is the greatest advocate of innovation.

Just because D* has thrown their hat in the ring on HD doesn't mean they own it yet ... I mean what will using SapceWay 1 & 2 mean for broadband? Just saying it is not a cinch, but i do think D* makes the best effort to offer the innovative products and services to the customer base as a whole.

Welcome aboard (or back), the more the merrier!

To those that called me a troll yesterday, have fun with Voom, that is why you have it. FYI, I read all the fourms here not just the D* version. I'll be looking at installing FTA in a month or two so this place is one big research project for me.

Now you're going to have to change your user name to one of these;
(1) Madtown SD Junkie
(2) Madtown Bad PQ Junkie
(3) Madtown HD-Lite Junkie
(4) Madtown I miss my Voom, what the hell was I thinkin' when I cancelled Voom
Junkie

Okay... so what Voomer is now going to start (again) a thread called "Hey, I'm not leaving". It happens everytime someone explains why Voom is just not for them and leaves.

I am in somewhat the same boat. I am an avid professional football fan. I have my D* equipment for this reason alone. I am on the opposite side of the fence from the original poster. (i.e. When the NFL season is over, I find little use in watching movies on the premium channels in SD). I am also a big movies fan and even bigger HD fan. So what I have is my house is Voom as my primary source for programming and D* for my NFL. At the end of the season, D* gets pulled and I ramp it up for the following season.

Mike

PS - I agree with the original poster though...If local Fox Sports is important to you, I guess you are doing the right thing. Fox Sports just doesn't do anything for me.

txcruiser said:
Okay... so what Voomer is now going to start (again) a thread called "Hey, I'm not leaving". It happens everytime someone explains why Voom is just not for them and leaves.

What ex-voomer is going to start (again) a thread called "Hey I'm leaving blah, blah, blah." Why feel the need to explain this to anyone. If Sunday Ticket is such a big deal, why did he ditch D* to begin with. He switched back to D*, now he can enjoy his 6 "less than" HD channels.

Why are you on this board so much Txcruiser? Can't find enough compelling HD content on D*? Maybe you should change your username to Trollcruiser.

r.jones1116 said:
Your out, you cancelled so good for you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your negative comments off the board and go watch your 6 HD channels on D* or E*. When you come crawling back to Voom, I hope they charge you double!! :yes

Let's see how long it takes for you to get Madtown HD Junkie turned into a fulltime Troll.

Go ahead and start bashing me (again..and again) if you would like.
It will just get deleted.

r.jones1116 said:
What ex-voomer is going to start (again) a thread called "Hey I'm leaving blah, blah, blah." Why feel the need to explain this to anyone. If Sunday Ticket is such a big deal, why did he ditch D* to begin with. He switched back to D*, now he can enjoy his 6 "less than" HD channels.

Why are you on this board so much Txcruiser? Can't find enough compelling HD content on D*? Maybe you should change your username to Trollcruiser.

Why all the hate??? I simply posted why I was switching back so maybe a new person thinking about any of the Satellite service can get some feedback. I said Voom was a quality service, had a better PQ, had more movie options, and I wished them to succeed. Man get off the hate-monger Voom is it or else crap.

r.jones1116 said:
Now you're going to have to change your user name to one of these;
(1) Madtown SD Junkie
(2) Madtown Bad PQ Junkie
(3) Madtown HD-Lite Junkie
(4) Madtown I miss my Voom, what the hell was I thinkin' when I cancelled Voom
Junkie

Why all the hate??? I simply posted why I was switching back so maybe a new person thinking about any of the Satellite service can get some feedback. I said Voom was a quality service, had a better PQ, had more movie options, and I wished them to succeed. Man get off the hate-monger Voom is it or else crap.

goes for this ridiculous spewing as well

Madtown HD Junkie said:

There is no hate. Just ignore all of these children and keep checking back in the Voom forum. Maybe they will pick up some RSN's in the future.

Wayne

I can't see myself paying money for NFL-ST, last weekend I say 3 games in HD, and I really only wanted to see the Dolphins. The week prior I saw 3 games in HD also. What the hell is so special about NFLST?? The only reason I would get it, is if I found a job in like Seattle, that was paying me enough money to leave my home state, and I had to have my home team's games... in any case these first two weeks have been a stretch, I usually just watch the Dolphins, the Canes, and the Marlins, to hell with everyone else.

Voom's HD content is IMO, growing and changing, Cinema 10 is HDNet's competition, and the diverse content on the other channels is varied enough. Kung FU HD should be coming around the corner, with other features hopefully coming, these are big strong points for me. Although Voom is more my bag, it has a decent amount of sports in HD, they upgraded my dish and OTA so I get good primetime programming, and lots of movie channels in HD to chose from. The channels like Rave and Rush and Equator are a bonus. You could also do like mkwillia suggested and just pay for Sunday Ticket during football season if your team is out of state, if you are so inclined, D* has even LESS HD, only 2 premium channels in HD, that are being smooshed 3 HD/transponder, you're going to use OTA anyway, and you don't mention splurging $1,000 on a HD DVR.

I am not a sports fan, in the least. So it amazes me to see somebody look at Voom with all the 300-series channels (which are "fly over" channels for me) and say there is not enough sports. Plus Voom has WorldSport and Rush. ?? Whatever...

More power to you if D* does it for you. I would sure hate to see Voom try to be everything to everybody. Voom is close to perfect for my taste. I actually enjoy the extreme sports on Rush.

No criticism of anybody here. We all have our "fly over" channels!

And, by the way, I'm not leaving.

I simply cannot believe the rudeness and immaturity of the Voomongers.

Madtown posted a well thought out thread and gave his opinions on what he liked and didnt like. His post will help hundreds even thousands of people in their decision for a DBS provider. He didnt insult anyone. He even stated its not to put down Voom.

And what does he get in return? He gets blasted and insulted by Voomongers.

You desperate Voomongers are the true "Trolls" of Satelliteguys. It will surely be a glorious day when your Voom screen goes blank and you seek advice on installing your new D* system.

Dvlos said:
I can't see myself paying money for NFL-ST, last weekend I say 3 games in HD, and I really only wanted to see the Dolphins. The week prior I saw 3 games in HD also. What the hell is so special about NFLST?? The only reason I would get it, is if I found a job in like Seattle, that was paying me enough money to leave my home state, and I had to have my home team's games... in any case these first two weeks have been a stretch, I usually just watch the Dolphins, the Canes, and the Marlins, to hell with everyone else.

Voom's HD content is IMO, growing and changing, Cinema 10 is HDNet's competition, and the diverse content on the other channels is varied enough. Kung FU HD should be coming around the corner, with other features hopefully coming, these are big strong points for me. Although Voom is more my bag, it has a decent amount of sports in HD, they upgraded my dish and OTA so I get good primetime programming, and lots of movie channels in HD to chose from. The channels like Rave and Rush and Equator are a bonus. You could also do like mkwillia suggested and just pay for Sunday Ticket during football season if your team is out of state, if you are so inclined, D* has even LESS HD, only 2 premium channels in HD, that are being smooshed 3 HD/transponder, you're going to use OTA anyway, and you don't mention splurging $1,000 on a HD DVR.

I also have D* for Sunday Ticket because I like to watch the Packers and for Comcast Sports Net.
All of my other viewing is done on Voom.

Wayne

zubinh said:
I simply cannot believe the rudeness and immaturity of the Voomongers.

Madtown posted a well thought out thread and gave his opinions on what he liked and didnt like. His post will help hundreds even thousands of people in their decision for a DBS provider. He didnt insult anyone. He even stated its not to put down Voom.

And what does he get in return? He gets blasted and insulted by Voomongers.

You desperate Voomongers are the true "Trolls" of Satelliteguys. It will surely be a glorious day when your Voom screen goes blank and you seek advice on installing your new D* system.

I think you mean to say one Voomonger or what ever........

Hey you better be careful because your TV might go black if D* keeps stuffing HD channels on the same transponder :shocked .

Wayne

Madtown I agree with you. The pixelization problem with Voom along with its lack of content is a big minus eventhough the techies say it is HD Light. At least one can watch a show without losing audio and picture quality. I'll be leaving Voom very soon.

NVBlue said:
Madtown I agree with you. The pixelization problem with Voom along with its lack of content is a big minus eventhough the techies say it is HD Light. At least one can watch a show without losing audio and picture quality. I'll be leaving Voom very soon.

Well the only channel i had pixels dancing was Equator and I do believe that D* is stuffing too many channels on a transponder because of the NFL ST, but i am leaving more for the ability to get more sports and added SD for wife kids if you break it down to the bottom line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)