Going back to D* ( not a rant just an explanation)

NVBlue said:
Madtown I agree with you. The pixelization problem with Voom along with its lack of content is a big minus eventhough the techies say it is HD Light. At least one can watch a show without losing audio and picture quality. I'll be leaving Voom very soon.

How can you lose something (PQ) you never had? ;). Don't know what your problem might be in regards to losing audio/pq. I honestly can say I' ve not had a glitch since the 6.2 download. Everything is great as far as Voom is concerned. Good luck to all that leave Voom and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your future HD service provider no matter how limited it may be. :D

I'm a charter member with V* not that this means much but I have been with them for awhile.
I also have cable to get me my rsn's and other sd channels that V* don't have yet.
I also don't know how long I can last with both services.
If V* don't get there a%$ in gear, I really think they are cooked.
I remember when they sent out there first flier and that had a HGTV logo on it as if they had or were getting it.
The reason I mention HGTV is I think that channel is a big deal for a lot of us not to mention others.
They also are adding rsn's to areas where the masses are not.
They are adding it to Cleveland and I believe they just made #1 in the top 10 poverty range.
Go ahead and bash my V* brothers all of this just don't make cents$ what they are doing.

gunn55 said:
I'm a charter member with V* not that this means much but I have been with them for awhile.
I also have cable to get me my rsn's and other sd channels that V* don't have yet.
I also don't know how long I can last with both services.
If V* don't get there a%$ in gear, I really think they are cooked.
I remember when they sent out there first flier and that had a HGTV logo on it as if they had or were getting it.
The reason I mention HGTV is I think that channel is a big deal for a lot of us not to mention others.
They also are adding rsn's to areas where the masses are not.
They are adding it to Cleveland and I believe they just made #1 in the top 10 poverty range.
Go ahead and bash my V* brothers all of this just don't make cents$ what they are doing.

All voomers/non voomers should really try to stop the speculation and just enjoy your HD while you have it, regardless if it is gone in a year or not. Who really cares,(oh god NO, don't say it)..... it's just TV. :eek:

r.jones1116 said:
All voomers/non voomers should really try to stop the speculation and just enjoy your HD while you have it, regardless if it is gone in a year or not. Who really cares,(oh god NO, don't say it)..... it's just TV. :eek:

BINGO! nice jonesy! WHo knows in a year the FCC might say it is a health hazard and pull the plug! :haha

You can get D* as cheap as $39 a month I think, +$10 for HD (free 6 months, like he said $100-$250 for the HD receiver depending on the special), NFL ST is $250 a year, or $187 to renew I think. It's a good deal because normally the games are free. You can't beat buying free.

I have had Voom since June of this year. The PQ on most channels freezes up. It may have more bandwidth than D*, but at least I can enjoy a show without the frequent freeze ups. I get no OTA's because I live in a mountainous area far from my local DMA. I got no olympics in HD on either Voom or D* due to NBC and the archaic rules of the FCC that protects TV stations and the NAB but does not protect consumers. With D* I get all except the Voom originals (which are worthless), TNT in HD and some of the premium movie channels in HD. But D* gives me CBS and NBC from NY & LA in HD, the NFL in HD (except for games shown on stations in my local DMA) without any freeze ups at all. I can't notice a difference in PQ between Voom and D* at all. Voom refuses to give me the Marlins games in HD eventhough they are owned by the same company that owns Voom. On D* I get to see all of the Marlins games in SD along with the Canes, Heat and Dolphins in SD (why would anyone want to see the awful Dolphins in HD - it would only make you want to cry as Hootie says. For all of you S. Florida fans, I lived there for more than 35 years and have followed the Fins since their first game when Joe Auer ran back the opening kickoff against the Raiders in 1966. Also good luck with Jeanne.
If Voom doesn't get there act together I will drop them and continue to use D*, which I have had for more than 7 years. Sorry Voom, but the freeze ups and lack of good programming doesn't cut your high cost and very bad service. That ends my rant guys!

Watched HotLines on HDNET tonight......if you think that is reduced PQ, my God I'd hate to see it at full strength. It was breath taking!

NVBlue said:
I have had Voom since June of this year. The PQ on most channels freezes up. .....
Sorry Voom, but the freeze ups and lack of good programming doesn't cut your high cost and very bad service. That ends my rant guys!

Your problem with freezes is likely caused by a) bad STB or b) weak signal. I don't have any freezes, and I believe this is true for most Voomers.

I am not sure what you mean by lack of good programming on V*. Unless you can't survive without 3 NFL games on Sundays what else is so attractive on D*?

NVBlue said:
...With D* I get all except the Voom originals (which are worthless)...
Well, everybody sure has different taste!

For us, the Voom exclusives and premium channels are the only channels worth watching.

All we would get with D* or E* are "fly over" SD channels full of commercials.

If Voom ever goes under, it's back to renting DVDs for us.

If you are a soccer fan....

If you are a soccer fan, then WorldSport is worth it alone on VOOM. I understand many are not. But for me I would NOT trade WorldSport for:

ST + regional RSNs + all MLB packages

Again my preferences are probably not reflective of the average US consumer.

My 2 cents,
Carlos

I would like to comment on a couple of things....first off when I first got DirecTV HDNET was the best HD ch by far. That has changed ...now I see some HD ON Voom looking better than HDNET at times. As for the freezes....I dont have them much but my receiver does freeze up once in a while and I have to do a reboot , which is kind of annoying. I have an old HD receiver from DirecTV and that has never froze up on me in 2 years. If I had VOOM alone I wouldn't be able to survive in my house. Each member in my family watches Ch's that only DirecTV has....VOOM is for me. But , tonight there was a huge Boston Yankee game that was blacked out on ESPN in NY on VOOM. If VOOM was my only provider I would have missed the game. VOOM does not have the YES network....DirecTV does. Its a big deal to me....but I agree that VOOM adding Ch's for clev and Florida is a bad idea. It only serves a small portion of subs. Why not add Ch's everyone could watch? I enjoy the HD on VOOM but if it comes down to it I couldn't cancel DirecTV.

VOOM just isn't competitive price wise...it is the one reason I haven't signed up for it yet.

I would never move to D* though. I would consider E* if they had more HD content, and even though I would never give D* one cent, you have to admit at least their pricing is competitive with the cable companies (unlike VOOM).

iml said:
VOOM just isn't competitive price wise...it is the one reason I haven't signed up for it yet.

I would never move to D* though. I would consider E* if they had more HD content, and even though I would never give D* one cent, you have to admit at least their pricing is competitive with the cable companies (unlike VOOM).

Can you be more detailed why you find that is not competitive? Is it in the HD arena? Pricing? What exactly?

price...

I am peppered monthly with specials from cable companies and the 2 other big sat providers

then I look at what VOOM is doing/offering and there is no contest, I would be a fool to sign up for VOOM with the other offers out there

sad part is...I am trying hard to convince myself to do it even though it is not a good deal price wise...thankfully I always seem to come to my senses

iml said:
price...

I am peppered monthly with specials from cable companies and the 2 other big sat providers

then I look at what VOOM is doing/offering and there is no contest, I would be a fool to sign up for VOOM with the other offers out there

sad part is...I am trying hard to convince myself to do it even though it is not a good deal price wise...thankfully I always seem to come to my senses

They had the $0 down offer up for about three months. You missed it. They now have the $50 offer. Understand that offers change from time to time. You may not like their current offer but others will have no problem in doing the $50 with a 1 year commitment since not every cable company is created equal. But I understand if your cable company gives you a better price. Go with them. That's the beauty of competition. They may have other offers down the road that may be more attractive.

P.S. It all depends what you needs are. If you want multi-room (3 or more receivers) VOOM does not have a great plan yet. Maybe it will change when the multi-room network solution comes out. I

I hear ya...

I just can't see $50 per room with a 1 year commitment as a "good deal". I need 2-3 rooms and the 1 year is the killer there.

A friend of mine mentioned the free install/no commitment special to me like on the last day...I was bummed I missed it. If VOOM offered something similar again I would go for it.

Dvlos said:
You can get D* as cheap as $39 a month I think, +$10 for HD (free 6 months, like he said $100-$250 for the HD receiver depending on the special), NFL ST is $250 a year, or $187 to renew I think. It's a good deal because normally the games are free. You can't beat buying free.

VERY objective! I am proud of you! :)

Dvlos said:

VERY objective! I am proud of you! :) Not being a smart-ass either, I mean it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts