GOOGLE & DISH to Collaborate

My guess is that they'll be a powered dongle which will have a short HDMI pigtail on one end and a female HDMI out on the other. Disconnect your HDMI out from your Dish, place it in the female out of the dongle and the pigtail into the receiver. Good to go.

I also think this partnership of Google, Sony, Logitech, Intel et al will strengthen Dish vis-a-vis TiVo.

I think he was just referring to what Engadget was talking about. He doesn't mean that the GoogleTV browser software will get downloaded onto our receivers. A software update will be pushed to allow the Logitech box to control the receiver over HDMI.

My question is how will the GoogleTV control other HDMI devices if they aren't directly plugged into it? Do AV receivers pass the HDMI control commands through it's outputs? Do switch boxes do the same?
The Gizmodo article mentions that "You can also use an IP protocol between Google TV and Dish's satellite box." So it sounds like the Google TV box will control the Dish box over Ethernet.

Also, it does come with an IR blaster to control other devices.

Yes the box acts as a passthrough. HDMI to HDMI out.

Not sure if a 922 will need a box or not, but other HD DVR ViP receivers will.

So you run HDMI from Dish to Google TV box and then HDMI from Box to TV?

I cannot wait for this to come out. I was planning to get a WD HD Live Media Player, but with this announcement, I am going to hold off on that. Google TV will be able to do so much more and if it is integrated with my Dish ViP receivers, then that is even better.

My son who is an iSheep said - "Why would I want to use one of those? Apple is better."

iSheep

I cannot wait for this to come out. I was planning to get a WD HD Live Media Player, but with this announcement, I am going to hold off on that. Google TV will be able to do so much more and if it is integrated with my Dish ViP receivers, then that is even better.

My son who is an iSheep said - "Why would I want to use one of those? Apple is better."

I like that term will have to remember it. I've really wondered how Jobs has been able to keep his sales so high. When he just "reinvents" most of the same things. Lately Consumer Reports was doing a show and tell on Today show and he had the apple tampon and was saying roughly that a netbook was more powerful than the tampon's. I know there will be some Apple lovers here but really a giant version of the iPhone basically is all the Pad is. I may catch L for this. :eek:

I'm thinking it has to block out like this:

Internet -> ethernet -> Google TV box -> ethernet -> Dish VIP Rcvr -> HDMI -> TV

My 722 only has one HDMI port so it can't connect to Google TV and TV or video rcvr.

A Visio or other graphical block diagram would helpful to other members.

I'm thinking it has to block out like this:

Internet -> ethernet -> Google TV box -> ethernet -> Dish VIP Rcvr -> HDMI -> TV

My 722 only has one HDMI port so it can't connect to Google TV and TV or video rcvr.

A Visio or other graphical block diagram would helpful to other members.

Or you use the HDMI out on the DVR to connecr to the HDMI in on the Google box. Then connect the Google box to the TV>

Google TV built into DVR

For what it is worth, i was chatting with a Dish Tech last night (My 722's Hard Drive just crapped out). I was debating on whether or not to jump to the 922. I asked him about google TV and he claimed that its functionality will be built into Dish's boxes. Now he may have meant only the 922, in which case, if you had a 622/722, you'd need this logitech box. I agree though, the 922 MAY be able to push all of this capability, but i doubt the 622/722s can. I held off on the 922 (STILL waiting for the sling accessories to come out so i can use that one box on two TV's).

But can you imagine having a box that has googleTV AND Slingbox built in... all for a $200 upgrade fee!! Sounds WAY too good to be true!

But can you imagine having a box that has googleTV AND Slingbox built in... all for a $200 upgrade fee!! Sounds WAY too good to be true!
We can dream happy dreams, eh? I don't believe the tech knew what he was saying. I'll bet all he really heard about was the HDMI integration, and mistakenly thought that the receiver itself would be able to handle Android and everything else that the GoogleTV STB can do. I don't believe it!

<snip>

Yes. The HDMI output of the Dish DVR goes to the HDMI input of the GTV. The HDMI output of the GTV goes to the HDMI input of your display device. (TV , AVR, PJ, etc)

Both the Dish DVR and the GTV also attach to your network via ethernet. (Although, the GTV may end up with built-in wi-fi.) I was under the assumption that the GTV box was controlling the DVR via Ethernet in the demo. But, it's entirely possible they are using HDMI CEC.

Finnally, AppleTV sucks hairy moose nads. It's practically useless. However, you can bet your Aunt Fannie's farm that the idiot in the black turtleneck and headset mic will be announcing new AppleTV functionality/device just so he isn't left in the digital dust. I'll bet a dollar they change the name to iTV or iTube or some bs like that, as well. Oh. And it won't have Flash capability.

For what it is worth, i was chatting with a Dish Tech last night (My 722's Hard Drive just crapped out). I was debating on whether or not to jump to the 922. I asked him about google TV and he claimed that its functionality will be built into Dish's boxes. Now he may have meant only the 922, in which case, if you had a 622/722, you'd need this logitech box. I agree though, the 922 MAY be able to push all of this capability, but i doubt the 622/722s can. I held off on the 922 (STILL waiting for the sling accessories to come out so i can use that one box on two TV's).

I talked to a friend who installs systems for dish (who is also was a 922 beta tester from the get go). He also claims that the VIP DVR's will get a software update that will have google TV built in. I said "so you mean i wont have to buy a TV with google TV or the logitech google TV box?" And he said "yes, the DVR will have it built in... no need for an external box or capable TV!" He said the 922 will get the upgrade first and then the 622/722. Still seems too good to be true, but if you think about it, when the 922 was in original beta, besides the ridiculous touch screen remote, it had a full web browser... maybe the reason they pulled it was because they knew googleTV was on its way soon and knew that instead of using a sub-par browser of their own, waiting on an android based system from google would be much better... guess time will tell, but i've had a tech rep and an installer both say its going to built in!

So let me get this straight.. this is why Dish is pushing so damn hard for Connectivity so they can let Google ram advertising down our throats???

I talked to a friend who installs systems for dish (who is also was a 922 beta tester from the get go). He also claims that the VIP DVR's will get a software update that will have google TV built in. I said "so you mean i wont have to buy a TV with google TV or the logitech google TV box?" And he said "yes, the DVR will have it built in... no need for an external box or capable TV!" He said the 922 will get the upgrade first and then the 622/722. Still seems too good to be true, but if you think about it, when the 922 was in original beta, besides the ridiculous touch screen remote, it had a full web browser... maybe the reason they pulled it was because they knew googleTV was on its way soon and knew that instead of using a sub-par browser of their own, waiting on an android based system from google would be much better... guess time will tell, but i've had a tech rep and an installer both say its going to built in!
I can believe it for the 922, as it was originally designed with network/internet functionality in mind. But, I'm not so sure that the 722/622 have the processing power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)