Google TV/Dish Email Survey

I don't see the point of dish offering this...

Why would someone pay a fee from them when you will be able to buy a new sony bluray player or logitech stand alone box and get google tv without a fee.

In 6 months, there will probably be hundreds of devices with this functionality built in and many of them dirt cheap.

I just don't get it.
My point exactly.

I very much agree with this! I just became a Dish customer and paid the $200 upgrade fee for the 922. Google TV integrated in the 922 would be convenient and might help towards retention if it were offered for free or inexpensive, but more than $99 for it and little or no fee would not be worth it. Atleast for early adopters, I can't see anything being offered by Google TV that isn't already available e.g. Netflix streaming, youtube videos, pandora, etc. on your TV. My TV has it built in, with a media server PC at home and the 922 I can stream just about anything. I don't see much of a value here if it comes out at too high a price.

-Bill

I took it and was VERY disappointed in the direction it seems like they are going in for Google TV. They were floating out prices of 200-300 bucks up front and $3-$10 per month fees on top of that! For people like me, who recently shelled out the $200 bucks for the shiny new (and buggy at times) 922, I think most like me would agree that paying another $200+ for another add-on box is not going to fly. Not to mention, i think what Dish is missing here is that the same users that were willing to take the jump to the 922 are, by and large, their same customers that will have interest in Google TV.

When I first upgraded from a 622 to a 922, I asked the guy that installed it how the 922 would work with google TV. For me, the features of google TV with internet video streaming and so forth, are just as much, if not more, useful to me than the sling stuff with the 922. He claimed that with the 922, the google TV software would be built into the 922 and no add-on box (like the Logitech one) would be needed. I was semi-skeptical, and at this point it looks like my fears have been realized! Does anyone have any new news on how Google TV will work with Dish as opposed to having regular cable (or DirecTV) and adding on the Logitech GTV box Best Buy will be selling? I felt like being a dish customer would be and advantage with google TV, but based on what the survey implied... sounds more like a curse!

I just took it as well. I hope that I am not the only one that thinks $299 is an outrageous price for an add-on like this. Unless it is a full fledged DVR/Sat receiver with TiVo like interface simplicity, I am not paying $299 for it. I think that $99 up front with no monthly fee (or maybe a very modest $2 to $3 per month fee) is reasonable. Does anyone else agree?
Same here. Yes I pretty much agree with your comments and that's how I answered as well. It did seem like it was asking the same question over and over, and I was worried that they are actually thinking of charging $300 w/no monthly fee in addition to the GoogleTV STB. Why else would they ask the same question twice? And what sleazy wording. "Would you prefer to pay $300 with no monthly fee, or $200 with a $5 monthly fee. There was no option for "none of the above". After answering the first question about buying one immediately, with these outrageous prices and unacceptable fees, I'm not about to buy a fully-integrated GoogleTV ever!

Keep in mind though, that survey is how Dish is going to incorporate it into their service... not how Google TV will be in general. Watching the video's on google's website, there is absolutely no mention of "extra" features with google TV if you are dish customer, which this survey implied there was... The survey acted like only google customers would be able to search their Guide, DVR, and the web for content, which completely contradicts the videos on Logitech's and Google's website... those videos imply anyone with google TV (Set top box, built in TV, Blu-ray, ect) can do that. And based on the video's of the Logitech one, i'd be MUCH more inclined to go pick up one of those (I bet its no more than $150 bucks) and pay no monthly fee, rather than get "Dish Google TV" for $300 bucks plus a monthly fee (which probably adds worthless features anyway). The more i think about that survey, the more it makes less and less sense. How does Dish think they are going to convince their customers to pay a monthly fee for something that is free for anyone else on any other carrier (including their own customers if they go buy a Logitech box or a TV with google TV built in).

Same here. Yes I pretty much agree with your comments and that's how I answered as well. It did seem like it was asking the same question over and over, and I was worried that they are actually thinking of charging $300 w/no monthly fee in addition to the GoogleTV STB. Why else would they ask the same question twice? And what sleazy wording. "Would you prefer to pay $300 with no monthly fee, or $200 with a $5 monthly fee. There was no option for "none of the above". After answering the first question about buying one immediately, with these outrageous prices and unacceptable fees, I'm not about to buy a fully-integrated GoogleTV ever!

The point as I understand it, is that Dish is integrating it into the system-you will have a TV Guide much larger with more info than the standard guide, full internet capabilities (like a laptop) to send and receive mail, blogging etc, as well as access to all internet video sites (perhaps HULU
may be available even though they will now be offered on all Sony internet capable tvs) etc.
I guess we will have to wait and see..................

I am excited about Google TV, but I am also confused by it. Not much has been said about Google TV with Dish Network, so I am going to wait and see how everything plays out.

Will Google TV work on a 722K? I have read where yes it will work on a 722K, then I will read something that it will only work on the 922. Will Google TV work by just a firmware upgrade or will it be another box added to the Dish receiver (Just like the Logitech Revue Google TV box)? I'm not too thrilled if it is a addon box because I had to deal with it when I had Time Warner Cable. I had so many problems with my Tivo and Time Warner's SDV tuning adapter. But then again, Dish Network is not Time Warner Cable. I'll just wait for everyone's reviews on SatelliteGuys. :) Since it is coming out this fall, maybe I can add Google TV to my Christmas list.

Will Google TV work on a 722K? I have read where yes it will work on a 722K, then I will read something that it will only work on the 922.

Mine was working with a 722k just fine. If they release it for the 922 only, they will have done it to sell more 922's, not because they can't support the other ViP boxes.

Will Google TV work by just a firmware upgrade or will it be another box added to the Dish receiver (Just like the Logitech Revue Google TV box)?

The 922 might be able to do it with a firmware update, but the 722 will need an external box. The two units integrate quite well, though. I didn't need to touch my Dish remote at all for over a year.

OK, granny, let me explain why your TV now has a keyboard attached........ :rolleyes:

The main question is Dish will offer a new blu-ray player with Google capabilities.
Does anyone NOT already have internet capable blu-ray players. I have 3

Blu-ray? What's that? Still use my VCR's and Upconverted DVD players. Not found any good reason to shell out the extra money for just another device to sit on the shelf that costs more that regular dvd players. Of course, just my opinion.

If it costs more money, it will never be adopted in this household. We're already downsizing and cutting costs in every area: satellite TV, phone, etc.

NETFLIX - GONE. SAVINGS: $10.00 per month.

Gym Subscriptions: GONE - we live 2 blocks from a 10 acre park with beautiful biking trails and will soon be moving to God's country on the Illinois-Wisconsin border. Why would we want to pay for the privilege of using someone's gym equipment when we have fresh air!

DISH NETWORK: Out of more than 200 channels, we watch only 10 or so. Just DOWNGRADED our programming by almost HALF. We own all our equipment, never watch most of the channels, and refuse to pay $150.00 per month for television.

Once we move to the Illinois - Wisconsin border we will have SEVEN PBS channels - in TRUE HD - not compressed HD LITE, and more than 50 other FREE, OVER THE AIR channels. The channels will come from MILWAUKEE and CHICAGO markets. FREE, OVER THE AIR. Yes, it will take a 100 foot tower, some digital amplifiers, and a little work, but it will not cost us a monthly fee. SAVINGS: $60.00 per month

TELEPHONE: CALLER ID - GONE; 3-WAY CALLING - GONE; Strictly LOCAL service - kept mostly for the ALARM system. SAVINGS: $10.00 per month

CELL PHONES: Unlimited data services - GONE; Texting: GONE; Kept unlimited calling because it give us free US long-distance. SAVINGS: $50.00 per month

Once we move out of Chicago, our auto-insurance will drop from $1,600 per year to less than $400 per year.

This is all FOUND MONEY - money which will go from checking directly into SAVINGS ACCOUNT for FUTURE RETIREMENT - only SIX years away.

So, to all subscription television services: GO FIND ANOTHER BUSINESS MODEL. The revolt is on and the revolution is here. WE WON'T PAY FOR YOUR GREEDY POCKETS TO BE FILLED ANY LONGER.

Blu-ray? What's that? Still use my VCR's and Upconverted DVD players. Not found any good reason to shell out the extra money for just another device to sit on the shelf that costs more that regular dvd players. Of course, just my opinion.

I bought a Blu-ray player almost 2 years ago for $80. I see several, off and on, for below $100. I expect in a very few years only the very cheapest and shoddiest DVD players will not be able to play BDs.

....So, to all subscription television services: GO FIND ANOTHER BUSINESS MODEL. The revolt is on and the revolution is here. WE WON'T PAY FOR YOUR GREEDY POCKETS TO BE FILLED ANY LONGER.

You can pound on the satcos because that's who you see and pay. But it's the providers that the satcos pay that seem to be making major demands. Especially the local stations.

BTW, WETA (PBS) here seems to be the worst in HD-Lite, with their experiment to have an "HD" channel and an additional 3 sub-channels.

If it costs more money, it will never be adopted in this household. We're already downsizing and cutting costs in every area: satellite TV, phone, etc.

NETFLIX - GONE. SAVINGS: $10.00 per month.

Gym Subscriptions: GONE - we live 2 blocks from a 10 acre park with beautiful biking trails and will soon be moving to God's country on the Illinois-Wisconsin border. Why would we want to pay for the privilege of using someone's gym equipment when we have fresh air!

DISH NETWORK: Out of more than 200 channels, we watch only 10 or so. Just DOWNGRADED our programming by almost HALF. We own all our equipment, never watch most of the channels, and refuse to pay $150.00 per month for television.

Once we move to the Illinois - Wisconsin border we will have SEVEN PBS channels - in TRUE HD - not compressed HD LITE, and more than 50 other FREE, OVER THE AIR channels. The channels will come from MILWAUKEE and CHICAGO markets. FREE, OVER THE AIR. Yes, it will take a 100 foot tower, some digital amplifiers, and a little work, but it will not cost us a monthly fee. SAVINGS: $60.00 per month

TELEPHONE: CALLER ID - GONE; 3-WAY CALLING - GONE; Strictly LOCAL service - kept mostly for the ALARM system. SAVINGS: $10.00 per month

CELL PHONES: Unlimited data services - GONE; Texting: GONE; Kept unlimited calling because it give us free US long-distance. SAVINGS: $50.00 per month

Once we move out of Chicago, our auto-insurance will drop from $1,600 per year to less than $400 per year.

This is all FOUND MONEY - money which will go from checking directly into SAVINGS ACCOUNT for FUTURE RETIREMENT - only SIX years away.

So, to all subscription television services: GO FIND ANOTHER BUSINESS MODEL. The revolt is on and the revolution is here. WE WON'T PAY FOR YOUR GREEDY POCKETS TO BE FILLED ANY LONGER.

That is a good post. However, nothing will be True HD about your PBS, because they will be using a ton of bits for all their subchannels. I am very disappointed by OTA PBS HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts