Had D* installed this a.m., my report

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sppunk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Harrisburg PA
I cannot express how good my installer was. He was clean, courtesy and explained everything (even though I pretty much knew exactly what he'd have to do).

He got me both HR24 and H24 receivers, plus threw in the HDMI cables they require (I'm sure this is fairly standard, but it's nice they do this). Most of all, after installing the satellite he asked if I wanted him to take down my Dish Network one.

He did that - plus filled in the holes that were left when he uninstalled the mounting arm. This was far beyond my expectations.

I didn't have much chance to play with the system, but it looked good when I was watching the World Cup and recordings worked well.

Question though: Is there a way to set it to record only new episodes of shows? With Dish, you can chose if you want all episodes or only new ones recorded.

Thanks everyone here for their answers - both to my previous thread and in my searches in other posts. I'm excited for D*!

Oh, I got a great deal too. Stacked AAA and referral coupons. Paying $29/mo for first 10 months, then $39/mo for next 10, then up to $69/mo for rest of contract. This is with Choice Extra, a HR24 and H24, Whole House DVR and HD for life.

I cannot express how good my installer was. He was clean, courtesy and explained everything (even though I pretty much knew exactly what he'd have to do).

He got me both HR24 and H24 receivers, plus threw in the HDMI cables they require (I'm sure this is fairly standard, but it's nice they do this). Most of all, after installing the satellite he asked if I wanted him to take down my Dish Network one.

He did that - plus filled in the holes that were left when he uninstalled the mounting arm. This was far beyond my expectations.

I didn't have much chance to play with the system, but it looked good when I was watching the World Cup and recordings worked well.

Question though: Is there a way to set it to record only new episodes of shows? With Dish, you can chose if you want all episodes or only new ones recorded.

Thanks everyone here for their answers - both to my previous thread and in my searches in other posts. I'm excited for D*!

Oh, I got a great deal too. Stacked AAA and referral coupons. Paying $29/mo for first 10 months, then $39/mo for next 10, then up to $69/mo for rest of contract. This is with Choice Extra, a HR24 and H24, Whole House DVR and HD for life.

Yes. When selecting "record series", there will be further management options such as: recording 1st run, re-runs, or both; as well as adjusting start/stop times; and how MANY episodes you wish to keep.

If you go to menu, manage recordings, record defaults
you can set the system defaults to "first only" That will get it going. Also can change from 5 episodes kept to all, so the system won't delete anything w/o you saying so.

Thank you guys. :) I should have played around before asking, but you all are so helpful I figured I'd give it a shot.

One more question I completely forgot about: When my installer was finishing up activating the system, he asked if I had a land line and we ran a phone chord across a room for activation. He told me I don't have to keep the phone line connected, but should leave it for about a week - but then said don't tell DirecTV he said that to me.

What's the deal with that? I specifically asked about a phone line running into the system when I ordered and they said it's not necessary. Which is it?

I ask because I'm getting rid of my landline very soon.

Thank you guys. :) I should have played around before asking, but you all are so helpful I figured I'd give it a shot.

One more question I completely forgot about: When my installer was finishing up activating the system, he asked if I had a land line and we ran a phone chord across a room for activation. He told me I don't have to keep the phone line connected, but should leave it for about a week - but then said don't tell DirecTV he said that to me.

What's the deal with that? I specifically asked about a phone line running into the system when I ordered and they said it's not necessary. Which is it?

I ask because I'm getting rid of my landline very soon.

D* tries to have everyone have a phone line hooked up to your recvrs, that way the modem can send any Access Card info to them when it dials out over night.

You CAN let D* know that you don't have a phone line in that room available if you want.
It's not necessary like it use to be, particularly if you are connecting your recvr to the internet.

Phone line is no big deal to you the customer.

Directv makes it a big deal to installers because they want it connected whenever possible for PPV dial-ins.

I've heard the installers say DIRECTV wants them to connect a phone line at each new install. One installer commented DIRECTV does a "charge back" :confused: to the installer if the box doesn't call into DIRECTV within a week or so.

nope. If you dont have a home phone line (like me) the tech just called in and said "no home phone" and they noted the acct.

When my sister got hers installed the guy said it calls out in 24 hours and if there is no connection it disables PPV and you have to call in or order online

The installers get $29 or $39 for the ethernet/phone line, I think is right.

If the reciever does not "dial" home either via phone or ethernet. They recieve a charge back. This was my understanding.

Ah, if he gets a little kickback I'll definitely keep that chord plugged in for a week per his suggestion. I tipped him for a great job, and would love to see him get a little extra.

Final question: I'm currently on DSL but will be switching to cable internet in a few weeks and want to plug my router into my HR24 to access On Demand. How should the coax cabling run?

Should it go Wall > Splitter, with one coax cable to the DECA and the other to my modem? I don't think mixing chords within the DECA network is wise.

Looks like everyone has answered all the questions, so enjoy. I've yet to have a bad experience with a D* install (or Dish), from an actual guy in a D* truck. The Dish and D* guys in the beat up cars, I guess they are subs, can be hit and miss.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)