Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Especially if you have Amazon Prime and get two day shipping for free and no tax. I bought two of them and they arrived yesterday. I'm going to use one of them on my 722. I haven't figured out yet if I'm going to use ghost or something to copy my existing 500MB drive over to it, or just coy everything back over to the internal HD and then copy it back to the 1TB. That is probably a "safer" method.

So everyone has been using the EHD feature for at least a year now, so I was wondering - has anyone else had an EHD die? My 500GB WD My Book Essentials that I put in service in September of last year on my 622 died about 3 weeks ago with no warning. I never turned it off, figuring that having it go to sleep was sufficient. It wasn't in a particularly hot location - there is plenty of airflow through the open TV stand that it sits inside of. Did I just have bad luck, or are WD drives not suitable for this application?

I would like to get another one, and see that Tiger Direct has a number of them for about $90. Is there another model that is better?

So everyone has been using the EHD feature for at least a year now, so I was wondering - has anyone else had an EHD die? My 500GB WD My Book Essentials that I put in service in September of last year on my 622 died about 3 weeks ago with no warning. I never turned it off, figuring that having it go to sleep was sufficient. It wasn't in a particularly hot location - there is plenty of airflow through the open TV stand that it sits inside of. Did I just have bad luck, or are WD drives not suitable for this application?

I would like to get another one, and see that Tiger Direct has a number of them for about $90. Is there another model that is better?
Don't buy any more plastic case, off-the-shelf drives. They were never meant to be anything more than back-up devices. Better to go with internal drives designed for use in DVR's and an aluminum enclosure. Here is what I have two of and have never had a problem (of course I turn mine off when not in use). Cheap, too!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
Other sizes available in AAKS series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193026

Personally, I've stayed away from WD HDDs on my computers because of their long history of unreliability. Since Maxtor has now become the consumer/low end line for Seagate, I think the best bet is something from Seagate.

i agree on the statement, but not the recommendation on the eagle enclosure. i have 3 of them that i refuse to use - they get way too hot. (i don't turn mine on/off as they are out of sight.)

i REALLY like these enclosures. Newegg.com - Thermaltake N0012US Aluminum & Plastic 3.5" Silver USB 2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - External Enclosures
I've had an EHD running 24/7 in one for more than 6 months, and never a complaint from the HDD (same drive in the eagle was constantly flakey). In fact, i just order 2 more Thermaltake enclosures this week.

I picked up a 1 TB LaCie USB 2.0 drive through the SatGuys storefront for $120 delivered. I had the 500 GB LaCie drive that I bought over a year ago and it's been a solid performer. This one is a shiney black box with a cool blue LED underneath that shows activity. Mine has the 1 TB Samsung media drive with a 32 MB cache. It's pretty quiet, but you can hear the heads when the 622 does a directory of the drive.

i agree on the statement, but not the recommendation on the eagle enclosure. i have 3 of them that i refuse to use - they get way too hot. (i don't turn mine on/off as they are out of sight.)

i REALLY like these enclosures. Newegg.com - Thermaltake N0012US Aluminum & Plastic 3.5" Silver USB 2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - External Enclosures
I've had an EHD running 24/7 in one for more than 6 months, and never a complaint from the HDD (same drive in the eagle was constantly flakey). In fact, i just order 2 more Thermaltake enclosures this week.

Ya never know. I have two with WD AAKS drives in them and they barely get warm at all.

I am planning to camp out for 1tb freeagent for 109.99 at office depot on B.F. and for $350 notebook

1TB Seagate (USB 2.0) at Fry's for $119...

My apologies to the person who bought a 750GB Maxtor at Wally World, but thems the breaks.

There's also an Antec eSATA/USB 2.0 enclosure for $19.99 (add your own 1.5TB drive later).

Has anyone confirmed the 1TB drives for the archiving?

allargon, I have used the 1 TB LaCie drive on my 622 with no problems. As others have mentioned, 1 TB drives don't work at this time on the 211/211k.

allargon, I have used the 1 TB LaCie drive on my 622 with no problems. As others have mentioned, 1 TB drives don't work at this time on the 211/211k.

I mistyped. I meant the 211/211k DVR add-on. Good to know re: the 1TB 211 stuff.

The Seagate 1TB was $99 yesterday at newegg.com. Sorry for the late info. :eek:

Would someone PM me the quietest 500/750GB drive for use with the 211? I can't deal with too much noise in my bedroom. Thanks.

DVR percent meter issue

No signal Port 4 External LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts