HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

All good things... I suppose. Sans paywall link.

AT&T will need to justify the Gig plan cost to me if HBO Max does disappear. I can live without HBO Max, though it does have value, but I'm not planning to pay for it outright. And man, this is like being told you like you dog, well, we are going to charge more it and give it fleas. Discovery+'s value 10 or 15 years ago would have been golden, back when cooking channels had cooking and history/science channels had history and science.

Reactions: Redbullsnation

I'll be very disappointed if I lose my free HBO Max with my AT&T Fiber 1Gig plan.
I doubt you will (unless that was going to happen anyway, regardless of the HBO Max/Discovery+ merger).

Part of the rationale of combining the two services is to create an even bigger, better super-streamer that appeals to a broader range of consumers and is a better value. So I doubt that the pricing changes at all. They have to keep their pricing competitive. Netflix just raised the price of their most popular tier to $15.49 and their starter tier to $9.99. So I think HBO Max, even after the Discovery content gets absorbed, stays at $14.99 (ad-free) and $9.99 (ad-lite).

One thing that seems sure to change, based on what Discovery is saying, is the app itself. I think we'll see a redesigned app, using the best bits of both companies' current tech platforms, once the two services merge, probably early next year.

The other thing I think we'll see happen then, along with the expanded content library and redesigned app, is a new brand name. There was internal debate before HBO Max launched as to whether the service should feature the HBO brand in its name or whether that was too limiting given the broader scope that the service would aim for. Already, HBO content only accounts for something like 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of the total hours of video in the overall HBO Max library. And HBO Max is increasingly gaining traction with its own set of Max Originals that aren't available on the HBO linear channels or anywhere else. Once they dump in thousands of hours of Discovery content -- which, let's face it, is about as far from the HBO brand as can be found on TV -- I just think the HBO Max brand ceases to make sense.

Rebranding the service will help signal to the public that the service is expanded and improved. But they don't want to confuse folks who are already familiar with what HBO Max is. And given that its line of exclusive originals have been dubbed Max Originals from the get-go, I think Max remains in the branding. So maybe the service simply becomes known as... The Max.

The Max.jpg

Reactions: ncted
Doesn't make much sense to me. The content of the two services is completely different.

Curious how it will pan out, I currently get HBO from Xfinity which gets me access to HBO Max. I also subscribe to Discovery+.
They probably want something like Peacock

It's funny to me that people wanted companies like Hbo to be out there ala carte for like Cord cutters. Now they are continuing to combine with other services that will pump up the price you pay. The more you split them apart the more they merge and combine back. Sooner than later we will have like 4 services that combine everything into those 4 services and you will pay again what you did when there was just cable and satellite.

It's funny to me that people wanted companies like Hbo to be out there ala carte for like Cord cutters. Now they are continuing to combine with other services that will pump up the price you pay. The more you split them apart the more they merge and combine back. Sooner than later we will have like 4 services that combine everything into those 4 services and you will pay again what you did when there was just cable and satellite.
And people will stop buying it

The WSJ is, unusual for it as it is generally top notch reporting, somewhat unclear If they are just combining the two separate services in one app; selling the two services in some kind of bundle, as Disney does; or folding D+ content into HBOMax.

I would join with those about that point out that the content of the two just has no overlap that I’m interested in. HBOM has some good content. D+ is just cooking shows, travelogues, educational documentaries and the like. Which I can get similar material on YouTube or download it from my state’s library commission’s website. Both of which are free and the material is often more scholarly.

There is really nothing on D+ I would pay for, nor which I would consider a bonus if added at a higher cost to HBOM.

• Haha
Reactions: AZ.
I doubt you will (unless that was going to happen anyway, regardless of the HBO Max/Discovery+ merger).

Part of the rationale of combining the two services is to create an even bigger, better super-streamer that appeals to a broader range of consumers and is a better value. So I doubt that the pricing changes at all. They have to keep their pricing competitive. Netflix just raised the price of their most popular tier to $15.49 and their starter tier to $9.99. So I think HBO Max, even after the Discovery content gets absorbed, stays at $14.99 (ad-free) and $9.99 (ad-lite).

One thing that seems sure to change, based on what Discovery is saying, is the app itself. I think we'll see a redesigned app, using the best bits of both companies' current tech platforms, once the two services merge, probably early next year.

The other thing I think we'll see happen then, along with the expanded content library and redesigned app, is a new brand name. There was internal debate before HBO Max launched as to whether the service should feature the HBO brand in its name or whether that was too limiting given the broader scope that the service would aim for. Already, HBO content only accounts for something like 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of the total hours of video in the overall HBO Max library. And HBO Max is increasingly gaining traction with its own set of Max Originals that aren't available on the HBO linear channels or anywhere else. Once they dump in thousands of hours of Discovery content -- which, let's face it, is about as far from the HBO brand as can be found on TV -- I just think the HBO Max brand ceases to make sense.

Rebranding the service will help signal to the public that the service is expanded and improved. But they don't want to confuse folks who are already familiar with what HBO Max is. And given that its line of exclusive originals have been dubbed Max Originals from the get-go, I think Max remains in the branding. So maybe the service simply becomes known as... The Max.

View attachment 156099
It will be called " Discover Max" :)
Just a thought.

Reactions: Jillian2
It will be called " Discover Max" :)
Just a thought.
Oof. Hope not. That would be kinda like the tail wagging the dog. There's a reason that HBO Max costs twice as much as Discovery+ and has more subs too: it has higher-value content. Game of Thrones, Euphoria, and Batman trumps Chip & Joanna Gaines and Guy Fieri. Which is why the new parent company is called Warner Bros. Discovery (not Discovery Warner Bros.).

Oof. Hope not. That would be kinda like the tail wagging the dog. There's a reason that HBO Max costs twice as much as Discovery+ and has more subs too: it has higher-value content. Game of Thrones, Euphoria, and Batman trumps Chip & Joanna Gaines and Guy Fieri. Which is why the new parent company is called Warner Bros. Discovery (not Discovery Warner Bros.).
So you'd prefer
Max Discover(y) !!!

So far, at least in the case of HBO, the consolidation has been very positive for consumers. Consider that we originally had HBO Now as the standalone streaming product. Cost was $15/mo and it included all of HBO's library available on-demand. Basically, same price as you paid to get HBO via cable except in the app there were no live linear channels.

Then they replaced that product with HBO Max. Still had the entire HBO library on-demand but added a lot of additional content -- new Max Originals, a ton of recent and classic TV shows from other outlets (e.g. Friends, The West Wing, Top Gear, etc.), plus lots more movies (some of which had previously been in their separate FilmStruck service, which they shut down). Then they folded into HBO Max the original and past content from their separate DC Universe service (stuff based on DC superheroes), including new originals like Titans and Doom Patrol. Then they added in most of the Cinemax Originals that had previously been exclusive to HBO's traditional premium sibling (e.g. The Knick, Banshee, Warrior, etc.). Oh, and let's not forget that all the WB movies in 2021 premiered on HBO Max (in 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos) on the same day as in theaters (with movies in 2022 and after coming to the service 45 days after premiering in theaters)!

At this point, the HBO content constitutes only maybe 25% of the overall HBO Max library. If two years ago I had told you that was what would happen with the jump from HBO Now to HBO Max (which happened in May 2020), what would you have expected the price of HBO Max to be? $20? $25? Nope. It stayed the same as HBO Now had been, just $15.

Then they introduced a cheaper ad-supporter tier of HBO Max with a small amount of ads in all the non-HBO content while the HBO stuff -- in other words, everything that had originally constituted the entirety of HBO Now -- remained ad-free, as always. The cost for that plan is only $10/mo. So in effect, they took all of HBO Now, kept it ad-free, and added a ton of additional content with a small amount of ads, and cut the price by one-third.

They understood that they really had to increase their value proposition -- the amount and variety of content offered for the money -- to make serious inroads against Netflix and Disney to secure their place as one of the few "must-have" global streamers that will survive the current streaming wars.

What's the best predictor of future behavior? Past behavior. So I expect we'll see them once again add a bunch of complementary content to HBO Max in the form of all that Discovery stuff, yet keep prices the same, thereby sweetening the deal for consumers.

All that said, I don't disagree with your ultimate prediction for the industry. Yes, there will be yet more consolidation of streaming services and once we get down to the few remaining winners/survivors, we'll see substantial price hikes from all of them (as we've already begun to see from Netflix, which has already secured its place in the global streaming wars).

The next big merger to look for is one that will involve Paramount, which is too small to go it alone. It will end up, in whole or part, married to Universal or Warner. The deal I keep envisioning is Comcast spinning off Universal in order for it to merge with Paramount, which would in turn force that combined company to spin off either NBC or CBS (since the government won't allow ownership of two major broadcast nets). I could see them selling CBS to Warner, the only major traditional US media giant without a broadcast net. Imagine a new super-streamer that combines Peacock, Paramount+ and Showtime. (Actually, the two companies have already formed a joint-venture service in certain European markets that does just this. It's called SkyShowtime.) Meanwhile, imagine live Sunday NFL and next-day CBS shows streaming in The Max.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
So you'd prefer
Max Discover(y) !!!
Nah, let's leave any of those sub-brands -- Discovery, HBO, Warner Bros., etc. -- out of the name and stick with something simple that indicates how BIG the service will be:
The Max.

Thrills to The Max.
Drama to The Max.
Heroes to The Max.
Laughs to The Max.
Movies to The Max.
Reality to The Max.
Sports to The Max.
Docs to The Max.
Lifestyle to The Max.
Take your streaming to The Max. Starting at just $9.99 per month.

To each there own, while I agree with you, my late wife would have on Food Network programming all day, sometimes she did not even notice I left the room.

By the way, right after she passed, one of the first things I did was cancel Discovery+, hated that service but she loved it.

Reactions: NashGuy
To each there own, while I agree with you, my late wife would have on Food Network programming all day, sometimes she did not even notice I left the room.

By the way, right after she passed, one of the first things I did was cancel Discovery+, hated that service but she loved it.
Condolences. Yeah, I'm not saying the Discovery content doesn't have value. Of course it does! I'm just saying that the content currently in HBO Max has greater value to the overall public (which is why HBO Max has a lot more subs than D+, despite costing twice as much). So I don't think the name of the combined service will include the word Discovery. That would be even odder than it including the word HBO (which I predict it won't include either).

Anyhow, you and your wife represent a perfect illustration of the logic behind combining these two complementary libraries. You might have considered dropping HBO Max for a few months of the year here and there to save that $15 per month. But if it had your wife's Discovery content included, well, you can't drop that -- you're keeping it year-round! But then you wouldn't mind that so much since that $15 gets you even more content that your household regularly watches. The idea is to create a big, broad streamer with a steady flow of content that appeals to all tastes and demographics, so the entire household engages with the service on a regular basis. They want it to be sticky, to reduce churn.

Condolences. Yeah, I'm not saying the Discovery content doesn't have value. Of course it does! I'm just saying that the content currently in HBO Max has greater value to the overall public (which is why HBO Max has a lot more subs than D+, despite costing twice as much). So I don't think the name of the combined service will include the word Discovery. That would be even odder than it including the word HBO (which I predict it won't include either).
Actually HBO MAX has more is because they been out longer, I posted this about Discovery+ a month ago-

Just hit 22 million subs in just a year, average that out at $5 a sub, means at least $110 million a month now, $1.3 Billion a year, all that for a bunch of shows that already aired on Traditional Providers.

While HBO MAX in 2021 only gained 2 million, Discovery went from 0 to 22 million in 2021and the other reason they are ahead is because of regular HBO, they count those numbers as MAX subs.

Right now I have Discovery+ as an addon to Prime mostly for access to all the Animal Planet content for the wife. If they force a combo and up the price I'm gone. Every time a free weekend of HBO is offered I scan thru the whole schedule and never ever find a single thing worth recording so I have zero interest in HBO. Honestly, a merger between HBO Max and D+ makes no sense to me from their viewpoint or mine but that's just me.

I just wonder what this means for people like me with $50/yr for D+, for crime & paranormal.

I like HBO Max for stand-up & old classic shows but not enough to jump on at $9.99.