hd converter with fta

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by outbackjack, Jun 1, 2009.

1. outbackjack

outbackjack Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

honestly i'm just starting so excuse lack of knowledge. since i will be using a standard def receiver for fta signals my ques regards hd channels. is it possible to use one of those hd converters with a fta receiver to change sd signal to hd? i didnt see any posts regarding the hd boxes (the ones sold everywhere like walmart rite aid etc). i was just curious if one of these converters could be used with a fta receiver. thanks for any input.

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. Iceberg

Iceberg We're here....RUN!!!!
    Supporting Founder

actually those converter boxes just convert the digital signal back to analog (I have a few of them) and are not HD...they only work for OTA reception and not FTA

you would need a HD receiver for HD chanenls

3. outbackjack

thanks Iceberg i was a little confused on how they worked. you just saved me 40 dollars:)

4. Iceberg

Supporting Founder

no problem. I have a few of them for the bedroom TV and in the computer room. They accompany the FTA setup mainly for the local news.

5. outbackjack

Iceberg if you get the chance can you look at the dish i purchased for fta under fta shack titled "weekend project idea for large dish i purchased"? . wanted your input on it for minibub and ku. Anole has been a great help so far on this project. i'm not sure how far i have to set the clearance for this dish from my location.

6. B.J.

B.J. SatelliteGuys Family

One possible way to watch HD channels on a SD TV, without the use of a HD receiver is to use a PCI card like the Twinhan 1020a. What I used to do, before I got HD hardware was to use a program called DVBAPPS (no longer supported, but still available free on the web). DVBAPPS can play HD signals in a 1/2 resolution mode, allowing it to be played on slower computers. THen, if your computer has an output to a TV (mine has an S-VID output), you can play this to your TV. Not always the best of quality, and I think the 16x9 makes for tall skinny people on a 4x3 display, but it allows you to play the video on a SD TV.
    AND, it's cheap, since the Twinhan cards can be found cheap on ebay.

7. Corrado

Corrado SatelliteGuys Family

I had a DTVPal from Dish Network that I used for a while for making OTA recordings on a DVD recorder. ( I later gave it to someone that needed it )

It could change the aspect ratio on the HD channels for viewing on SD TVs.

8. Iceberg

Supporting Founder

correct corrado

I have my channels that are normally in HD set to zoom and the regular channel is "normal" on the SDTV

works pretty slick

VigLink badge
Sucuri