Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
USA Today - Front Page - Toshiba HD DVD

usatodayfull.jpg
usatodayclose.jpg

Toshiba Turns Up Heat in DVD War - Technology - RedOrbit
Toshiba, unwilling to concede defeat in the next-generation-DVD battle, said Monday that it would launch an aggressive advertising campaign to promote its HD DVD players and slash prices about 50%.

Entry-level players now start at about $150, down from about $300.

The consumer electronics maker said in a statement that it would step up marketing of the players. It provided few details but said the ads would run on television, in print and online.

Toshiba made the move in response to a series of victories by a rival format, Sony-backed Blu-ray. The battle between HD DVD and Blu-ray is similar to the VHS-Betamax fight of the 1980s. Earlier this month, Hollywood giant Warner Bros. said it would release its films only on Blu-ray discs. It had previously supported both formats.

"The HD camp is doubling down," says tech analyst Roger Kay at Endpoint Technologies Associates. "Toshiba has to sell as many as they can … to populate the world with HD DVD players and maybe win back the studios."

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray can display higher-quality video than traditional DVDs. Blu-ray is arguably the more advanced technology, but HD DVD was out first and often costs less. Retailer Best Buy on Monday was offering Blu-ray players for $400 to $1,000 and HD DVD players for $150 to $1,000.

The two formats are not compatible, which means an HD DVD usually won't work in a Blu-ray player. Many movie studios have released films in both formats, an inconvenience that forces them to carry twice as much inventory.

That's why one format is expected to win out. Toshiba has support from studios including Universal Home Video, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG. But Blu-ray's backers include 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney and Lionsgate Entertainment.

Adding to the confusion: Microsoft's Xbox video game system and some Toshiba laptops can play only HD DVD. Sony's PlayStation 3 video game system and some of its laptops can play only Blu-ray.

Toshiba is hoping lower prices will help it hang on. Price can be "a deal breaker for the mainstream consumer," Toshiba Vice President Yoshi Uchiyama said in a statement.

But many consumers are reluctant to buy a technology that may soon be obsolete.

"Every day the Blu-ray and HD DVD camps spend prosecuting this standards war represents a day lost in their race to remain relevant," analyst Krishna Chander at researcher iSuppli said in a recent note. "Amid the rise of exciting new digital media offerings like YouTube, iTunes and on-demand services, the window of lucrative opportunity is closing for both standards."

Toshiba also said it will continue ongoing promotions, including five HD DVD titles free with any of its HD DVD players.

Too bad BD TV Advertising (loved the BD commercial during the NFL playoffs) > Toshiba's noob USA Today advertising..
/golfclap.

Key phrase in the article: "Slashing prices to try to hang on"

aka giving items away because they are hanging over the cliff with one pink finger holding on.

I saw a TV add on HDTheatre for a Toshiba HD DVD player tonight also. It is the first add I have ever seen that did not have both Blu-ray and HD DVD together. Probably one of Toshiba's largest mistakes, having joined ads.

They can't dump the rest of their HD-DVD players without advertising.

"Toshiba is hoping lower prices will help it hang on."

Ok....good point vurb:rolleyes:

I've also noticed HD-DVD commercials on TV lately - well, sort of... I noticed them flying by while I was FF-ing through them on my DVR. I didn't bother to go back and watch.

I looked at CC yesterday. They had the same amount of space for Bluray disks and HD-DVD disks. Two different salesmen stated that CC was selling and promoting both formats. I asked both salesmen which format they thought would win. They said both will be around. One of the salesmen "blinked" when he said that. I asked: "Is that what you believe or what management tells you to say?" He said: "That is our official position. I have my own opinion but I cannot tell you what it is." Later another salesmen told me: "HD-DVD is dead! We are not even selling warranties for the players."

At our BB there are 6 sections of software for Bluray vs only 3 for HD-DVD. The software for HD-DVD was fully stocked and neatly arranged. The Bluray section looked as tho is was picked over and many titles had been sold.

I looked around for Bluray players. There were very few in stock. A salesperson told me there had been a big demand for them and they were having a hard time getting restocked. There was a good supply of HD-DVD players all neatly stacked.

I think the HD-DVD patient is in intensive care and on life support. Soon the plug will be pulled.

It depends where. At some discount clubs (Costco, Sams) HD DVD players are still selling briskly.

Circuit City and Best Buy always pushed Blu-Ray more heavily. It's easier to sell a $100 HDMI cable with a $500 player than a $100 HDMI cable with a $200 player.

Whenever HD DVD players sell out, Blubots say it's because the model is discontinued. When Blu-ray players sell out people say Warner even though NPD says it was due to bundling and special promotions. Kudos to Blu for outmarketing. When those HD DVD players were $99 at Wal-Mart last year I had several coworkers say that it was a clearance since HD DVD wasn't selling well. I knew then that HD DVD had been out-blogged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts