HD-DVD Versions of HP and Bourne are BUNGLED! Doom and Gloom for HD-DVD!!!

Because someone had a scratched disc or the wrong firmware? Say, how is life in the toilet floating around with the rest of the trolls? :rolleyes:
I honestly dont see the difference in him posting this, and you or any of the ones on the other side posting the stuff you do. Wait, its something against HD-DVD, my bad:rolleyes: Not to mention it was just in good fun

Edit: Just had to add, that mine played fine. Gosh Onuos!!!!!!!!!;)

My HP worked great, TrueHD was amazing. Probably a bad batch, happens to BD also, but onuoSfAN I don't see you going out of your way to point those out. Great title to this thread.
Haha, there seem to be plenty on here to do that for him

We are having fun too -- Merry Christmas:)

Well, I sometimes wonder whether certain people around here even know how to have fun or take a joke... :)

Here's a lesson for everyone: if I use the words "doom and gloom" in a thread title, you can be pretty sure it's not serious (not that anything I write in this forum is ever particularly serious anyway).

ONUOsFAN-

Since you pull quoted me in your argument against HD DVD- let me offer this thread some full thoughts on the so called war among owners of these formats.

My Bourne Ultimatum is indeed flawed and will not play as stated. ie from about 1Hr 55 minutes. to the end. Considering the varied responses also listed in that thread, I would say that the problem is pervasive. But I would also have to say that performance may depend on a number of other factors besides, as you would like to believe, an incapable format, HD DVD.

Both formats offer a variety of audio and video outputs. One poster claims to not have any issues with subject Title but then goes on to claim they are only using 1080i. Others have had problems with 1080p24fps and this appears on different players both HD DVD as well as BluRay. Firmware upgrades in recent months have aided both formats on troubled players as well. What wouldn't play before upgrade now plays...

My assessment for both formats is this-

HD DVD and BluRay are still in the early development phases of their life cycle. While HD DVD requires advanced features from the start, BluRay does not and is adding them beginning now. This is a problem for all those DVD's in BR that are now released and lack advanced features that HD DVD requires. Yet, still, we have problems with HD DVD the moment new features are added on a new release. The players don't work properly. In a short period of ownership from October to now, My Toshiba A30 went from not playing a DVD like 300, getting some error code on the screen to playing it fine with a firmware upgrade of 1.3. I truly believe that Bourne Ultimatum fits this cycle. As more owners complain toshiba will release a new firmware to resolve these incompatibilities and the disk I now have will follow the route of that 300 title. It will play without issues.
But what about Blue Ray? Is it immune to similar issues? I think not. I have had an equal number of troubles of BR titles not working as they should with the player using original firmware. Once upgraded, the titles played flawlessly. e.g. Spiderman 3 wouldn't play and now does after firmware upgrade. But just like Bourne Ultimatum is flawed on HD DVD, I had a similar experience with BR title Pirates of Caribbean At World's End. I can't watch it past a certain point in time as the image pauses and pixelates and freezes up the player requiring a reboot. I also suspect the manufacturer will come out with another firmware release to fix this as well.

I can't say for sure what causes it, without some serious testing I don't have the time to do right now. I wonder if it is frame rate related. Which could be the explanation why some have troubles and others don't. This applies to both formats.

One thing I do know is those who are stubbornly on one side or the other and make a practice of pull quoting issues like this are indeed shallow and are more interested in causing trouble than resolving what I have called developmental problems. If a decision is made to allow one to win over the other, it will not be based on issues like these but more on business decisions based on deals made with the studios and the titles and pricing that is acceptable in the market.

When one proponent makes a claim that the other format is flawed, he doesn't realize that his own format may have equal or worse flaws. People in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.

One thing I do know is those who are stubbornly on one side or the other and make a practice of pull quoting issues like this are indeed shallow and are more interested in causing trouble than resolving what I have called developmental problems. If a decision is made to allow one to win over the other, it will not be based on issues like these but more on business decisions based on deals made with the studios and the titles and pricing that is acceptable in the market.

When one proponent makes a claim that the other format is flawed, he doesn't realize that his own format may have equal or worse flaws. People in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.
Wow Don, usually you make some good points, but did you read all of the thread, it was obviously in jest. Lighten up:up

This was my point:

Some of you guys take yourselves way too seriously. If you have spent more than 5 minutes on this board you know that what BigTim said about Vurbano is 100% true. If those posts had been made about BD he would have been all over it.

THIS WAS A JOKE.

I like HD-DVD just fine (well, other than the ugly red boxes), but I felt the need to balance out Vurbano at little bit and, yes, to have a little fun with him and the other people that think HD never has any problems.

Then you should have stated please don't take anything I say serious, I'm just trying to rattle Vurbano. Instead, you really do come off acting shallow. With Vurbano, we know how he is, but you don't have that distinction of being like him just yet. So next time put what you stated above in your opening post. You should continue doing so until you have developed a similar reputation like Vurbano. A one-sided HDTV disk format boggot. :)

Wow Don, usually you make some good points, but did you read all of the thread, it was obviously in jest. Lighten up:up

No I didn't originally, but after my post on the facts, read further and realized the OP was either joking or just back-peddling. I'm still trying to figure out if I just just ignore him as a jester or try to determine his motives first.

In the forum posts, I can't assume everytime someone posts something I don't agree with they are just kidding. Back peddling is a practice alive and well. At least with Vurbano, I know where he stands and while don't always agree, most of the time I don't, I do know his position is stated with personal integrity and honesty. It IS what he thinks.

Then you should have stated please don't take anything I say serious, I'm just trying to rattle Vurbano. Instead, you really do come off acting shallow. With Vurbano, we know how he is, but you don't have that distinction of being like him just yet. So next time put what you stated above in your opening post. You should continue doing so until you have developed a similar reputation like Vurbano. A one-sided HDTV disk format boggot. :)

Obviously there are several other people who also took what I said seriously, despite the (I thought) obviously sarcastic tone of my thread title and the couple of smileys I put in the original post.

As I said before, I would have thought that for anyone who has read this forum for any length of time (or even just looked through the first page or two of threads on this war zone and saw the myriad similar blu-bashing titles by Vurbano), my intentions would have been clear. I apologize if they were not, and for using your post to prove my point.

I own and like both formats and, although I prefer Blu-Ray, I would be fine with either side "winning" at this point. I enjoy the discussion and I will pipe in on it to be sure, but I at least try, when not saddled by my own limited knowledge, to look at things fairly and honestly.

That being said, this forum is a form of entertainment for me, so I'll continue to have fun with it until someone makes a "no joking" rule...

Obviously there are several other people who also took what I said seriously, despite the (I thought) obviously sarcastic tone of my thread title and the couple of smileys I put in the original post.

As I said before, I would have thought that for anyone who has read this forum for any length of time (or even just looked through the first page or two of threads on this war zone and saw the myriad similar blu-bashing titles by Vurbano), my intentions would have been clear. I apologize if they were not, and for using your post to prove my point.

I own and like both formats and, although I prefer Blu-Ray, I would be fine with either side "winning" at this point. I enjoy the discussion and I will pipe in on it to be sure, but I at least try, when not saddled by my own limited knowledge, to look at things fairly and honestly.

That being said, this forum is a form of entertainment for me, so I'll continue to have fun with it until someone makes a "no joking" rule...
:up:up

LoL, That only applies if you do not say something bad about the PS3. Then the posters around here get all uppity and cant take anything as a joke :D

*I will bet 80% of people will not read this part. the one explaining I too was poking fun*

LoL, That only applies if you do not say something bad about the PS3. Then the posters around here get all uppity and cant take anything as a joke :D

*I will bet 80% of people will not read this part. the one explaining I too was poking fun*
How dare you!
Why do you always stir up trouble?!?!?!?!?!

If a proper estimate of the average age of HD/BD owners could've been done, I think the BD owner would turn out to be noticable younger...
Hence, much more value is put into "publicity", to be heard, narcissistic behavior, etc.

Case in point: have a look at this BD-only thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/118216-problem-ps3-video.html
Except for the repeated question of the original poster, very few on-topic comments from the BD faithful...
I don't think I've seen a more useless thread in years.

"It was just a joke...", "I was just messing with <name>...", "Just having fun...", etc. Isn't this the definition of childish? :)

Diogen.

Last edited:
Its the War Zone folks. Lets start questioning everyones intent and calling everyone having a little fun shallow and childish(sarcasm). Its in the spirit of the thread, and no one had a personal attack leveled at them at the start of the thread (although several have come close later on). If someone offends you, or you think its childish, pass on and ignore it. Otherwise, have fun and lighten up:)

If a proper estimate of the average age of HD/BD owners could've been done, I think the BD owner would turn out to be noticable younger...
Hence, much more value is put into "publicity", to be heard, narcissistic behavior, etc.

Case in point: have a look at this BD-only thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/118216-problem-ps3-video.html
Except for the repeated question of the original poster, not a single on-topic comment from the BD faithful...
I don't think I've seen a more useless thread in years.

"It was just a joke...", "I was just messing with <name>...", "Just having fun...", etc. Isn't this the definition of childish? :)

Diogen.

You're absolutely right. We're all a bunch of narcissistic children who can't stay on topic (even though I did try to answer that OP's question, unsuccessfully) and like to play around. Feel free to stay out of our conversations going forward so you won't be subjected to our inane banter.

Your "joke" was to try and cause an uproar with the red folks. It worked!

I couldn't have cared less, but now it's getting kinda personal, and that sucks!

Also, it's po-tay-toe!

I actually wasn't trying to cause an uproar as much as I was poking fun at those who like to cause an uproar on the blue side... but now we're arguing technicalities.

At any rate, I apologize to anyone who was sensitive enough to be offended by this thread.

I actually wasn't trying to cause an uproar as much as I was poking fun at those who like to cause an uproar on the blue side... but now we're arguing technicalities.

At any rate, I apologize to anyone who was sensitive enough to be offended by this thread.

I don't think you should apologize for any thing you have said.
I know what you were trying to accomplish and I salute you, for It was way overdue. Interesting what happens when the shoe is on the other foot.
We should have a thick skin by now, but to be truthful, I grow tired of it.
I originally came to this forum because I am an HD/audio enthusiast and thought I could learn more and resolve any potential questions/problems as the technology progressed and have some fun at the same time.
Yeah I know, If you don't like it, then leave, but I don't think that option Is what SatGuys wants, but then again I could be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)