HD DVD will Win!

The funny thing about all of these discussions is that the format war will be decided by people who pay $69.98 for a player(BD or HDDVD), connect it to their tv with the yellow, white, and red connnectors, and talk about the great picture quality.

The funny thing about all of these discussions is that the format war will be decided by people who pay $69.98 for a player(BD or HDDVD), connect it to their tv with the yellow, white, and red connnectors, and talk about the great picture quality.

you tell no lies whatsoever my good man :)

$250 with new releases streeting below $20 is the real tipping point for mass adoption.

What was the price point for DVD players? I really don't know, but my vague recollection is that when they were $250 that was still considered too expensive by many.

Ummm, errrr, you mean to tell me that that is not how it is done???:p

What was the price point for DVD players? I really don't know, but my vague recollection is that when they were $250 that was still considered too expensive by many.

Mass adoption for DVD started kicking in at the $250 price point.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a tougher sell to most people. Too bad, as I think the HD movie experience on these discs is the best we're likely to see anytime soon. That's regardless of format BTW.

Cheers,

So, with inflation, what's that today? $350, maybe $400?

I wouldn't agonize so much over a $400 purchase, but the pain goes up rapidly past $500. $1,000 is a non-starter.

Of course, if it's really THAT much better than Dish HD, and we have a resolution of the format war, I might reconsider. But we don't watch that many movies.

One point to make is people need to buy a HDTV too! With DVD most everyone had a TV that was able to hook up a DVD player. Avg JoeSix pack may want the HD DVD or Blue Ray, but need's to get the HDTV too! Not saying that's everything, but I think its part of it.

So, with inflation, what's that today? $350, maybe $400?

I wouldn't agonize so much over a $400 purchase, but the pain goes up rapidly past $500. $1,000 is a non-starter.

While there has been some inflation in that time frame; salaries have not (on average) risen 40-60% to match that price differential you're talking about in the same time period.

Doesn't matter anyway because it's going to be about the same tipping point for HD players ($250). What you're comfortable with spending and what the general buying public is comfortable with are two different things.

Of course, if it's really THAT much better than Dish HD, and we have a resolution of the format war, I might reconsider. But we don't watch that many movies.

My comparison point is D-VHS and OTA-HD that I captured before there was multicasting on my CBS affiliate. These set the bar for HD Picture Quality. Dish doesn't.

And yes, it's really that much better than Dish HD.

Cheers,

you just want your investmetn to pan out. I have both formats so it makes no difference to me!!!! Have a great day, cant see the facts, wont accept the facts, HDDVD lover.
They need to teach you at Hokie high that consumer electronics are not an investment

They need to teach you at Hokie high that consumer electronics are not an investment

Now that is a funny statement coming from the guy that has stated on numerous occasions that he keeps his "Turd Bird" D* only because of his small fortune invested, yep, I said it, invested in D* equipment. Talking about hypocritical! LOL

Now that is a funny statement coming from the guy that has stated on numerous occasions that he keeps his "Turd Bird" D* only because of his small fortune invested, yep, I said it, invested in D* equipment. Talking about hypocritical! LOL
And I made a mistake didnt I? Fortunately I still have some other uses for most of it.

From the Wallstreet Journal:

"About 695,000 consumers own either a Blu-ray or an HD-DVD player, according to Tom Adams of Adams Media Research in Carmel, Calif. But only about 25,000 have purchased stand-alone Blu-ray players. Another 400,000 consumers have Blu-ray because they bought a Sony PS3 game console. Meanwhile, about 120,000 or so have a stand-alone HD-DVD player while about 150,000 have an HD-DVD upgrade kit for their Xbox 360 game consoles, Mr. Adams says. He adds that those numbers are well in excess of the 300,000 DVD-player sales in 1997, when that technology rolled out."

Now if few PS3 owners are buying BD movies then the outlook for BD is bleak with those numbers. No wonder they are announcing price drops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts