HD DVD will Win!

"...I'm not sure how I didn't remember this, but XBLM movies are in 720p, so the distinction in bitrate requirements between 1080 lines and 720 lines should be fairly great...."

Not that great. Remember, 720p has twice the frame rate as 1080i, so the difference narrows.

Anyway, on player sales- shouldn't we expect a slowdown after the Xmas shopping binge? Isn't January normally a slow month for retail in general? Maybe more disks will sell, but I'd expect players and game consoles to fall way back after the holidays and clearance sales are done.

There has to be some better data. I find it hard to believe that Blue Ray sales are about flat since PS3 launch. Just doesn't seem right. I would think, with instantly the numbers, Blue Ray movies should outsell HD DVD since PS3 launch.

I would believe it would take a month as remember the majority of them were sold on ebay, I think Jan will be a good month for Blu ray-also I am asking this in all seriousness, does anyone else have any other figures, I am just now learning about this stuff, and would love to know what sites you guys keep your eyes on-thank you.:hatsoff:

Also, don't forget that the bulk of the folks overpaying on EBay are trying to get Junior one for Christmas. Look for thesales spike next week IF they are hooked up to HDTVs and they've got some gift cards to burn up...

How can the charts offered above be acurate if some of the BluRay titles haven't hit the street and the HD-DVD ones have been out for about two months? Something about these charts is not adding up?

Joe its just showing overall sales for Blu ray, and overall for HD DVD, like how many are in the top 100, and so forth, not Mi3 blu ray vs Mi3 Hd DVD (which by the way I just found the wifes stash, and no I wasnt looking through it, but I did notice several blu ray titles and Mi3 being one!!!) anyways, it jut shows that as a whole Blu ray is on the rise where as HD DVD is on a SLIGHT decrease, it could pick up spike drop whatever, but I am just commenting recently if anyone has anything else, please post it as I am here to learn!

Also, don't forget that the bulk of the folks overpaying on EBay are trying to get Junior one for Christmas. Look for thesales spike next week IF they are hooked up to HDTVs and they've got some gift cards to burn up...

thats a good point, and I think this will go for the HD DVD crowd who get the Add on as well, I think right now we are seeing the true competition as Blu ray seems to have finally got a start, and are producing great looking disks, which by the way dosent include Talladega nights, you know the Blu ray that is suppose to show off the blu ray power included in the Ps3-stupid Sony!!! I think even Joe has to agree that was a stupid stupid move!

HD DVD wins, Blu-ray loses
Much like it is with game systems; competing formats for video are not about the best technology. They are about the most prevalent technology. It is expensive to publish movies and, at least for now, you can't put Blu-ray and HD DVD disks into the same box.

With the Xbox 360 moving so strongly into the market and the top accessory this year being the $200 HD-DVD drive the battle may be over by year end. There is every chance that there may be as many as ten times more HD DVD players than Blu-ray players in the market by the end of the year - even if you don't factor in that HP, the current leader in PC sales, started shipping desktop computers with a $100 HD DVD option. This, coupled with a much lower overall cost for the stand alone players as well as better support for legacy TVs and dual mode disks (that have both legacy DVD and HD-DVD content on a single disk), suggests that HD-DVD is now the format to beat.

HD-DVD wins because of the Xbox 360 - which is ironic, given Blu-ray should have won because of the Playstation 3. Instead, Blu-ray has delayed the Playstation 3 to a point where Sony may have to wait until the Playstation 4 to recover.

BetaMax, Mini-Disk, MemoryStick, and now Blu-ray. At least Sony is consistent. Also, if there is one company that is really looking forward to a better 2007 more than Sony I don't know of it. Boy, when you couple in root kits and battery/camera recalls, you are talking about a really nasty run of bad luck for Sony this year.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/29/enderle_on_christmas_trends/

Don't shot the messenger.:D

Last edited:
"...the battle may be over by year end. ..."

What are you smoking and where can I get some? ;)

And oh yeah- BANG!

HD DVD wins, Blu-ray loses
Much like it is with game systems; competing formats for video are not about the best technology. They are about the most prevalent technology. It is expensive to publish movies and, at least for now, you can't put Blu-ray and HD DVD disks into the same box.

With the Xbox 360 moving so strongly into the market and the top accessory this year being the $200 HD-DVD drive the battle may be over by year end. There is every chance that there may be as many as ten times more HD DVD players than Blu-ray players in the market by the end of the year - even if you don't factor in that HP, the current leader in PC sales, started shipping desktop computers with a $100 HD DVD option. This, coupled with a much lower overall cost for the stand alone players as well as better support for legacy TVs and dual mode disks (that have both legacy DVD and HD-DVD content on a single disk), suggests that HD-DVD is now the format to beat.

HD-DVD wins because of the Xbox 360 - which is ironic, given Blu-ray should have won because of the Playstation 3. Instead, Blu-ray has delayed the Playstation 3 to a point where Sony may have to wait until the Playstation 4 to recover.

BetaMax, Mini-Disk, MemoryStick, and now Blu-ray. At least Sony is consistent. Also, if there is one company that is really looking forward to a better 2007 more than Sony I don't know of it. Boy, when you couple in root kits and battery/camera recalls, you are talking about a really nasty run of bad luck for Sony this year.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/29/enderle_on_christmas_trends/

Don't shot the messenger.:D

As pointed out earlier the author is a paid agent of Toshiba. He is also a profesional spin doctor.

Joe its just showing overall sales for Blu ray, and overall for HD DVD, like how many are in the top 100, and so forth, not Mi3 blu ray vs Mi3 Hd DVD (which by the way I just found the wifes stash, and no I wasnt looking through it, but I did notice several blu ray titles and Mi3 being one!!!) anyways, it jut shows that as a whole Blu ray is on the rise where as HD DVD is on a SLIGHT decrease, it could pick up spike drop whatever, but I am just commenting recently if anyone has anything else, please post it as I am here to learn!

Titles in the top 100 or whatever cannot be used to determine total sales. There is no data on that page regarding total sales. But keep basing your arguments off charts you can't read or properly analyze, it contributes so much to the ongoing discussion.

Titles in the top 100 or whatever cannot be used to determine total sales. There is no data on that page regarding total sales. But keep basing your arguments off charts you can't read or properly analyze, it contributes so much to the ongoing discussion.
I can properly analyze them, if you need me to I will tell you how to read them, the first chart, which I refered to as the total overall sales, actually is the sales of the top 10 Blu rays, and HD DVD...Sorry if I confused you there little fella...anyways to get this, add the Top ten Sales ranks together of Blu ray, and then Divide by 10, you have the average spot that Blu ray is selling at for the top 10, then you do the same for HD DVD.....it gives you a rough estimate of how each are selling, hence my confusing statement of overall, which is a overall average of the top 10, now like I said I see Blu ray as taking a good jump lately, but I dont go by the last week, or 30 days, I went by the Show all button so I could see the whole picture, not just what I wanted, and what I saw was HD DVD while doing very well, started to take a little nose dive ( note I said little, I didnt twist facts, and I have always said slight or little) while at that same time, I saw Blu ray gaining some good ground- on 10/27 average rank was right around 4000, but now its 1500, seems good to me. So thats how you read those charts, are you still confused? can I add anything else to the ongoing discussion of HD DVD will win? also just a question, how are those sales going to look in feb/march when there are no HD DVDS announced as of yet?

I can properly analyze them, if you need me to I will tell you how to read them, the first chart, which I refered to as the total overall sales, actually is the sales of the top 10 Blu rays, and HD DVD...Sorry if I confused you there little fella...anyways to get this, add the Top ten Sales ranks together of Blu ray, and then Divide by 10, you have the average spot that Blu ray is selling at for the top 10, then you do the same for HD DVD.....it gives you a rough estimate of how each are selling, hence my confusing statement of overall, which is a overall average of the top 10, now like I said I see Blu ray as taking a good jump lately, but I dont go by the last week, or 30 days, I went by the Show all button so I could see the whole picture, not just what I wanted, and what I saw was HD DVD while doing very well, started to take a little nose dive ( note I said little, I didnt twist facts, and I have always said slight or little) while at that same time, I saw Blu ray gaining some good ground- on 10/27 average rank was right around 4000, but now its 1500, seems good to me. So thats how you read those charts, are you still confused? can I add anything else to the ongoing discussion of HD DVD will win? also just a question, how are those sales going to look in feb/march when there are no HD DVDS announced as of yet?

More of your worthless logic. It's much easier to make up ground when you are further behind. Moving up when you are closer to the top is much harder.

More of your worthless logic. It's much easier to make up ground when you are further behind. Moving up when you are closer to the top is much harder.

gain ground? if it keeps going the way it is with HD DVD losing groung, blu ray will be waving as it passes the sales here shortly, also HD DVD is not king of the sales, remember the whole rating of 500 and some or whatever it was? so as I see it HD DVD is slipping a little and Blu ray is coming up, but whatever its just my worthless logic that I am reading from these charts of sales...keep thinking that way, and coming at me with the personal attacks, you are really driving your point home.

gain ground? if it keeps going the way it is with HD DVD losing groung, blu ray will be waving as it passes the sales here shortly, also HD DVD is not king of the sales, remember the whole rating of 500 and some or whatever it was? so as I see it HD DVD is slipping a little and Blu ray is coming up, but whatever its just my worthless logic that I am reading from these charts of sales...keep thinking that way, and coming at me with the personal attacks, you are really driving your point home.
HorseSH$t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)