HD Forum: Black Out Frames on Starz HD

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
For weeks now my wife has been complaining about blackout frames while watching Starz HD in the evening. Well I stayed up late and watched several Starz HD movies the other night and she was right. Every few minutes the video would go black, like a frame was being skipped or like a frame was poorly edited out of the film. It DID NOT seem to affect the audio (i.e., I didn't see the typical signal recapture text across my Sony audio receiver's screen and I didn't detect any drop in audio, but it is so fast, I might have missed a dropped word). My wife said it gets worse later at night as you continue watching and she is correct again.

This Black Out frame problem is limited solely to Starz HD. I also have Cinemax and I don't see the problem on Cinemax or on any other cable channels or on my OTA locals.

Any one else seeing this problem? Any idea what the problem is and what I should do about it?

Yes - same here on my 722.

I believe there was a thread on this recently - maybe the tech discussions area.

David

Yes - same here on my 722.

I believe there was a thread on this recently - maybe the tech discussions area.

David

Anybody got a link to the referenced thread? I can't find it using my terms for the problem as the search terms.

I'm seeing the same thing. I was about to blame it on my install since I just got DISH about a month ago. Thought it was 'losing' the satellite feed and wasn't tuned correctly.

I'm glad there's a thread on this already..and I don't ahve to start one. ;-)

Is it possible this is some new type of DRM? Maybe this black frame is analogous to the 'bad sector' DRM that became popular on DVDs a couple of years ago. At least I had the sneaking suspicion that this was happening as part of some new technique to thrawt hackers.

Who knows. I hope someone gets to the truth.

Never mind, I did find the thread under the Technical Discussions, which hardly anyone reads. The thread doesn't help as all it confirms is other are seeing the same thing that I'm seeing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)