HD LiL for Atlanta set for Nov. 22?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just so that I am sure where I am heading - why would I want D* delivered locals if I already get OTA? Isn't this really good for people who don't get or want to set up the OTA? My assumption is that the OTA signal is better since it is an original vs. what D* will deliver - true? For example, I'm just trying to understand why I would want to switch to the D* version of WSB-TV (ABC) for Lost vs the OTA version of WSB-TV here in Atlanta.

Local in Atlanta..cost and channels

I just called sales and got this answer (I am existing customer since '93). Cost is $99 plus $14.95. Rebate is for the 99 and is mail-in only, no instant rebate. Rebate is available starting 25 Nov, couldn't get rebate if I ordered today. All locals included, not just big 4. Based on past experience, I probably could have gotten rebate now if I had wanted to bother the rentention folks. Just not that important for me, as I get all via OTA. I'll let the fury die down. Oh, I did ask about installation scheduling and was told normally within 72 hrs.

RicS said:
Just so that I am sure where I am heading - why would I want D* delivered locals if I already get OTA? Isn't this really good for people who don't get or want to set up the OTA? My assumption is that the OTA signal is better since it is an original vs. what D* will deliver - true? For example, I'm just trying to understand why I would want to switch to the D* version of WSB-TV (ABC) for Lost vs the OTA version of WSB-TV here in Atlanta.

If you are able to get a good signal at all times, then you wouldn't want this option from D* in most cases. For me, the only thing I could receive was NBC with the Channel Master 4228 and 7777 preamp mounted 40 feet in the air (I'm 60 miles from the towers with Stone Mountain right in my path and a large ridge right in my line of sight).

Also, my E* receiver only has 1 ATSC OTA receiver built in (not sure how many D* has on their units), so if you wanted to watch 1 OTA channel while recording another OTA, the receiver could not do it.

RicS,

If you get good reception for OTA then I think you would stick with what you have. I am in the far north east corner of Gwinnett County and my signal strength sucks and can't improve it much due to subdivision rules about antenna's on roof's.

I wish I could pull a better signal but I can't so i have to go with D*.

I will be able to see the OTA vs. D* pictures side by side, should be interesting to see if I notice much of a difference.

rstettne said:
I called back and here is the latest "deal".

Set up appointment today = $99 + $14.95 and includes the dish and installation.
Set up appointment on Friday (Nov. 25) and cost will be $188 + $14.95 - $200 rebate, includes dish and installation.

Thanks Robert, I may be calling.

rstettne, just to be clear on what you said above. If you call on Friday you get the new H20 + new dish + installation for $202.95, and a $200 rebate, for a net cost to you of $2.95?

I just called and placed the order... here is the deal I got..

I was not a previous HD customer, so there was no upgrade path for me..

$149.00 for the Receiver, 5 LNB dish, and HD Off Air antenna.

The Antenna, I thought is strange, because I was under the impression that the H20 didn't pickup Off Air signals...

?????????????????

We'll see what happens... Installation is scheduled for next Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes...

Rick

The Big Wood said:
If you are able to get a good signal at all times, then you wouldn't want this option from D* in most cases. For me, the only thing I could receive was NBC with the Channel Master 4228 and 7777 preamp mounted 40 feet in the air (I'm 60 miles from the towers with Stone Mountain right in my path and a large ridge right in my line of sight).

Also, my E* receiver only has 1 ATSC OTA receiver built in (not sure how many D* has on their units), so if you wanted to watch 1 OTA channel while recording another OTA, the receiver could not do it.

Thanks - that's what I thought. I just got the HDTivo so I have dual tuners with a pretty good signal on all OTA channels. Last night's rain affected the signal a bit but didn't make anything unwatchable so I think I will stick with what I have until I need a new dish to get other HD channels. Appreciate the input and good luck on your setup

Unfortunetly for me, I'm in Lawrenceville between Five Forks and 29, just south of Surgarloaf Parkway in a valley. When I first tried going off air I was able to get just one chanel with a roof mounted antenna pointed towards atlanta.

For $150 not to have to deal with the mess, seems like a good deal to me. If they install an Antenna as well, then super!

conekiller said:
$149.00 for the Receiver, 5 LNB dish, and HD Off Air antenna.

The Antenna, I thought is strange, because I was under the impression that the H20 didn't pickup Off Air signals...
Rick

That does sound strange! Why would they give you an OTA antenna when you would be receiving them through the D* service (to notice D* is compressing the signal and you can notify them of the error of their ways ;) )?

Yep, that price is what I was told on the phone. History tells me that this may or may not be correct. :rolleyes:

I will see what happens Friday and report back.

D* website is now showing the HD locals are available for Atlanta.

Right now, they show only ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX as available. Would have been icing on the cake if they had our others (TBS, PBS, WB, UPN).

Surprise...I was either lied to or I talked to yet another uninformed CSR.

I was told yesterday, and I asked twice to be sure, that all available locals in ATL would be included. UPN, TBS, WB...

They also said they would call me back last night because they could not enter my order (system was down again) and never did. :eek:

A side question to this....currently you cannot get the locals in HD nor with Dolby SS 5.1. Does this upgrade (when implemented) mean the SS will now function? If so, will it only work with a HD box?

rstettne said:
Surprise...I was either lied to or I talked to yet another uninformed CSR.

I was told yesterday, and I asked twice to be sure, that all available locals in ATL would be included. UPN, TBS, WB...

They also said they would call me back last night because they could not enter my order (system was down again) and never did. :eek:

The CSR I talked to actually quoted all the channel numbers, 17-1 for TBS, etc..so I took it he actually had a clue.

The D* web site says for Atlanta you'll get channels 2, 5, 11 and 46 for local HD programming (go to local channels and put in an Atlanta ZIP code).

Revenoor said:
The CSR I talked to actually quoted all the channel numbers, 17-1 for TBS, etc..so I took it he actually had a clue.
It sounds like that CSR is confusing OTA locals with the MPEG-4 locals. I don't believe the MPEG-4 locals will need the "-1" designation, as you'll not have the SD version of the local channel from the sateliite.

Newshawk said:
It sounds like that CSR is confusing OTA locals with the MPEG-4 locals. I don't believe the MPEG-4 locals will need the "-1" designation, as you'll not have the SD version of the local channel from the sateliite.
TBS digital is 17.1 while TBS analog is 17. They would still need the .1 to designate the difference.

Something that just occurred to me, will the SD channels still be active along with the HD channels on D*? If one of the HD signals die for some reason, will the SD still be there to use as a backup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts