HD picture quality

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
I have a Sony WEGA KP-51WS520. Have a Toshiba A2 connected to it via HDMI 1.3. I'm not to impressed HD with the picture quality. It's a crystal clear image, but I don't see much difference between a HD dvd or a standard dvd movie. Is this pretty much expected with this model of TV?

What output resolution is you A2 set to? Make sure you are sending 1080i.

also depends if your optics are clean and that your display is tightly converged.

also depends on your source material.

also depends on whether your glasses have been cleaned :)

Gregg

PS: your HD2 display is not HDMI 1.3, it is only 1.2...though it doesnt matter on a crt based display.

Take the time to do some convergence and that will usually help a lot. Web design, Webpage Design, Web page design, web development by Keohi Web Design and then link to the HD forums has some great convergence tips.

also depends if your optics are clean and that your display is tightly converged.

also depends on your source material.

also depends on whether your glasses have been cleaned :)

Gregg

PS: your HD2 display is not HDMI 1.3, it is only 1.2...though it doesnt matter on a crt based display.

Take the time to do some convergence and that will usually help a lot. Web design, Webpage Design, Web page design, web development by Keohi Web Design and then link to the HD forums has some great convergence tips.

Did auto and manual convergence last night.

The HD movie i'm using is Transformers.

Clean optics? What do you mean?

Cleaned my glasses.

I didn't find anything on the site link you posted. And what forums are you talking about, on this site or another.

I also tried other HDMI cables, and even tried component cables. The picture looked the same.

What is wrong with the pq when you watch Transformers? Are you seeing grain on some of the darker scenes if that is the case that is just the way they transfered the movie on the disc, I have seen it on my Samsung 1080p DLP and my cousins Sony 1080p LCD

You've probably topped out on the resolution of the TV. The Toshiba HD-DVD players do a really good job with DVD.

Maybe. My standard player is a Toshiba. It delivered a great picture on my TV as well. I guese it gets back to my original question. Is this as good as it gets with my current TV? I was expecting the images to appear as live. Oh well. Will just have to hope this TV blows up soon so I can get a new one.:D

You didn't say what resolution the A2 is set to. Press the RESOLUTION button on your remote several times and make sure that the player's display says 1080i.

Don't use 720p: some of the older Sony CRT's are known for downconverting 720p to 480p.

Is this as good as it gets with my current TV?
That's what I meant by "topped out". Film transfers will never look "live" if that's what you're asking. "live" is more like the Plasma version of "film" -- very contrasty.

If you're concerned about how good an HD image can be, trot down to the local home theater store and look at some disc-based HD on a big (60"+) rear projection 1080p LCoS or DLP TV.

Is this as good as it gets with my current TV?
It actually could be.
With your TV set you are probably getting the best picture possible from a DVD playing on a upconverting player (compared to any fixed pixel modern TV).
And you might not be getting the "crisp" image from HD/BD designed to be played on modern TVs. It's not the hidef that looks bad, it's DVDs that look good on your TV.

Diogen.

It actually could be.

If this CRT display still has the glare screen on the front, never had the optics cleans or focused, service level convergence performed (for each mode), and gray scale / color decoder set correctly, then this display isnt anywhere near performing at its potential (for SD or HD DVDs). It is rare that the difference is less than "staggering" with a crt display.

If this CRT display still has the glare screen on the front, never had the optics cleans or focused, service level convergence performed (for each mode), and gray scale / color decoder set correctly, then this display isnt anywhere near performing at its potential (for SD or HD DVDs). It is rare that the difference is less than "staggering" with a crt display.

How and what would you recommed for these issues you mentioned? If you don't mind, could you go into more detail in these issues. This is all Greek to me. Thanks.

hmmm....
Scott had a web page up about my work on his HDTV crt based display
Perhaps he can offer a link.
there are a huge # of things that can affect the quality of the image (especially on crt systems).

...I don't see much difference between a HD dvd or a standard dvd movie.
How big is your TV screen (guessing 51" ?) and how far away from it are you? I have no complaints about how my A2 plays standard DVDs. They look excellent. Not as good as true HD material, but excellent none-the-less.

Yep, 51". I sit about 5 feet away from it. Bought a PS3 from Amazon, played a Blue Ray movie with the same results as HD. Good picture, and as I said before, just not what I was expecting. I need Santa to bring me a new TV.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)