HD Television w/ SD Receiver

bacchus101

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
I have a couple of DVR 625s and was thinking of upgrading my TV sets on by one over the next 6 months until I had all HD sets, and then I'd have the 625's changed out (at whatever cost) for some HD receivers.

My question in the mid term: Is the SD broadcast in 16x9 or 4x3?

Will it fit the native layout of the HD screen or will I have to stretch the picture to fit?

And maybe that would solve an even bigger question I have and that is, am I looking at a chopped off picture now on a 4x3 or is the Dish broadcast on SD still at 4x3?

I am guessing this falls into the stupid questions category, but I just have no idea...

SD is 4x3

You can stretch the picture either with the TV depending on it's capabilities or with the format settings on the Dish receiver which will give you 4:3 pillarbox with black or grey side bars or will stretch or zoom. Stretching will distort the image, zooming will cut off the picture on the sides and top and bottom.

Even with HD, not all HD channels have all HD all the time, but have some SD mixed in.

How you watch is a matter of individual taste. I even zoom HD sometimes like on ESPN to get rid of the obnoxious bottom line scroll.

I deal with this all the time. Customer have that nice new LCD, Plasma or LED TV and wonder why their 322 receiver looks like sh*t! They spend $2000 on a new TV and then hem and haw over upgrading to HD. I don't understand it!!

I watch a lot of "Criminal Minds" reruns on Ion in SD on our 42" plasma. It really looks quite good using the 722K's partial zoom. Other SD fare on other SD stations do not look very good. HD will spoil you, though!

Thanks for the responses.

My main issue is that I just upgraded to dual 625s (two months ago, getting rid of my old owned 301 and 508) so I doubt I qualify for an upgrade and will be taken to the bank by Dish (Anyone know how much if I went with one 722k? Would it just be the $95 install fee or would there be other fees?)

Also, I guess why I am confused is that all the SD channels I watch are cropped so I was wondering if I had the proper screen ratio if I'd be able to see what was on the left and right (but I guess SD is just chopped to begin with right from the source.)

Edit: And yes, I know I am almost the last person in America to invest in HD sets, but I wanted the technology to mature! ;)

bacchus101 said:
Thanks for the responses.

My main issue is that I just upgraded to dual 625s (two months ago, getting rid of my old owned 301 and 508) so I doubt I qualify for an upgrade and will be taken to the bank by Dish (Anyone know how much if I went with one 722k? Would it just be the $95 install fee or would there be other fees?)

Also, I guess why I am confused is that all the SD channels I watch are cropped so I was wondering if I had the proper screen ratio if I'd be able to see what was on the left and right (but I guess SD is just chopped to begin with right from the source.)

Edit: And yes, I know I am almost the last person in America to invest in HD sets, but I wanted the technology to mature! ;)

Your not the last. My mom wont buy a new hd set for herself. She says "What's the point? It already looks fine the way it is".

Your not the last. My mom wont buy a new hd set for herself. She says "What's the point? It already looks fine the way it is".

My Mother still doesn't have a VCR - she has a 25" Console RCA that has to be 25-30 years old and still works fine. I live in an area with mostly retired people (of which I am one) and I think I'm the only one on the block with a flat screen.

So I bit the bullet and got into another 24 month commitment to get HD.

My only issue is that they could not reasonably answer a question that I had.

I am replacing a 625 (two room with two SD sets) so I assume I need a Duo 722k (for two room one HD and one SD set.)

And they said, "We can not say the type of receiver you will receive, it is based on availability."

Isn't the 722k the only receiver that can replace a two room 625 installation? Also, I asked them about picking up OTA HD as they do not have HD locals in my area and they said that I should take that up with the installer...

I am sure it will work itself out.

A 622 or 722 would provide the same output as the 722k. Differences are 722 only has 1 OTA input and 622 has 1 OTA and smaller hard drive. They don't guarantee which one you'll get. If you don't need 2 OTA connections then the 722 is the same. Hope you get one of the 722s, they seem to be more reliable.

Edit: Reread you post. You do understand the 722k is a Duo DVR, not just a receiver? If you just need a receiver there are actually more options.

Last edited:
Edit: Reread you post. You do understand the 722k is a Duo DVR, not just a receiver? If you just need a receiver there are actually more options.

I need a DuoDVR with a TV2 out to another room.

I hope I get a 722 as well, being 30 hours of recording time is very, very slim (with the 622.) Also I only need one OTA input being I only need OTA for the two HD channels in my "slim pickings" area and TV2 would be able to get those channels in SD via the one tuner it will use (and it is an SD TV anyway.)

I guess my last question is, will the dish installer set up the OTA antenna or is that left for me to do? I am basically close enough to the tower that an indoor antenna would be fine.

Edit: My confirmation email said - 1 622/722 HD Duo DVR Receiver (as you stated.)

Last edited:
I guess my last question is, will the dish installer set up the OTA antenna or is that left for me to do? I am basically close enough to the tower that an indoor antenna would be fine.

I'm sure he would hook it up for you if you have the equipment and cable, but it's basically on you - not that difficult.

If the locals are available in your area you may not need the antenna, but it does give you an extra tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts