HDMI for Video, RCA cables (red, white) for audio

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Whenever I used HDMI for video AND audio, and outputted it from the TV to a audio receiver, the HD channels were always quieter than the SD channels. I got to thinking, would the sound be better if I just used RCA cables from the DVR and Blu-Ray player directly to the receiver, and just using HDMI for the video signal. Now all my channels are the same volume, and nothing sounds out of place.

Is there any disadvantage to doing this technically speaking?

Depends on your receiver. If it is multi channel, (ie 6.1 or 7.1) then that is a big disadvantage. Using r/w cables outputs 2 channel stereo not multi. You'd be losing the home theater experience.

If you equate louder with better, than I'd stick with the RCA cables.

But if you want 5.1 channel sound, you should go back to the HDMI setup, assuming you are sending the digital audio signal from the DVR to the TV to the receiver. Do you know if when you do the HDMI setup, your receiver is getting a 5.1 signal?

I think the reason for it being quieter is that stereo is forcing more sound through the speakers where as in 5.1, the central speaker gets more attention. I may be mistaken.

I never had a 5.1 setup to begin with. It's just a simple two channel receiver, with two 14' floor standing speakers.

My audio receiver doesn't have HDMI, it's all RCA connections. No 5.1 or 7.1 to speak of.

Probably no difference right?

I guess with 14 foot high speakers you might be looking for louder. :)

Joking aside, usually the settings on the home stereo will be what makes the signal change louder/quieter depending on the surround mode. I've seen the same with a 15 year old Yamaha and a 2 year old Onkyo. I end up fixing the settings for others to help 'improve' the sound, and not rewiring anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts