HDMI to component Adapter

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I'm thinking the cost of a joey each year may be small enough to go ahead and pull the trigger on a 722 to hopper upgrade. One problem is my bedroom TV's DVI port does not support HDCP, so component is my desired connection method. Since the Joey lacks component, I was figuring I could pickup an HDMI to component adapter. I thought monoprice had one but can't seem to find it on their site.

Any other recommendations?

Miner

I'm thinking the cost of a joey each year may be small enough to go ahead and pull the trigger on a 722 to hopper upgrade. One problem is my bedroom TV's DVI port does not support HDCP, so component is my desired connection method. Since the Joey lacks component, I was figuring I could pickup an HDMI to component adapter. I thought monoprice had one but can't seem to find it on their site.

Any other recommendations?

Miner

Here is another option. I think the Hopper supports component cables. You can have the installer put the Hopper in the bedroom and use a Joey at the main TV. I think the only features the Joey is missing compared to the hopper is picture in picture and support for bluetooth headphones. The picture and sound should be the same and all the DVR stuff works the same.

Here is another option. I think the Hopper supports component cables. You can have the installer put the Hopper in the bedroom and use a Joey at the main TV. I think the only features the Joey is missing compared to the hopper is picture in picture and support for bluetooth headphones. The picture and sound should be the same and all the DVR stuff works the same.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may go that route but I do use PiP in the family room more than my bedroom.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may go that route but I do use PiP in the family room more than my bedroom.

I hear ya. I use PiP quite a bit for sports too. It wouldn't be the solution for me but many people never use PiP so I thought it might work for you. If you can't find an HDMI to component adapter it is an option though.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong here and I've never used one but seems that an HDMI to component connection would be more complicate than a simple cable. You're going from digital to analog.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong here and I've never used one but seems that an HDMI to component connection would be more complicate than a simple cable. You're going from digital to analog.

It's not ideal but his bedroom TV doesn't support HDCP. This used to only be a problem for premium channels like HBO but now all the NBC/Universal channels are blocking TVs that don't support HDCP too. It looks like it is going to keep spreading to more and more channels.The way around that is to use component cables instead of HDMI but the Joey doesn't have component.

Now that I think about it an adapter might not fix the problem anyways. You would still be using the HDMI port so the Joey might still be checking for HDCP. I think hooking a hopper to the TV with component cables might be your only option. You could go with 2 hoppers instead of a Hopper and a Joey if you still want PiP at the living room TV though.

Hopper and Joey may not output full HD on some channels over component unless there is an HDMI with HDCP also connected to it. I would take the money for an adapter and put it toward a new TV.

I'm going HDMI to DVI off the Joey in our bedroom. You need to also send the audio to the TV also. No problems with HDCP.

I'm going HDMI to DVI off the Joey in our bedroom. You need to also send the audio to the TV also. No problems with HDCP.

Does your TV support HDCP? My Optoma does not unfortunately as it is a pretty decent HDTV. I have my 722 directly connected to it and have in the past had it connected via HDMI to DVI (w/ analog audio).

I would think an HDMI to component would (could) be HDCP compliant as the output format is analog and not digital which is what the anti piracy people seem so protective about. As another thread points out, HDCP only stops honest people.

http://dx.com/p/hdmi-to-component-video-audio-av-cable-13188?tc=USD&gclid=COajyLf2wboCFa5r7AodwGgA5A

Something like this just doesn't make sense to me. Again, digital to analog. Wouldn't it need a converter?

I saw one of those and thought the same thing. The fine print on one of them said your TV (or device) needs to be able to convert the digital signal (on the 5 RCA lines) to analog. It almost makes me wonder if this cable is used for the people who connect to "special" input cards on computers that have cracked HDCP????

This is the route to go. I think I actually have some here from when we still sold TVs with DVI inputs and no HDMI inputs. Probably the best option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)