HDnews LIVE coverage of Spaceship One Second Launch 10/4 @ 10am EDT

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Spaceship One is scheduled to make its second flight Monday 10/4/04, which incidentally is the anniversary of Sputnik's launch.

I was just informed that HDnews will be doing a live coverage tomorrow morning from Mojave Desert.

Hope anyone can catch it tomorrow and report here in this thread.

voomvoom said:
Just what is Spaceship One? Is it going to the Moon? Or is this the one that's taking the Inflatable Hotel into space?
Spaceship One is the leading privately funded manned space program, which will lead to commercialization of space, excursions, recreational travel, etc. There is a prize for the first private spacecraft that can go up twice in two weeks (showing that the spacecraft is reusable). I am not sure, but I think Monday's launch is the second trip to qualify for the prize.

It is not going to the moon, just reaching an altitude to prove that it made it to space. Since it is entirely privately funded, it has nothing to do with NASA or tax dollars.

I don't remember who is giving out the prize. Perhaps somebody else will post a better explanation.

From cnn.com:

The rush of money toward space businesses was the result Peter Diamandis intended when he founded the Ansari X Prize in 1996.

The prize offers $10 million for the first privately funded, three-seat spacecraft that could be flown twice in two weeks carrying three adults or their weight equivalent.

In all, 26 companies in seven countries rose to Diamandis's challenge. Although Mojave Aerospace Ventures got to space first, all now plan to vie for the potentially lucrative space tourism market.

Here's a link to the Ansari X Prize website.

HDNEWS-ch 100 - X-prize coverage

Voom Live HD feed from the calif desert waz amazing during the takeoff was amazing I hope HDN goes back to the live feed when the plane enters space and lands. HDN continues to expand and get better... ty voom

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A private space plane is set to shoot beyond Earth's atmosphere for the second time in a week Monday in a pioneering bid to win a $10 million prize and prove that space is open for business.

MR.C

HDNews is NOT live... even though they say they are!

So I woke up this morning and turned on HDNews to watch their "live" coverage of SpaceShipOne. I was watching for a few minutes while I was getting ready, and the whole time it said "live" in the upper left corner. The reporter was talking to one of the developers, then she mentioned about how beautiful the sun rise was over the Mojave Desert and that they were waiting for SpaceShipOne to taxi onto the runway. I changed the channel to CNN to check the market update only to see them also reporting live from the Mojave (where the sun was strangly up in the sky) and talking about how SpaceShipOne had just taken off! I turned back to HDNews and sure enough, they were still showing the sunrise and talking about how SpaceShipOne would be taking off within the hour. Seems like they are on atleast an hour delay, regardless, it definitely is not live. Very dissapointing. :no :rolleyes:

*It's 10:04am now, CNN is showing SpaceShipOne climbing to its seperation point; HDNews is running its loop and showing the Haiti story again. They mentioned again a few minutes ago that SpaceShipOne was scheduled to take off soon.

Man, this live coverage is hella lame. Mostly seems to be them mentioning Spaceship One briefly, and then breaking away to the same recycled snippets about the weekend's football games 'n the NY Subway.

I'd hoped for something continuous - like the coverage of the conventions.

10:45am - CNN just announced they are 5 minutes away from SpaceShipOne's seperation. It has climbed to over 50,000 feet. HDNews... still running their generic news loop. Ironically, as I am writing this they just played a commericial telling viewers to "tune in later today for live coverage of the SpaceShipOne launch". Very disappointing. I'm going to get off of the Internet now and watch this on CNN where it is live. Miles O'Brien just started the 1 minute count-down!!! (Fingers crossed)

10:57am - SpaceShipOne has rocketed into space. According to unofficial reports and the instruments in the craft itself, CNN is reporting that they seem to have made it! Very clean flight, no rolls this time! HDNews - just got done showing clips from yesterday's Eagles game, now showing the weather report for the Carribean. Voom, if this is what you are going to do with your news channel, either just get rid of it and give us more bandwidth, or get on the ball and run it like a news channel. Obviously they had cameras there since they did have some coverage (albeit on about an hour delay even though it showed that it was live), so why not play the news that people care about other than a recycled loop of last weekends stories? I'm so dissapointed right now... I'm going to go now before I really start ranting.

Sean Mota said:
I though it was going to be LIVE coverage.
Sean, you thought right. According to the HDNews commercial, it was supposed to be live. And, somewhat ironically, HDNews is still playing the ad now, even though CNN and the other news channels (even my local ABC channel) have shown SpaceShipOne already launched and landed. Embarrassing.
:(

Paul Allen personally sunk $20 M into this project and it returns $10 M. I'm sure it will pay off in the future though. A ride into space only cost $200k on this baby, as compared to about $20 M on other spacecraft.

I don't think Paul gets it back though... $10M is just to get everyone interested. The real payback will come in the future. Not so distant, as it seems!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)