Help Request

shawn_ky

Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Ashland, KY
I have read, read some more, and then read even more... In the end, I think it would be better to ask for help that make an educated guess as to what to get. I currently am using DISH and it works. However, I would like to pick up some OTA stations, to include MyZ on 23.2 ... which carries UK Basketball.

My TVFOOLS Report can be found here.

Thanks in advance!

I don't see channel 23 on that list. Anyway; your distance from the cluster of towers to the East would indicate that a four-bay bowtie (Antennas Direct dB4, Channel Master 4221) would work well. However, you're in Kentucky, so I looked a little harder, and you don't have a single channel within Line of Sight; they're all 2Edge at best, which means there's some potential for noise. I also noticed that there are only two VHF stations in less than 100 miles, so a UHF-only antenna is definitely the way to go. That puts me on the side of something with a finer beam width, like an Antennas Direct 42XG. You may also get lucky using something like a Winegard HD7696P to improve your FM reception while you're at it (no guarantees, that's not what it's made for), but it has nearly a 10' boom. You'll need at least 20' of elevation off the ground, and this all assumes that there isn't a giant cliff directly between you and the towers. Don't mess around with a rotator; you can't use one. Don't mess around with Radio Shack antenna amplfiers; if you need one, get a Channel Master, a Winegard, or a Motorola.

Channel 23 is the WSAZ virtual channel 3. Definitely no line of sight here, no cliffs or extremely large obstructions, and I can get 20ft without any problems with an antenna. I'll take a look at the antennas you suggested. I appreciate the help. From where I was looking, I didn't think the rotator would help so I am glad you confirmed that for me. :D That definitely helps. Pretty much all of the towers are in Huntington, WV and Charleston WV, so I was hoping it would be an "easier" setup. Thanks so much!

You have stations from East to SE of you with 2 edge reception, all UHF except WOWK channel 13.

I'd get some sort of 8 bay bow-tie type antenna (like the CM4228 or PR-8000) and point it about 100-105 degrees.

You may need to add a VHF if WOWK is too weak on the 8 bay UHF antenna, but I'd try it without first.

You have a PBS station at 313 degrees, but there is another, WKAS-DT channel 26, which is strong enough to be received slightly off line.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I did go with the HD-8800 and it works great... Finally had time to finish putting everything together today after it sat in my garage for more than 6 weeks... Right now it's in the house near the TV, but it will soon be in the attic. After looking at everything it appeared it would work decently without having to add anything outside, thought might as well try... And it did. The only channel missing in my area is Channel 8, but once it moves to the attic, that problem may too go away. Thanks for all of the help!!

Don't hold your breath for Channel 8. If you do still have trouble with it, get a set-top pair of rabbit ears and a UVSJ signal combiner to merge the signals in the attic.

I have a very similar TVFool report to yours with everything 2 edge and about the same distance to transmitters (~25 miles) with similar power levels as you. However, I also have a lot of trees in the direction of the signal so take that into account when I describe what antennas worked for me.

The following antennas are barely good enough to get my channels reliably (75-100% signal quality):

A Radio Shack VU-190 XR combination VHF/UHF antenna (biggest they make). Big sucker about 12 ft. long
Antennas Direct 91XG UHF antenna. Not sure if this will get your physical channel 13 (VHF) very well.
CM4228HD Channel Master 8-bay UHF antenna. Due to its construction it will probably get physical channel 13.

My LOS is about 150 ft. up and going up to about 30 ft. gained me nothing so I have my antenna(s) at about 10 ft. for easy access. Even there I can move it up or down 2-3 feet and lose reliable locks on some channels. Antenna position is very hit and miss with my 2 Edge reception/trees situation. I had to find a hot spot (both left/right and up/down) for reliable reception.

I also use a CM7777 pre-amp since I have about 80-90 ft. of coax to the antenna location.

Hope this helps.

DRCars

Last edited:
Channel 13 now comes in with 75-80% signal. Really didn't do anything except turn it a bit. As far as obstructions, none so far but it is winter. Spring may change that. I am happy with it right now-- main concern was MYZ so that I could pick up UK Basketball. This also means when my Dish Account is comp,tee, no more bill. OTA, Internet and Netflix all the way.

Well, I decided to come back and update this post so that others may find it later if needed. I was able to pull in 20 channels (WOW!!) by adding one last piece of equipment that the cable guy had installed previously when I hadcable. (I love it when I don't have to buy something...) I installed a PCT PCT-MA2-M 5-42/54-1002 Mhz Passive Return Multimedia Drop Amplifier and now every local channel comes in. I am receiving a low 65 on a couple of channels that I shouldn't probably get and a high 98%signal strength on most of the others.

I have not added the splitters, so I know this will decrease, but shouldn't very much (I hope!). If it does, I now realize that an amplifier will definitely help.

Shawn, I just saw this post....I saw you mentioned putting it in the attic. Give that a try but you may lose some signal since its in the attic compared to it being mounted outside. Outside is always best especially for channels that are hard to get....Blind

Yeh, I realize that if it were outside I probably wouldn't need an amplifier... But with the amplifier, no issues. Unfortunately, my wife would not allow me to attach it to a pole or roof on/near the house... One dish is enough she says... :)