Help! Service turned off because of lack of phone connection!

HMC is a great thing and I know D* is working on it but eliminate the freaking phone requirement. Most houses with Satellite also have internet connections. Use the net not a freaking phone. Have phone as a backup for those without net access, tivo has a net connection and it works great.

First I never said you were a crook. But accounts of your type have a higher % of account stacking and you will get audited from time to time.

Both Dish and Directv have shown prototype of a computer based system with networking off of 1 box using your Electrical line in your house at show such as CES ect. so they are not that far off.

P.S. And you will all want this for free too I suppose.

rowemance said:
But accounts of your type have a higher % of account stacking and you will get audited from time to time.

So, because only a certain number of thugs is doing it, EVERYBODY ELSE IS SUPPOSED TO PUT UP WITH sh*t LIKE THIS FROM E*??? give me a break!

Btw, who's getting ANYTHING for free??? All of my boxes are self-owned, not leased... all paid for in CA$H... heck, I was even considering dropping $650 for a 942, but after the latest firmware disaster, I decided it wasn't a good idea after all.

Also, what part of 'I'VE PAID AN AVERAGE OF $120-$150 A MONTH FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS, PLUS ALL THE $$$ THEY GET FROM ME FOR THEIR SEASON TICKET PACKAGES' didn't you understand?

I pay for all my stuff... I'm not the typical guy who's always looking to get stuff for free, even if it means getting crappy quality and crappy service.

I make pretty good money working very hard and I'm not afraid to use it, especially if it is for my personal enjoyment or that of my family's.

I'm sorry but this is Dish's problem, and they have no business putting it off on their customers. Honest customers shouldn't be penalized or harassed by E* failure to keep up with technology. IMHO.

NightRyder

rowemance said:
But accounts of your type have a higher % of account stacking and you will get audited from time to time.

So, because only a certain number of thugs is doing this, EVERYBODY ELSE IS SUPPOSED TO PUT UP WITH THIS sh*t FROM E*??? give me a break!

Btw, who's getting ANYTHING for free??? All of my boxes are self-owned, not leased... all paid for in CA$H... heck, I was even considering dropping $650 for a 942, but after the latest firmware disaster, I decided it wasn't worth it.

Also, what part of 'I'VE PAID AN AVERAGE OF $120-$150 A MONTH FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS, PLUS ALL THE $$$ THEY GET FROM ME FOR THEIR SEASON TICKET PACKAGES' didn't you understand?

I pay for all my stuff... I'm not the typical guy who's always looking to get stuff for free, even if it means getting crappy quality and crappy service.

I make pretty good money working very hard and I'm not afraid to use it, especially if it is for my personal enjoyment or that of my family's.

If the service is so crappy go to cable and see the Quality of there service and maybe you'll save so money too. HA HA in your wildest dreams.

Also Dish has always had a rule that all receivers are required to be hooked up to a phone line they just never really enforced it.

rowemance said:
If the service is so crappy go to cable and see the Quality of there service and maybe you'll save so money too. HA HA in your wildest dreams.

I'm sure you know how to read, but do you 'really' know how to do it (as in understanding the meaning of what you're reading)? I'm starting to believe that you don't.

I've heard stories like this for quite a while.. my favorite one is about a customer who had 5 rcvrs on his account and his cell phone was the only contact number... well, they called to do the "test" and of course he wasn't at home, they called while he was at work... cell phones are mobile, y'know... so they shut off all his rcvrs until he was able to go home and verify their existance.

Account stacking is happening, while installing I saw a ton of this and I've reported every one of them. They should target people using Dish movers, people are using that to get the dish installed at their second location.

bcshields,

I have no problem with them calling and asking for verification. I'd gladly verify that all of mine are located in the same place.

My main problem is with the whole 'we're, irrevocably, shutting off receiver XYZ from your account' thing.

Why do they have to go so far and do this? that's totally abusive from their part. Also, if they can't reach you the first time... why don't send you a 'friendly' reminder that if the next time they call you cannot verify the location of your receivers, they will suspend your account... but noooo, that's TOO EASY, and TOO CUSTOMER ORIENTED... instead, they have to bully you based on the presumption that you're a thug and that you're stacking, and as such, they have to shut your service right away.

And that, if you ask me, is total BS.

I highly doubt that they only tried to call once just like someone else said earlier he saw a couple of calls on his caller ID and never called back until his service was shut off. When your service is shut off its amazing how fast you call.

And as much as you don't want to believe account stacking is a huge problem and it cost all of us money in higher rates.

And I agree you have every right not to have a phone line in your house.

But they have every right to verify that all the receivers you have are in your house and if they have to shut off your service to get you to respond then I guess that is what has to be done.

And in my 6 plus years of installing Dish and Directv I have reported about a dozen or so suspected violations.

And remember no one PRESUMES YOU AS A THUG.

BUT THEY DO HAVE TO PROTECT THE SERVICE

There are many things Dish could have done to limit account sharing long ago. They had the perfect opportunity when they designed DP and DPP LNBFs and switches, but they chose not to make that technology investment. Now they inconvenience and harass honest customers because they lacked vision. Any way you slice it, this practice reflects poorly on E*.

NightRyder

bcshields said:
I've heard stories like this for quite a while.. my favorite one is about a customer who had 5 rcvrs on his account and his cell phone was the only contact number... well, they called to do the "test" and of course he wasn't at home, they called while he was at work... cell phones are mobile, y'know... so they shut off all his rcvrs until he was able to go home and verify their existance.

*grin* And I see a hole in their plan. Those receivers should have all been deactivated FOREVER!!!One!!! because he might have been lying and was going to pick them all up so he could verify!! :eek:

(you know I'm kidding)

So tell me, if they disable their own leased boxes can they fine you for damaging them? If not, that sounds like the most fun way to cancel with them :yes

I feel really sorry for the dude who bought a freaking 942 and such. This is seriously almost like the cable company calling you on the purpose of basic cable:

We're just checking to make sure you don't have any splitters on your line and you're only using 1 TV as you agreed to!!

Now turn on your TV now!!! Give me that serial number!!! Wait.. no serial?! YOU FRAUD! I'm cutting your account off!

I've been a D* subscriber since 1994. I used to install D* & Dish for a few years in the late 90's, Satellite TV being the only thing to watch around here. I'm not here to bash Dish, just to give my opinions and ideas on this phone line BS...

I live way out in the sticks, literally. My house was built in the 60's and had very few phone lines run when I moved into it in 1994. I use to run a 20' phone line once a month or so to my receivers overnight so they could "call in" since then I've run phone lines to most of my receivers.

D* has enforced the phone line rule in the past, I know of several people including myself who have had a receiver turned off over the years due to an absence of a phone connection. However D* seems to have slacked off on the enforcement in recent years. I have a receiver in a spare room that has been going for more than a year without being hooked to a phone line.

I've heard of 4 guys at the place I presently work who share an account, they just take the receiver to the "home address" once a month overnight to "call in". They have been doing this for more than 3 years. :shocked

Key point: Never tell the CSR you have a receiver that stays in the family camper, they will tell you to get another account for it.

A friend of mine who can't get home phone service where he lives, has a "Boat" account for his receivers. He does own a shrimpboat, lol. I've heard of others doing this with RV accounts, but I think now that D* and Dish want proof that the receivers are in an RV when activated....

i worked for dnsc for over a year and been contracting for 5 yrs and i have never been told tha any of dish receivers HAD to be hooked up i was told that the dual ones did just to get the second tv for free that is the only situation i have ever been told to do that

Today I received another threatening pone recording from dish. The recording stated that they received some returned mail from me and that if I did not return the phone call that my service would be deactivated. I returned the call and they read me my correct address. And the CSR rep asked if I had talked to the phone line audit team yet. I stated yes last week. I also asked why was I getting threatened 3 times this month with deactivation and that they had turned off two of my receivers already this month. The CSR responded that they are trying to work on the audit problems and that he was sorry.

1. Why does dish call with a recording if they are wanting to talk to me and having ME call them back.

2. How many times is someone supposed to get threatned in a month?

"I'd gladly verify that all of mine are located in the same place." Lets look at that line for a second. I can only watch one TV at a time, if I lived in NY during the week and Jersey on the weekends, should I have to cart my IRD back and forth to watch TV? On the flip side, should I have to pay double because I live in two places and Dish can’t figure out how to handle my situation? I'm paying for a service, why is it that the IRDs have to be in the same location? Why not have the smart cards transferable and therefore I take my service with me?

Sure, if I could convince my clients that the software I program for them is only for use in their New York office and if they want to use the same software in the Miami office they need to pay me double, I would love it! I would have more money for TV! We shouldn’t blindly accept what is being thrown at us under the blanket term “The Rules” is all I’m saying.

faster68 said:
"I'd gladly verify that all of mine are located in the same place." Lets look at that line for a second. I can only watch one TV at a time, if I lived in NY during the week and Jersey on the weekends, should I have to cart my IRD back and forth to watch TV? On the flip side, should I have to pay double because I live in two places and Dish can’t figure out how to handle my situation? I'm paying for a service, why is it that the IRDs have to be in the same location? Why not have the smart cards transferable and therefore I take my service with me?

Sure, if I could convince my clients that the software I program for them is only for use in their New York office and if they want to use the same software in the Miami office they need to pay me double, I would love it! I would have more money for TV! We shouldn’t blindly accept what is being thrown at us under the blanket term “The Rules” is all I’m saying.

I guess I wasn't explicit enough. I do understand why E* does the whole 'audit' deal. I'd be more than willing to help them verify mine if they ever decide to call me due to the number of receivers I own. The problem I have is with the 'HOW' are they doing it. Threatening a paying, loyal customer??? that's BS.

I totally agree with your general ideas. It's difficult to believe that in this day and age we're still being treated like this by a service provider like E*.

bcshields said:
Account stacking is happening, while installing I saw a ton of this and I've reported every one of them. They should target people using Dish movers, people are using that to get the dish installed at their second location.

Yeah? Well maybe if Dish Cust. Service wouldn't OFFER the customers this Movers option, we wouldn't have this problem. My customers have flat out TOLD me that when they call Cust. Svc for a 2nd dish in their vacation home, the rep offered the movers program to cover it. Believe me, it's happening.

And one other thing. If you set up a customer and they have no phone line for a dual tuner, cust. svc will gladly send a 'phone test bypass' activation hit the receivers, and they have to just pay the extra receiver fee. But... Dish has a regulation saying that all receivers must be hooked up to a phone line? Hmmm... I guess it's OK to overlook it to get that new customer?

I'm not trying to be a rag, I just wish people would play fair. We are not crooks. But let's face it- if there was a phone jack in every coax location and cell phones didn't exist, we wouldn't have this problem now would we?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts