Help! Service turned off because of lack of phone connection!

Being told what the county assessor said what square footage my house is would have put many over the edge and would have resulted in me and many if not most others telling them off and having them shut the service off. If they go this far with me I am done with them and going to DirecTv. I think that is going way too far. If someone wants five receivers then they should be allowed to have them no matter how big or small their house is.

DirecTV had no problems setting up my 4 receiver system when I told them that I did not and would not ever have a land line. The only limitation is that you have to order PPVs and sports subscriptions over the internet or by calling their 1-800 number. It's too bad their competition hasn't gotten over the fact that there are many people that are cell phone only, be it by choice or necessity.

stoney said:
1-888-462-8902

Well I loaded my BS canon and called the number. Talk about someone getting flustered. I told her that I got home today and there was this phone number on my caller ID. She was laughing then asked me how many accounts I have. I told her one and she said "we didn't call you". I then asked her how this number got on my caller ID? She was laughing really uncomfortably. She asked me if there was a message left I told her no. She said again "no, nobody called you!!" I told her again that yes someone did call and the number was on my caller ID. I then asked asked her what this number was for? and she said "This is Dish Network" and laughed like crazy again. I said "obviously!". She roared :) She then asked me how many accounts I have associated with this phone number I told her one and I have only one receiver. She was quiet again for a few seconds and then said "Nobody called you (still laughing). I asked her what the phone number was for again and she asked me again how many accounts I had. I told her I STILL only had one account. I then asked her if this was a "posse" phone number calling me to try and get money out of me. At this point she was having trouble breathing she was laughing so hard and said AGAIN "Nobody called you!" I said "Well you did call here today because the number showed up on my caller ID. Maybe you guys were calling me to let me know that I won a brand new High Definition DVR!" At this point she totally lost it. While catching her breath she said "YOU WISH! We don't even have any of the prizes yet" (hmmmm what does this mean?) Anyway she then told me that my account was up to date and to have a good weekend. As she was hanging up I could hear her laughing like mad.

What the hell just happened :) Anyway that was well worth the "probe".

LM

I went cell phone only a month ago. I was tired of paying SBC $60/mth for nothing. We just use Nextel's with the free direct-connect feature alot. I know my co-worker had Direct and he has no phone line and he never had a problem. He just has to call cust. svc. to order PPV. I have Dish and haven't ahd a problem yet, except for having to do a front-panel reset a few times. The installer said a phone line was only necessary for ordering programs with your remote and if you had a dual tuner you could wave the $5 fee if you had a phone line connected to it. I hope they don't try this crap with me. I would hate to have to cancel.

My last 2 monthly bills fom Dish network had the $9.98 charge for programming Access Fee for 2 receivers.I called and they said it was for not having phone lines hooked to the 2 receivers.The problem is I do have them both hooked to phone lines but I think since I got SBC Yahoo DSL internet service and I had to put those filters on anything that is connected to phone lines it is some how blocking the Dish Network receivers from dialing out so thst they can locate them. Has anyone else had this problem?What did you do to remedy the problem?I dont want to pay the $10.00 extra a month for this but Dish Network says its my responsibilty to figure the problem out myself!!! If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it!!! Thanks

I currently have only one receiver hooked to a phone line and it is also going thru a DSL filter with no problems though.

I have to say that I have never had any problems with the audit police. I’ve been a subscriber since 1998. I have moved about 4 times (to different states) during that period of time. I have 5 receivers and none has ever been connected to a phone line. My wife and I are cell phone only users. I am not opposed to connecting to a phone line, I just do not want to pay for a phone line simply for the purpose of connecting my receivers to one. During moves, my wife and I would always take 1-2 receives with us while in temporary housing. I would always call Dish and let them know which receivers we had with us. In cases of extended temporary living, I would have the receivers in our old home turned off temporarily. Again, I never had to do anything more than give the receiver ID’s and the new address to Dish. Even when I would fly back to the house to oversee the movers, the TV’s and receivers still worked fine. I would think that all the moves (and lack of a phone line) would make me a prime candidate for an audit, but nothing to date. I've checked current and past bills and have never been charged any additional fees for not being connected (other than the DVR fee).

gschein said:
I have to say that I have never had any problems with the audit police. I’ve been a subscriber since 1998. I have moved about 4 times (to different states) during that period of time. I have 5 receivers and none has ever been connected to a phone line. My wife and I are cell phone only users. I am not opposed to connecting to a phone line, I just do not want to pay for a phone line simply for the purpose of connecting my receivers to one. During moves, my wife and I would always take 1-2 receives with us while in temporary housing. I would always call Dish and let them know which receivers we had with us. In cases of extended temporary living, I would have the receivers in our old home turned off temporarily. Again, I never had to do anything more than give the receiver ID’s and the new address to Dish. Even when I would fly back to the house to oversee the movers, the TV’s and receivers still worked fine. I would think that all the moves (and lack of a phone line) would make me a prime candidate for an audit, but nothing to date. I've checked current and past bills and have never been charged any additional fees for not being connected (other than the DVR fee).

Since they changed to the yellow cards, this seems to be their new focus, audits. It also seems they do areas of the country at a time, probably by area code. There is another thread about 3 people in OK getting hit the same week.

I'd say you'll get hit sooner or later. As long as all your receivers are where they're supposed to be, it won't be a big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)