HELP - Toslink Switcher?

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi and HELP!
I got a new DVD player today that only has DD and DTS on optical output. While my receiver has 2 optical inputs one is for CD which limits my ability to adjust for movie related stuff. The other is being used by the 510 PVR. I would like to get a switch to 'share' the PVR's current slot, and am having a hard time finding one. Does anybody know where I can get one? I've tried Radio Shack, a local parts type store, Best Buys' website and Circiut City's website. Amazon had a couple but they all had 'ships in 1 to 2 weeks' and I'd rather not wait. My old DVD player had both optical and 'RCA' type digital outputs. I'd also be happy if there was a thing to convert the optical to 'RCA' type.
Anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks for the tip. Guess I'll order one today. Also they had a device to convert the optical into the 'RCA' digital also, for $12, think I''ll get both, between them I should get this working. I cannot believe that this isn't a common thing in the stores. By the way, I'd seen these on ebay and they are asking $20 + for some of them.

Can't go wrong with monoprice.com. I bought the 2X1 manual HDMI switch, 6' HDMI cable, 3' toslink optical all for under 50 bucks and all work flawlessly.

Jeff

Ordered one

Thanks for the tip and the people who commented in. I did buy both the switch and the thing to convert the signal into the RCA style connection. Will try the RCA one first, and the other as a 'backup plan'. Very impressed so far with the company. Kind of 'bothered' me, to pay for shipping as they are only 10 minutes or so from my house. But thier hours are not compatible with my work hours. Ordered Sunday mid-morning and they've already indicated it's shipped and gave me a tracking number (a couple of hours later). I expect it would be here in a day or two seeing as it's so close.
Will keep them on my list for sure. Thanks again for the great tip.

I have one of the Monoprice converters to covert Toslink to coaxial digital and it works great. I needed another Toslink in on my receiver and had an open coaxial digital in so this little converter was a real find.

Just curious, you say that one of your Toslink inputs is for CD and this limits you, are you not able to match a video in to this audio input? My receiver also has a Toslink in labeled CD but I'm able to match any video in to that via a video select on the front of my receiver (only have to do it once), you may want to check your manual if you haven't already.

I may take another look to make sure, but as I remember I was limited to 'audio modes' when in CD. The other 'video' inputs allow me to customize for that. I spent a LOT on this receiver, and I'm very disappointed in it for a lot of things. I wish I'd returned it when I bought it. Just figured I'd 'figure it out' sometime, and now that I do, I find lots of things I'm not happy with. But also the home theater 'movement' was just getting under way then. Oh well, I've learned with a lot of stuff, paying more is not always the best course in electronics :)

I have one of the Monoprice converters to covert Toslink to coaxial digital and it works great. I needed another Toslink in on my receiver and had an open coaxial digital in so this little converter was a real find.

Just curious, you say that one of your Toslink inputs is for CD and this limits you, are you not able to match a video in to this audio input? My receiver also has a Toslink in labeled CD but I'm able to match any video in to that via a video select on the front of my receiver (only have to do it once), you may want to check your manual if you haven't already.

It did not work for me, in my case one of the output cables was 45'.
I settled with Inday switch http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm. It works fine and has a remote.
I second the Inday DA4x. I needed to convert from optical to coax in addition to switching additional inputs. I also found that the Inday switcher gives the coax input priority over the Toslink input, so in my case, I feed the coax output from the ATSC tuner on my Mitsubishi HDTV into one input and the output from a A/D-to-Toslink into the same input. When I select the TV's input on the Inday, it will automatically switch to the Digital Dolby signal if it's present; otherwise it uses the PCM feed from the Toslink audio feed from the TV.

Thank you all, but particularly RandallA! The monoprice was a GREAT suguestion. I got the one you recommended but also they showed what I thought I wanted which is a converter to make the optical into a RCA type. It was $13 and I ordered Sunday, it came today (Tuesday) and 5 minutes later I was enjoying the surround sound. I will save the other unit 'in case'. I'm a happy camper, and Monoprice will be on my bookmarks!
Thanks to everyone!

I have one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

One of the ports stopped working so I now have two working ports but for $7.90 is not that bad. I have my 622 receiver and a DVD player hooked up to my A/V receiver.

Pittsburgh OTA Channel 13

Audio stuttering on ViP622 recorded shows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts