HELP we cannot receive hd only sd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alanarthur

Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
:)

I had a 3lnb dish installed to go with my hr10-250.
We only are getting a signal on satellite A. The installer
says we may have a defective middle lnb, and that we don't
need to get the signal from satellite B. I noticed he did not use RG6 cable but just
regular coax cable.
He said he may try to realign the dish or that we may have to hire
someone else since he is not confident he can get a signal for
satellite B and C. So for now we watch sd only.
I did not call directv because I'm not ready for another 2yr extension.
Thanks for any suggestions.

If you're not upgrading or changing service, you will not be hit with a 2 year commitment. Did you find this installer on the side of the road or what? Was this set up through DTV? If so, get on the phone. Also, what do you mean he used "regular" cable and not RG-6? This whole deal sounds a little bogus...

2 things strike me as odd here:

1st, he didn't use RG6 and 2nd he said you didn't need sat B? Something seems a bit fishy, I would get a real installer involved as it seems this guy doesn't have a clue!

This installer said that satellite B was being used for the east coast etc. &
so we do not need the signal from B.
The only good thing is that we're getting all the channels in sd from satellite A.

Is it true that we need a signal from satellite C in order to get hd channels? Also could a defective middle lnb be the problem?

Both B (119) and C (110) are used for HD (there are a few networks on A in HD for those who qualify). There are also SD locals on B for some areas. All of the new HD from the satellite launched yesterday will require a 5 LNB dish (and new receiver).

When was your install? You may call and complain about the missing signals and they may waive the charge to come out and fix it.

If it has been a while since your install, you could signup for the protection plan, wait 30 days, then place the trouble call.

Sounds like he just didn't peak 110/119. The cable may be RG6 and just not labeled. I wouldn't worry unless it specifically states RG59 on it. If that is the case the installer needs to be reported for using improper materials.

After checking the cable - - it says catv 18awg.
Is that rg6 ? Also is it possible that the middle lnb is
defective and causing the problem as the installer said ?

Thanks again for any advice.:)

After checking the cable - - it says catv 18awg.
Is that rg6 ? Also is it possible that the middle lnb is
defective and causing the problem as the installer said ?

Thanks again for any advice.:)
It is always possible for a new product to be defective. So far the installer has the greater chance of being defective.:)

All true above. HD comes from all 3 sats.

And if you are wanting HD from DirecTV you really need the *5* LNB dish, the 3 LNB dish will do you no good for all the new HD. Of course neither will your HR10 as you'll need an H20 or HR20 (DVR) to get the new HD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)