Help with "Not Supported Mode"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

krolmec

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
I just purchased a Samsung 40"LCD and connected it to HD20 with HDMI cable and keep getting message "Not Supported Mode" on TV screen. In tv owners manuel sts. check maximum resolution and frequency of the video adapter. Compare these values with the data in the display mode. What does this mean? When I use component videos works fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a message from the TV or from the DirecTV receiver?

What resolutions are compatible with your samsung? 720p? 1080i? both? I am guessing it wants you to select the corresponding resolution on the DirecTV receiver. So TV = 720p so set the DBS at 720p as well.

I would make sure to stay away from DirecTV set to NATIVE mode or any setting that mention 4:3.

Last edited:
What is your exact model number?

Addition: I saw this while trying to research for you. Try resetting up the picture mode an output resolution. (still guessing)

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/16307.html

Prepare for "Not Supported Mode" Messages, July 11, 2006
Reviewer: Aquarices (maryland) - See all my reviews
This TV is great.....as long as you're not hooking anything up to it. Want to watch a movie on your progressive scan DVD player? "Not Supported Mode". Want to connect an HD cable box using HDMI/DVI? "Not Supported Mode". Have an Xbox 360 that you want to use as a DVD player? "Not Supported Mode". Ugh. I am so sick of the screen going black with a pop-up box saying "Not Supported Mode" that this TV is going back from whence it came.

I've tried fiddling with different hook-ups and cables for almost a week now and have had no luck. I can hook up the HD cable box with component connections, but not HDMI/DVI. I can play games on my Xbox 360, but can't watch DVDs on it. I can use an old 480i DVD player and it will work fine, but my newer progressive scan will not. All of these work fine on the 2 other (older) HDTV's I've tried them on, so it's nothing on my end, it's the TV. The only reason it gets 2 stars is because the picture is nice. But I can't justify $700 for a TV that isn't compatible with high end gear. You've been warned.

and

5 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
Really disappointed about the "Not supported Mode", December 29, 2006
Reviewer: Genghis Khan (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I have been buying Japanese brands all my life in believing that Japanese electronics product is simply the best in terms of quality and reliability for general consumers. But I have been hearing really good things about Samsung's line of TV and the contrast ratio of 3000:1 on this TV made me pull the trigger.

I am just very disappointed because the complaint about the "Not supported mode" is very true. It appears that this TV doesn't like to support progressive scan from a progressive scan DVD player. It does fine with HDTV signals which are currently at 720p or 1080i but half of my use of this TV is to watch DVDs on a progressive scan dvd player. Yes, I can still watch DVDs by disabling the progressive mode of the DVD and watching it in 480i. But that's like going backwards 5 years.
And the thing about Xbox 360 makes perfect sense. If you are playing games on it, you are most likely in HD mode so it works, but if you are trying to watch a DVD, then you are in progressive scan mode (480p) so it doesn't work. I am just deeply disappointed in Samsung that they failed me like this on my very first Samsung purchase. This is a basic mode that they overlooked. Who knows what might go wrong next? This TV is going back to the store. The TV itself is very nice actually. Nice sleek look, great picture from HD signals, but it still left a really bad taste in my mouth that Samsung couldn't get one of the most basic things right.

My tv is LN-S4052D supports 1080i (HDTV), 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 720p (HDTV). "Not supported mode" is message through tv. What is DBS mode? And how do you set to native mode? Is this done through tv or hr20? Do you set Resolution mode by pressing resolution button on front of dvr because I tried that with out success.

My reciever locked up the other day and after resetting it I got this same message. I have a 42" sammy plasma. The box was coming up in 480i. I hooked the components up and I got a picture. While connected through the components I switched the resolution back to 1080i. When I went back to the HDMI input I had a picture again. So make sure your HR20 is set to 1080i.

Thanks I'll try that. When I originally set it up I chose 720P and not 1080i, should I go back and select both 720p and 1080i? does that matter?

720p and 1080i are subjective decisions. I would imagine your TV's native resolution is 720p. I personally do not see any difference since my tv will down res 1080i to 720p. I mainly keep it on 1080i so the box looks symetrical with the lights! LOL I know that is goofy but since I don't see a difference between 720P and 1080i, I don't care!
So best thing is to try both and decide what works best for you.

Mkatts thanks for your help. I did what you said. Kept the components connected switched resolution to 720p and added hdmi and disconnected comp. cables. Works great. thanks to everyone else who replied.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)