Help with Panasonic SA-XR55S

Jackm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Last night I installed the new Panasonic SA-SR55S receiver with the two optic inputs...I followed their instructions, how they explain to set things up, but must have done something wrong, because I can't get anything to come in in surround....I was feeding the audio from Directv - which had several movies xmitter in surround last night. I have a sub, left and right Front - Center and two speakers in the back. Thanks for any help and suggestions....

The first obvious question......your DirecTv receiver is a Dolby Digital receiver, right?

Ok, you'll probably need to go into your Panny's setup menus, and enable the optical input you used (been awhile since I've done this). Will also have to let it know that the sat is using that input (assign that source to that input), so when you push the dbs/tv button, it will know to use that digital input, and output digital sound.

You will probably also need to go into the setup menus, for DirecTv, and set it for digital output, for the audio.

Is surround totally new to you, or did you just upgrade the A/V receiver? If new to you, you'll also need to go into your dvd player's setup menus, and set it for digital audio output. Set it to "Bitstream" or "Raw" (not PCM), whichever terminology it uses. You'll also need to set your receiver to "Digital Auto". You should have a button labelled "Input Analog/Digital, or similar. When you push it once, twice, or three times, it should display something like "Analog", "Digital", and "Digital Auto". Once "Digital Auto" is displayed, leave it. Then, when you play something with a digital signal (dvd or sat channel), it will automatically play in 5.1 surround, if that's the kind of signal it is. For DTS tracks, on a dvd, you'll need to go into the movie menus, and choose DTS soundtrack from the Language menu, or from the Audio Setup menu. It won't auto detect dts, from a movie. It will auto detect a DTS cd though.

Again, if you're new to this, you'll need to set speaker distances, and levels, in your Panny's setup menus. Also enable the subwoofer. For the speaker levels, the ideal thing is to get an SPL (sound pressure) meter from Radio Shack, and an HT Tuneup Disc, such as the Avia tuneup disc or Sound & Vision tuneup disc. I think you can order Avia from Amazon.com, and get the S&V tuneup disc from Best Buy. If you buy an SPL meter, try to get the analog meter. It's easier to use. With this combo, you can get the volume from each speaker, to be exactly the same, at the sweet spot (your seat), so no speaker is louder, and drowns out the dialog and other stuff.

The part about enabling the digital input, and assigning it to the dbs/tv............... you'll need to do that for the dvd player, and whatever other digital inputs you use.

If you're new to this, I hope this helped some. If you just upgraded your A/V receiver, you probably already knew most of this.
Good luck! Any more questions, just ask, and we'll see what we can figure out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)