HELP!

lifeguard84

Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Redwood City
I just bought the Samsung UN46B6000 LED HDTV and I do not have surround sound when I hook my Xbox 360 up to the TV.

I have a DVD player/surround sound system that has Monster Cables (R,G,B component cables) running into the TV. At the same time, I have two audio cables from the surround system to the TV. The TV itself only has one set of analog jacks, it then has 4 HDMI jacks and other various inputs.

I have surround sound when watching a movie or any DVD on the surround system/player. No problem. However, when I run my HDMI cable from my 360 to the TV I have sound only through the TV not the surround system. With my previous TV (Samsung LN-T3253H), I had the same exact setup and I had surround sound for both DVDs and my Xbox.

I do not know what is wrong. When I went to Best Buy they could not help me either!

I am in desperate need of assistance, someone out there please help!!!!

Oh, I have tried linking the audio output that came with the 360 to the TV, but it did not produce sound. I have not tried the fiber optic deal, but I do not want to buy more cables.

Welcome to the forum, lifeguard84!

Not all TV sets support passing digital audio from HDMI input to HDMI (or some other type of audio) output.
One thing to try though is this: connect your HDMI cable to a different HDMI port: try HDMI1 input if you haven't tried it yet.

If this doesn't work, you will need to connect the digital audio output from the Xbox to your surround system/player.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, lifeguard84!

Not all TV sets support passing digital audio from HDMI input to HDMI output.
One thing to try though is this: connect your HDMI cable to a different HDMI port: try HDMI1 input if you haven't tried it yet.

If this doesn't work, you will need to connect the digital audio output from the Xbox to your surround system/player.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the welcome Ilya!

I appreciate your response and advice on this matter. I will try this out when I get home. Just to clarify; have the HDMI cable connected to HDMI1 (I have tried two different ports including this one), and then have the audio cables from the Xbox to the surround system; have the surround audio cables going to the TV jacks, am I correct?

Thank you again for your help, I'll let you know how it goes!

You ought to be able to do it without more cables, but if you can't - try monoprice.com for a fiber audio cable (Toslink for $5 or less probably) - you can't beat the price. And shipping should be quick being in CA (~400 miles away).

I'm guessing your dvd/surround system doesn't have a HDMI input.

Just to clarify; have the HDMI cable connected to HDMI1 (I have tried two different ports including this one), and then have the audio cables from the Xbox to the surround system; have the surround audio cables going to the TV jacks, am I correct?
If you are still stuck, please reword this. I can tell if you are asking what you should do or telling us what you already have wired.

Especially the part that says "have the surround audio cables going to the TV jacks". Are you asking if that cable should go from the dvd/surround unit to the TV input? Or are you telling us that you have that cable running from the xbox to the TV input? Or something else?

lifeguard84, let us know what's the brand and model number of your HTIB (surround system/player). It will be easier for us to recommend specific connections.

If you are still stuck, please reword this. I can tell if you are asking what you should do or telling us what you already have wired.

Especially the part that says "have the surround audio cables going to the TV jacks". Are you asking if that cable should go from the dvd/surround unit to the TV input? Or are you telling us that you have that cable running from the xbox to the TV input? Or something else?

I'm asking if this is the setup I should have based on Ilya's recommendation. The only cable I have from the Xbox to the TV is the HDMI cable. There are two sets of cables running from the surround player to the TV; the component cables and the audio cables.

There are audio cables that one can run from the Xbox to the surround system. But because my TV only has the one set of ports, I only have the cables from the surround system connected to the TV.

I really appreciate all the help and patience with my situation. If it helps I'll take some pictures of the setup I have and views of what I am dealing with to give a better understanding what's going on later today.

If I have this correct, you have two sets of HDMI connections. One is from the Home Theater in a box (DVD player/surround)

The other is from the XBOX to the TV.

You have analog audio from the TV connected to the HTIB.

I had nearly this exact setup a couple of months ago. I was using a Denon DCR-700 HTIB receiver and attempting to switch from the TV (Panasonic 50" plasma). I found that the Panasonic only passed through the front channels from the HDMI.

In order to get surround, I needed to connect the output of the XBOX to the HTIB. I used the optical connection, but you should be able to use the analog RCA connectors. The sound will be better with the optical, but you should get Dolby pro-logic surround from the analog connections.

There is also a possibility that your TV is defective. Try what Ilya suggested and connect the XBOX to a different HDMI input and see if it changes anything.

Bottom line: as others have said, the TV probably doesn't deliver surround pass through over HDMI.

It would help if we knew the brand/model number of the HTIB.

Here are some photos to see what it is I'm working with.

The first one is the TV.

The second is the back of the JVC DVD Player XV-THC5.

The third and fourth are of the Xbox. One picture shows the audio connection.

Hope this gives a better idea and how to help!

Attachments

• 100_2263.JPG
    100_2263.JPG
    671.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_2265.JPG
    100_2265.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
  • 100_2267.JPG
    100_2267.JPG
    458.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 100_2268.JPG
    100_2268.JPG
    836.5 KB · Views: 167
You just need to give your surround sound system a direct audio input from the Xbox to get the surround audio. The cable I mentioned earlier (make sure it's the right one) is less than $3 and not much more for shipping.

• Buy this: Monoprice 12FT Optical Toslink Cable
  • Connect it to what you are holding in PIC#4 on one end (after removing the plastic dust caps)
  • Connect it to the input just to the right of the white RCA plug in PIC#3 on the other end.
  • Make sure both the Xbox and THC5 are using the digital audio setting
  • You should then have surround audio from your Xbox
The digital audio input of your JVC THC5 (seen on page 13 of your owners manual) is the best because you are already using the RCA connection. This is a very simple thing to try and hardly costs anything. Let us know what happens after you try those steps.

Here is the owners manual for your surround sound unit if you need it (most likely this is the right one):
http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/93/GVT0150-001D.pdf

I also found this cable (shown in the attached picture) if your's doesn't work (mabye you already have it).

Attachments

• cableswitch5ia.jpg
    cableswitch5ia.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
As bebop said!
Just get a Toslink cable ($2.70 at Monoprice), connect the Xbox to the THC5 directly and you will get the best sound possible with your setup.

Good luck!

A big thanks to those who helped me out with my problem!

I was finally able to purchase a digital optical audio cable and connected the Xbox to the surround system, and lo and behold! It works and sounds spectacular!

I really appreciate all the research, information, and help from you all. Thank you so much! :hatsoff:

Have a great one,

-lifeguard84

A big thanks to those who helped me out with my problem!

I was finally able to purchase a digital optical audio cable and connected the Xbox to the surround system, and lo and behold! It works and sounds spectacular!

I really appreciate all the research, information, and help from you all. Thank you so much! :hatsoff:

Have a great one,

-lifeguard84
That's cool! Especially since last night I also was able to connect the digital audio from my Sat receiver to my Onkyo stereo. The surround sound is awesome compared to the RCA analog (red & white). I never thought it would sound that much better, but it does. (I'm thinking about getting one for my CD player and DVD player now)

Hope you didn't have to pay too much for yours, I got mine for ten times less cost than this site: Expensive 4' Toslink.

Enjoy!