herky-jerky channels anyone?

It is not dropped frames from transmission/solar errors (at least in my case)-if that were the problem then the same frames would still be missing after a rewind or skip-back, which they are not.

My first post!

DishTV family pack here in Connecticut. All fine for three years until six days ago. Random picture freeze and/or audio dropout on all channels. Sometimes random "pixel" block missing. Lasts only a second or two. Happens maybe every 5 to 10 minutes on all stations, day and night. Don't have HD. DP311 box, P417 software. Both satellites green and over 100.

Dish Tech (of course) says my dish needs to be re-aligned for $99. Sure sounds like others are having the same problem.

Hard reset (hold box's power button for 30 secs), power cycle, System Setup (Menu, 6-1-1) accomplish no improvement.

As the problem has been constant for six days, it's obviously not the weather. And as I don't have DVR or a HD it's not hardware. I'm thinking that when folks have the problem and change channels, or do a reset, etc., you think you're "fixing" it when actually the freeze or dropout is so quick it's over before you've really done something.

Maybe the increase in people using HD is "overloading" Dish's output capacity?

Wondering how to fix this. Tech Support doesn't seem to have a clue.

Thanks.
Tom

My 622 has been doing it a couple of weeks too, but seems to fix itself @ a scene change in the show. Doesn't really happen to DVR'd stuff, just live (HD or SD) I haven't tried rebooting because it takes less time for it to correct itself than for the rcvr to reboot.

Rob

Herky Jerky? I have no clue what you mean!
There needs to be a better description.

I've had signal dropouts on 129 (that's discussed to death elsewhere) and the pixelation and/or blockyness that happens there is usually in bunches and comes and goes.

Herky jerky is different. The picture just freezes and then jumps ahead. There is no blocks or bad pixels and it doesn't go away. It is like a series of still pictures and the sound isn't affected. I've let go on for more than two minutes with no change (for the better or worse).

Also I am claiming that it only happens to the digital signal sent to an HDTV. I have composite TV2 sent to my HD set and with TV1 and TV2 viewing the same station only the digital TV1 signal is herky jerky. TV2 analog is smooth

I've been having it on my 622, but it's more like I only see every 15th frame and it stays up for half a second.

I was hitting "swap-swap" for a while, but now it seems like you just wait 10 seconds or so and it clears itself up.

Also I am claiming that it only happens to the digital signal sent to an HDTV. I have composite TV2 sent to my HD set and with TV1 and TV2 viewing the same station only the digital TV1 signal is herky jerky. TV2 analog is smooth

I use an analog signal to my HDTV (since HDMI STILL doesn't work right), so it's not a digital thing. But it could be an HD thing. Next time it happens, I will run in the other room and check the SD signal.

Maybe the increase in people using HD is "overloading" Dish's output capacity?

Ummmm...WHAT?

It's not a signal thing, because on a DVR, once you get it fixed, you can back up and the picture is normal. If it was a bad signal, it would record a bad signal.

Has anybody gotten an answer from Dish on this?
I had to reboot to clear this problem yesterday.

I started a recording while this was happening and the playback was jerky but I haven't tried playing it on TV2 yet.

Come to think of it I think I trashed the recording so now I will have to wait to try this.

Warren

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)