Hook up question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikemosun

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Im getting D* installed on sat and right now i have Comcast digital cable.My cable is split into 4 rooms now,can i use the same cable when i have the D* installed it would save a lot of time,its the round coax cable.How long does it take for a 4 room install?

First of all, no splitters are allowed for satellite installations. Except for SWM installs. If not SWM, you'll need two cables to each DVR location. The dish will require all four lines run. If you need more than four lines then a multiswitch will be used. If it is SWM, then the existing could be used if it is RG6.

As to how long it takes for the install, that depends on the installer and what it entails. I suggest that you look at your situation and try to determine how and where the lines should go. For future upgrades, have all four lines from the dish located in a common location. Then distribute from there.

If all of the cables feed to a common point and you aren't getting any DVRs, it will probably work (depending on the cable type/quality).

Also, if they give you a dish with built-in single wire multiswitch, it should work with that setup. It may depend on how many tuners (DVR=2) you have, since the dish itself supports 4 and the maximum for the SWM is 8. More than 8 would require two external multiswitches. The choice is probably up to the installation company and installer.

This weekend I took it upon myself to make a multimedia station in my basement. I have all my homes communications going to a centralized location with patch panels (coax, data, and phone).

Here is my plan for my coax wiring. What do y'all think? Will this work out? Can I have my PI in a room after the line has been diplexed or am I better off putting the PI before my diplexer in the basement as it currently is?

dy4th3.jpg
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dy4th3&s=4

How long does it take for a 4 room install?

While it may be coax cable, that doesn't mean it is RG-6 cable so the installer may have to run all new cabling anyway.

As to the time for the install, DirecTV figures an hour per receiver and an hour for the dish, with an additional 1/2 hour if you're getting HD. So a SD 4 Room would take about 5 hours, and for HD it would be 5.5 hours.

This weekend I took it upon myself to make a multimedia station in my basement. I have all my homes communications going to a centralized location with patch panels (coax, data, and phone).

Here is my plan for my coax wiring. What do y'all think? Will this work out? Can I have my PI in a room after the line has been diplexed or am I better off putting the PI before my diplexer in the basement as it currently is?

dy4th3.jpg
I'm not sure you can diplex in the OTA before the SWM switch but I haven't tried it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.