Hopper 3 Cooling fan

bonnjer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I got a new Hopper 3 a couple weeks ago to replace my old one. It's been working just fine. I have it in the same place as the old one - plenty of ventilation in the portion of the entertainment center it's in (there's a large opening on the back of the entertainment center). The reason why I bring that up is because I happened to touch the top of my entertainment center and noticed it was warm. Then I touched the Hopper 3 and noticed it was quite warm. It was working just fine, no issues. Checked the settings and it showed no heat notifications. I grabbed my flashlight to check the cooling fan and it was turning. I thought it odd that it wouldn't be on when the unit was so warm. I grabbed a small tool and gently touched the fan blade to see if it was stuck. Immediately, the fan started running. I'm checking it periodically and it's still running and the unit is cooling down. Seems like a bit of a fluke, but figured I'd turn to the experts here for thoughts.

I got a new Hopper 3 a couple weeks ago to replace my old one.
If the fan was stuck at first, then I think it's on it's way out. Bearing lubricant gets old and sticky. Must be a refurbished unit.

I would expect the hdd to be the first component to fail. I guess you might let it run this way, chancing that the fan will get stuck again. But if you do, I'd move every important recording on an EHD ASAP.

Replace an old H3 that sat long on the shelf with another- H3 that sat long on the shelf?

If handy, clean and relube. Or external fan - on a side, IIRC?

Did you mean “wasn’t?”
Yep, definitely meant "wasn't." I hate when my brain doesn't tell my fingers the right thing to type.

It's been a couple days and the fan has been working fine. The Hopper is operating at a normal temperature - warm, but not too warm. Outside case temp is about 98 F on the right side and 85 F on the left (fan side). The other day when the fan wasn't turning, it was about 107 on the right side.

navychop or anyone else who may know, would a fan like this on the right side of the Hopper 3 work to pull the hot air out? USB cooling fan

Reason I ask is that the fan needed a nudge again today after working for multiple days. I'd really rather not have to go through the hassle of getting Dish to send a replacement H3 and then sending this one back if something like that external fan would do the trick.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You'd have to seal it against the existing fan holes to get enough pressure to nudge it. You'd probably have better luck putting it on the other side and push air in. The fan area is the only place it can exit so will build a little pressure.
I'd still just replace the internal fan. If you can use a screwdriver then you can replace the fan.

You'd have to seal it against the existing fan holes to get enough pressure to nudge it. You'd probably have better luck putting it on the other side and push air in. The fan area is the only place it can exit so will build a little pressure.
I'd still just replace the internal fan. If you can use a screwdriver then you can replace the fan.
Where would you buy a replacement fan for this unit? And you just remove a few screws from the case, open it up, disconnect the old fan and connect the new, close it up, and good to go? Nothing fancier than that? If so, I can do that. I've replaced cooling fans in desktops before.

I bought a 4 inch low speed high volume case fan way back when I got my first622 and have had it near the exit side vents on the 622, 722 Hopper 2000 and now my Hopper 3. Unfortunately the business is no longer found on the internet, but others can be "Googled" for less than $30.

I've never had a temperature problem with any of my Dish receivers with this setup.

All you need to do is create a low pressure zone at the exit vents and that will pull in room temp air from every possible crack and crevice around the device to keep it cool, no sealing necessary.

As a matter of fact if you get the fan too close to the unit the noise goes up precipitously, keep it about 1.5 inches away.

Where would you buy a replacement fan for this unit? And you just remove a few screws from the case, open it up, disconnect the old fan and connect the new, close it up, and good to go? Nothing fancier than that? If so, I can do that. I've replaced cooling fans in desktops before.
Pull the fan out and look for part number.
Or measure dimensions and order same size

Probably not, but they will never know. And if they did know or you messed something up it will still be replaced for free no questions asked and no consequences.

Obviously the reman process is a joke if they didn't replace it at the factory.
If it likely ran when they tested it, why would they replace it?