Hopper 3 keeps losing EHD connection

I still have the disappearing drives glitch occasionally, but not as often. The problem I DO have, is that I have to ask it twice to play content off of an external drive. It reads the content, makes a bunch of tiles, and then when I click on the tile, I just get a black screen and it doesn't start the content. I wait a few seconds, go through it again, and it works on the second time, every time.... Is there a way to get it to spin up the drive and recover from the black screen without having to go through multiple key presses a second time?

Did you try unpluging/repluging the EHD/

Yes, but will try again later. Do I have to reboot the drive every single day? Isn't there a way to get the Hopper to process it better. I never had the problem with the external drives on my 722. It just worked every time.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: pattykay
I still have the disappearing drives glitch occasionally, but not as often. The problem I DO have, is that I have to ask it twice to play content off of an external drive. It reads the content, makes a bunch of tiles, and then when I click on the tile, I just get a black screen and it doesn't start the content. I wait a few seconds, go through it again, and it works on the second time, every time.... Is there a way to get it to spin up the drive and recover from the black screen without having to go through multiple key presses a second time?

I haven't found a way to avoid this, and I've seen the same problem on two different brand of drives, one with a powered USB hub,the other a WD Desktop MyBook with it's own power. I see the exact same thing.

I haven't found a way to avoid this, and I've seen the same problem on two different brand of drives, one with a powered USB hub,the other a WD Desktop MyBook with it's own power. I see the exact same thing.

I also use two WD MyBooks. I have had failures with Seagates and Toshibas, but never with the WDs (knock on wood)

Hmm. Just saw that my H3 updated to U347 at 12:39 AM this morning (4/12/17.)

I also noticed that my EHD did NOT dissappear this morning the way it has EVERY morning for a long time? Coincidence? I hope not!
So far so good with U347. The EHD did not disconnect last night and this update seems to have fixed a problem with the Netflix app not initializing and locking up the Hopper.

Ugh, while it isn't disappearing every morning like it used to, suddenly I am seeing some mornings where I wake up to find the EHD gone from the DVR list again. A red button reboot usually fixes it, but I was pretty excited when I thought the update had fixed this for good. :(

Ugh, while it isn't disappearing every morning like it used to, suddenly I am seeing some mornings where I wake up to find the EHD gone from the DVR list again. A red button reboot usually fixes it, but I was pretty excited when I thought the update had fixed this for good. :(

Not Seeing that here. Since the software update the EHD has been there consistently all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Not Seeing that here. Since the software update the EHD has been there consistently all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yeah, it's a lot better - I went a week or so with it showing up every morning, and it was there this morning. Previously every single morning I had to reboot to get it back. But it is still disappearing every once in a while.

Yeah, it's a lot better - I went a week or so with it showing up every morning, and it was there this morning. Previously every single morning I had to reboot to get it back. But it is still disappearing every once in a while.

Welp. it was gone again this morning. It seems to be an every other day thing now. No idea what changed from when the update first came and it went a week or two without the problem.

Welp. it was gone again this morning. It seems to be an every other day thing now. No idea what changed from when the update first came and it went a week or two without the problem.
I still suspect the sleep mode in the EHD, even though you said (I think) you disabled it. My two bare bone internal HDs in docks have appeared constantly in the last two or three months since the initial problem update fix.

Have had my EHD hooked up for six months now and yesterday was the first time it disappeared on my H3. I just disconnected the USB and reconnected it and it was back!

They are both Western Digital My Book drives. Been rock solid on my 722, and 622, and worked fine when I ported them both to my Hopper 3 when I upgrade earlier this year. There must have been some recent update that created this issue as it hasn't been a problem until recently. It is annoying to have to keep unplugging and replugging the drives and then plugging them back into Hopper 3 and then rebooting. There is no hub in between, they are plugged directly into the hopper.
You don't have to unplug. There is a red reset button in upper right behind the front panel. Lower that panel, press & hold red button about 5 seconds. Hopper will reboot. It may take several minutes for the EHD to show up. On occasion, I've had to do this twice. I have a 4 TB Western Digital drive as well.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)